• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha AR190 Won't start & weird rattling noises

AZAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everybody, I am having an issue with my 2016 Yamaha AR190 (120 hours). I'm located in Arizona, always had the boat in fresh water and always perform the flush after a day of boating. This weekend decided to head out to the lake so I did my pre-departure check routine and fired the boat up for about 5-8 seconds before leaving the house. I had about 1/2 tank and since I was planning on a full day with the kids, I decided to top off the boat before getting to the lake. I fill up and when we get to the lake, start to unload, the boat wont start. It cranks and turns over but does not stay on. After multiple tries, I decided it was time to head back. When I got home I tried to troubleshoot and checked the following:
  • Batteries (2) - running at 12.4 volts
  • Gas - full tank
  • checked throttle - status ok: when in any position other than manual, engine wont crank
  • checked all kill switches - status ok: when engaged, engine wont crank
  • checked lanyard switch - status ok: when engaged, engine wont crank
  • checked clean out port/hatch switch - status ok: when engaged, engine wont crank
I took a videos: Day 1 - No start

The day after, same result and also seems like there's a rattling noise that I am not sure of whether it's my paranoia at this time or something is really wrong: Day 2 - No start

Any ideas or pointers based on your experience? Thank you in advance!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When was the last time you changed spark plugs?

The rattling sounds somewhat normal when I compare it to my boat. Just the sound it makes when it's out of the water.

AZAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When was the last time you changed spark plugs?

The rattling sounds somewhat normal when I compare it to my boat. Just the sound it makes when it's out of the water.
Hi there, I purchased this boat at 100 hours and the previous seller swore he replaced them :banghead: So I took his word but after yesterday, that was going to be next on my list...

AZAR190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so this is a rookie mistake. It ended up being the Spark plugs!!! Obviously the previous owner did not replace them at 100 hours mark and they finally gave out at 120 hrs. I purchased the owners manual recommended NGK LFR6A or 6668 at O’Rilleys for about $33. Swapped em out and voila! Fired right up on first try. Lesson learned!

Happy boating fellas!

Attachments