• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Yamaha Connext Screen Delamination

Mjones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out on the boat this weekend and notice the bottom of my screen was "peeling". It starts at the bottom and goes up about 1/2 inch. It will clearly keep moving up. I figured it was a quick fix and was taking the boat in for it's 10 hour service so no big deal. Dealer just called and it has to go to Yamaha for approval. Cost to replace the screen is 5000.00 - what??? 1st my boat is keep out of the sun and under a roof. Likely saw more sun at the dealer before I bought it. 2nd, no reason for this with limited use. Hopefully Yamaha will do the right thing. I have to pick it up this weekend and bring it back once authorized. Will post some photos once I get it back.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sucks man and it's happened to others on here. Yamaha should have made a retractable door for the damn thing or just a better tested product.

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get ready for your engine hours to be zero on the connext when you get it replaced. No way of getting the new connext screen to recognize actual # of hours. I just went through the same thing.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yikes....

I'd think that Mother Yamaha would replace the screen...that's what a warranty is for.

I know mine doesn't get the direct sun all that much...and when I leave the boat uncovered in my slip, the cover is on it.

Keep us posted on what Yamaha does...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out on the boat this weekend and notice the bottom of my screen was "peeling". It starts at the bottom and goes up about 1/2 inch. It will clearly keep moving up. I figured it was a quick fix and was taking the boat in for it's 10 hour service so no big deal. Dealer just called and it has to go to Yamaha for approval. Cost to replace the screen is 5000.00 - what??? 1st my boat is keep out of the sun and under a roof. Likely saw more sun at the dealer before I bought it. 2nd, no reason for this with limited use. Hopefully Yamaha will do the right thing. I have to pick it up this weekend and bring it back once authorized. Will post some photos once I get it back.
Did they say it's a defective part?
Not sure what to make of it...

--

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cost to replace the screen is 500 or actually 5000? That's seems a bit steep for a screen that multiple brands of boats use and has been around for a long time. Hell, 500 seems high for just the screen.

Mjones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer told me 5k. I just looked it up and it's 1700.00 for the display unit. We will find out Tuesday.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its not just a screen. Its a screen that also handles networking of 4 different canbus languages as it was added on top of the existing engine and ecm platform instead of a total redesign. I think Actia is the company behind it and yes manufacturing cost is most certainly under a couple hundred bucks in volume but they are charging a premium for all of the R&D on every unit and mother Yamaha makes money on parts too.

As for $5k I think the dealer wants way too much for labor because I think the $1.7 k number is the right cost for the part.

Nauticajetter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Makes more sense for the 1.7k as it is not just waterproof display screen. Thanks for the clarification.

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Did Yamaha replace your connext screen under warranty? I’m having the same issue

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Yamaha did replace it. No issues
Do your hours read right? I’ve read they are unable to get the hours to read after replacing the screen

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen cases where it read back to 0 and one case where it read 99999 or something to that

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mjones What dealer did your Connext replacement? I havent seen anyone say there hours displayed accurately after a screen replacement. Even Yamaha told me and my dealer they didnt know how to program it to carry over the hours.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would have thought the hours came from the ECU but I guess it's stored in the cluster?

It sucks some of these have this delamination issue. I hope the big 12" doesn't suffer the same. Too bad there isn't a sliding protective door or something to keep them out of the sun when not in use. I know some came with covers but not all of them.

Mjones

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes they have a cover for that size but not for the smaller size screen and I'm not sure if the new 12" have one either.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sucks some of you all experienced this. Now I'm kinda worried. I did go ahead and buy an Ipad/tablet black screen protector and I cut it to fit the connext screen. At first the main purpose of this was to eliminate light at night as even the night settings are blinding to me at night time. But having one on all my phones/tablets, I do believe it does cut out the UV rays from the screen. Having the windows tinted also help cut rays out. Attached is the protector and the small one on the left is what I cut out.

Attachments