• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242 lse losing traction (cavitation)

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
New to me 2017 242 purchased a month ago with 93 hours. Now just over 110. We are lucky it gets warm early down south.

This is my first jet boat so getting used to setting it up for water sports has been a little different. When I first got it on the water it ran great, pulled consistently and topped out close to 50 with a full tank and only myself in the boat. Haven't tried to hit top speed loaded down but no reason to think it wouldn't be upper 40s.

First outing to surf was great. Wake booster, gantlin bag, 4-5 people in the boat, full tank of gas. everyone in the cockpit area. Boat pulled fantastic with no hesitation and had to throttle back to achieve the correct speed. somewhere around the 11 range according to the Connext screen.

Fast forward a few weekends and we have been surfing a good bit with nice results always able to go ropeless, also playing around with additional ballast. This past weekend I couldn't get the boat up to the 11 mark. We had 7 adults on board and no one over 200lb. So probably another 1100 lbs on board. Fuel level was below half so I filled up less than half of a 900 lb sack and put it on the floor. This combination along with the booster and gantlin back seems to really bog the boat down. I felt as though I just didn't have the thrust to get up and going. I also noticed a loss of power when cruising after this, especially when turning. I don't have any damage to impellers, no mods to engine or pumps.

I looked under the boat this morning and I do seem to be missing sealant along the tunnel on the inside as well as on the outside. My guess is that the consistent use 4-5 weekends in a row, has pulled loose sealant out and is allowing the pump to pull through the gaps causing cavitation, ventilation, whatever you want to call it.

My plan is to seal it all up before going back out, but I wanted to get some opinions in case this doesn't work. Also, if my primary Watersport of choice is surfing, are the L13 pump cones a must?

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Since no one has replied I’ll update. I sealed the intake areas and took it out to test. Without ballast, I did not notice any difference. Top speed remained unchanged.
because I was by myself and had the time, I decided to fill up the transom sack and another 900 that I put between the captain seats. With this ballast setup I could not get above 9mph. Cavitation was awful.
I could really use some help as to how to fix this. Any advice is welcome.

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You may try posting this in the general discussion thread... more folks will see it. Problem could be generic to the jet pumps and maybe not specific to your particular model. Good luck

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Even though my impellers didn't look bad, they were. Replaced with 6CW impellers and all was great again.

Bayouwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Even though my impellers didn't look bad, they were. Replaced with 6CW impellers and all was great again.
Thanks. I may have to go that route. Will probably do impellers and l13 cones when the time comes.