• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 212X Top Speed

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did ribbon delete (Riva kit) on my ‘15 VXS Waverunner at about 30 hrs from new. It made a huge difference in mid rpm/power, gained about 1 mph in top end. I did not feel much difference from hole shot. The spacer helps to smooth out air coming into intake as the intake has a lip to hold the ribbon in place. It did make a difference I could feel and worth the $40. The VXS has the 1.8 N/A engine. I will soon do the same to my AR195. That stock ribbon is a huge restriction. I have not seen anything over 50 mph yet, currently @ 11hrs

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ribbon delete done on a 60 degree day. I was the only one on the boat, but 56 ain't bad (not GPS confirmed). Fuel was regular with a ton of Stabil from the winter.

View attachment 75494

Wow 8000 RPM'S my 2018 212X only does 6200 on one motor and 6700 on the other. Couldn't tell you the speed, with 14hrs on the motors I have already had the Speedo quit working.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had my brand new 2018 212X on the water today for the very first time. 0.1 hours on the engines when she hit the water. Went through the recommended engine break in process from the manual (idling around for 0.1 hours, below 5K rpm for 30 minutes, below 6K until past 1.5 total hours). The max mph showed 52 mph on the trip meter, presumably from whatever factory shakedown they do.

Anyway, 4 adults on board, Bimini furled, elevation 440 feet, ambient 77 degrees, estimated 5 mph headwind, calm conditions, 70% fuel. Only modification was Lateral Thrusters--ribbons still intact. With about 2 hours on the engines I opened it up. Climbed quickly and steadily to 46 mph, with both engines pushing about 7400 rpm.

Had two adults ("the wives") riding in the bow area, and they were having such a good time that I couldn't bring myself to ask them to move to the center to see if I could get a little more out of it. But overall, given the relatively warm temperatures, the weight and distribution, and an undoubtedly tight motors, I was fine with both the mph and the rpm on day 1. No doubt in my mind that in cooler weather by myself (or with two people) and 10+ hours on the engines, it's easily a 50 mph+ boat. Not sure it will see 55-56 as others have reported, but with denser air on a very calm morning, who knows.

Update: Today, 9/9/18, back out on the same lake, 55% fuel, Bimini open/unfurled, two adults on the boat (including me), 80 degree weather, very light breeze, I saw 48 mph, about 7600 rpm. Might have been a nice day to drop the wife off at the dock, furl the Bimini and try a solo run, but we were having too much fun to experiment.

Last edited:

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Weighing in on this thread with my results. 2017 212 Ltd S, very close match to the 212x. I saw pretty much exactly 200rpm increase and about 1.5 mph top end. I hit 50 with Bimini deployed ad 75% gas on a hot day. I would day it was worth it. Its a little peppier in the 2000-6000 acceleration. i know lots of people would spend tons of $$$ for a 2mph increase on things :)

Took me 2 hours, but it was hot and I am slow.

I have also heard switching to full synthetic will help RPMS and top speed slightly. Takes a couple oil changes to get it fully switched since you cannot suck all the oil out.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, just picked up the boat yesterday from its 10 hour service (done at 8 hours), and convinced my wife that it would be a nice day to take it out, albeit a bit cold. I then convinced her to let me take a crack at a top speed run while she waited on the dock--she's very understanding. At about 11 a.m., sunny skies, calm conditions, 55 degree ambient temperature and 55 degree water temperature, I achieved the following:

Top Speed: 51 mph
Starboard Engine: 7650 RPM
Port Engine: 7750 RPM

Details:
2018 212X
Fuel: 60%
Total Engine Hours: 8
Bimini Furled
Windshield Closed
Engines Bone Stock, Ribbons Intact
California (4 Star) Compliant Engines
Accessories touching the water: JBP Thrust Vector XV's and Lateral Thrusters

Thought about taking a picture of the Connext readout, but the sun was so bright that my phone was all glare, and I also had my hands full watching for folks fishing.

Went back, picked my wife up, and we had a great time in clear, calm conditions, including a picnic in one of the many coves on Lake Berryessa here in Northern California. Nothing like a blast across a lake on December 30.

Happy New Year!

Jeff

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I continue to be impressed by this boat's performance. Up at Lake Tahoe this week, elevation 6230 feet, 5 mph winds, 100% fuel, my wife and I hit 40 mph on calm water on July 1. Didn't happen to get an RPM reading, but I'm estimating about 6900 or so. Yesterday, we went out with six adults, 5-8 mph winds, fairly calm conditions, 100% fuel, and hit 37 mph, Port engine 6650 RPM, Starboard engine, 6550 RPM.

Frankly, I was worried the thing was going to struggle to get up on plane at this elevation with the stock impellers. I really didn't think we'd get anywhere near 40 mph.

This was taken docked at Camp Richardson for lunch. It was as close to a perfect boating day as I've had.

Camp Richardson.jpg

Jeff