• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Scarrab 195 Steering cable / jet nozzle

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
My nozzle has a play from center to left and right about 2゚ Without moving the steering wheel.
It looks like the steering cable has a play before the actual steering box pulls the cable.
What this does is that I have to constantly be turning the steering wheel left and right to keep the boat straight or hold the steering wheel tight to one side.
Is this normal or should the steering cable be tight to where the nozzle has no play?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It's normal that the nozzle jiggles left/right a bit. But it should be a small amount. I didn't measure, but if I had to estimate 2 degrees seems about right... maybe a bit less.

I don't think that's your problem. Are you having trouble keeping it straight at slower/idle speeds you mean? I assume that's what you mean. This is a common issue with many new boaters and jet boat owners. It will take you some time to learn to adjust the boat to keep it straight. Many tend to oversteer and then correct by oversteering in the other direction. This creates a nice zig zag pattern across the lake. lol It's something you learn to correct for. You have to anticipate the inertia of the boat BEFORE you need to correct and make the small correction needed ahead of time. Boats have a delayed reaction type of thing. You have to react before you practically observe the problem. If you've observed it, it's already "too late" and so you end up zig zagging. Whenever I watch someone else drive my boat, they ALL do it. They are usually surprised at how straight I go.

It will take you time and sadly, some never seem to "get it". The only advice I can give you is practice. Learn to make tiny corrections before you need them. When you've corrected and even before the movement happens, stop making the correction. It's kind of like being psychic. You have to know what the boat will do after keeping your steering wheel in a certain position for a sec and stop doing that before you over correct. Regardless, you'll always be doing small corrections when going slow. Every boat requires this.

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Thanks Luc For your Explanation.
I have learn how to maneuver in low speeds. But and high speeds I have to keep pressure on the steering wheel to the left If I let go of the pressure the boat veers sharp to the right. Being that I have use of my right arm only (lost my left in a car accident) I have to hold the pressure with my knee and throttle down in one second before it veers sharp to the right. The way I can explain it is like a car that needs front end alignment.
I have installed Jet Boat Pilot Thrust Vectors but it only helped at low speeds.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ah. Sorry, I assumed you meant low speed issues which are very common. Yeah, Thrust Vectors don't do anything at higher speeds.

OK, so it's pulling... definitely more complicated to resolve. Weight distribution can be a factor (but I suspect that's not the issue here, it would be subtle). Drag is the most obvious.... like ride plate not installed properly and so it drags in the water. Reverse bucket sitting to low and blocks part of the jet nozzle when in full forward (easy enough to check, make sure when in full forward your bucket latches properly in the UP position and isn't blocking the jet nozzle at all).

Beyond that.... I'm not sure. There isn't much that can cause these boats to turn on their own. There was another member this year who complained of a similar problem, but he never posted his results. I'll tag you there in case he responds. https://jetboaters.net/threads/165-id-pulling-left.26156/

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Thank you Luc for your reply.
When you mention the bucket I started thinking back and there was one time that I took the boat to the dealer and they told me that they adjusted the bucket. Also the dealer told me that they remove the locking spring clip on the bucket because it cost more problems than helped.
I'm going to get the locking pin of the bucket reinstalled and I will let you know how it went.
Thank you very much again for all your insights.

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Ps: Maybe that is why there's a lot of turbulence of water behind the boat because the bucket is dragging. I have gotten stopped by marine patrol thinking that I was going fast when I was only going 5 to 7 miles per hour in no wake zones.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Uh oh... lol yeah, that sounds like the culprit. The latch does not "cause more problems than helped". It locks the bucket in the upward position to prevent it from coming down accidently at speed. I know this because it has happened to me. When I purchased my boat, it was used with 22h. The previous owner/dealer did something like yours as well. They had adjusted the bucket and because they did, it wasn't latching. It's unlikely, but it most DEFINITELY can suddenly drop down enough to catch the jet thrust. If it does, your bucket comes shooting down suddenly and acts as a HUGE anchor. If you're at speed, this means your boat "submarines". The bow will dip downwards underwater and you may have tons of water come over the stern as well. It's freaking SCARY with a family onboard and you can easily flood your entire boat.

If the bucket is properly adjusted, it should go JUST high enough to latch into that spring. It needs to be adjusted to clip properly but not go past it too much. If it's adjusted like this, then your neutral and reverse should be as intended. Usually a slight creep forward in neutral.

The fact that your boat is going the wrong direction tells me the bucket is quite far off. If the dealer did this, definitely insist they fix it. It's definitely a bucket issue. And insist they put the latch spring back in and adjust it properly. You should verify it latches when in full forward after you get it.

And yes, it's very likely causing extra turbulence. How much, I'm not sure... but sounds like this one problem will solve all of these if done correctly.

Let us know how it went once it's all done and tested.

*EDIT* Note, I'm getting old and confused. Crossing two different problems from two different people. lol I scratched off the part that doesn't apply to you. Regardless, the rest does. :)

Last edited:

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Thanks Luc
That is scary what you just said.
I just ordered the bucket clip from the dealer to put it back on.
I'll let you know how he goes one side take it to the water.
Thanks again