• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 255 Platinum

Frank S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here and have found this site to be pretty useful so far. Last week I purchased a 2017 Scarab 255 Platinum edition, and I have some questions for some other Scarab owners, and jet boat users in general. This is my first jet boat, prior to this I have owned a sterndrive boat. What type of things will I need help getting used to when driving a jet boat. I understand the steering while in reverse is going to be backwards. What I'm wondering about is how is the slow speed maneuvering going to be like. Also, with the different modes like cruise, ski, and docking what should I expect.

Any insight would be helpful,

Thank you.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If slow speed steering is a hassle for you, there are some great options from Will at JetboatPilot, called thrust vectors, or the cobra fins are also great. I don't know if either has been designed/tested on the 255 as of yet for sure.
Welcome, and PICTURES! I KNOW that has to be one nice looking boat!

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here and have found this site to be pretty useful so far. Last week I purchased a 2017 Scarab 255 Platinum edition, and I have some questions for some other Scarab owners, and jet boat users in general. This is my first jet boat, prior to this I have owned a sterndrive boat. What type of things will I need help getting used to when driving a jet boat. I understand the steering while in reverse is going to be backwards. What I'm wondering about is how is the slow speed maneuvering going to be like. Also, with the different modes like cruise, ski, and docking what should I expect.

Any insight would be helpful,

Thank you.
Congrats Frank! the 255 platinum is a nice boat! the slow speed maneuvering is excellent. once you get used to the characteristics of a jet boat it will out-maneuver a sterndrive. when docking, the best advise is take it very slow and utilized only neutral and reverse as the boat tends to creep forward even in neutral. this is my third jet boat and sometimes I amaze myself in my ability to dock the boat and "slide" it sideways into a dock ( its like the boats has thrusters). When people comment on slow speed maneuvering I think they are referencing no wake speeds. there tends to be a delay in steering due to the idle speed and limited thrust. this is where thrust vectors or cobra fins help. see video link as an example.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Congrats! the 255 is awesome. You will get used to reverse and maneuverability in no time, sometimes a small bump in the throttle helps with corrections at slow speeds.

Cruise control is a nice feature and does a great job, I find it specially helpful if you have bumpy conditions which may move the throttle lever.
I don't find the docking mode necessary and never use it.
I don't have ski mode so I can't comment on that one, but I understand it allows you to setup an acceleration curve and top end which should be nice.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the community!

Rotax powered boats have excellent low speed maneuvering out of the box.

One thing I will advise, easpecially with you're boats IST feature... Stay as far away from trust vectors as possible. They can block your reverse gate, and could prohibit their performance in an emergency.

Just get used to the boat, remember to drive the bow, and enjoy.

Here are some videos to familiarize yourself.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sea-doo-scarab-glastron-chaparral-how-to-clinx-series.5116/

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome Aboard!! Lots of information here in the Scarab Forum... Also, a lot of opinions from folks who own other brands.. Just be careful with adding after market equipment without asking the Scarab SMEs.. Add pictures when you can...

Frank S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the help everyone. I actually will not take delivery of my new boat until April. Our boating season in MI is not the longest and I got he dealer to store the boat indoors for the winter, for free mind you. So no I'm dying for next boating season to use it.

Dave Ackley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I put the Thrust Vectors on mine and they work really well.

We are loving our 255 Ho Impulse......no issues, no complaints and great service from our dealer Wavetech Powersports.
IMG_5444.JPG