• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR210 and 2013 SX240

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

We are in the market for our first boat. We are looking at a 2017 AR210 and 2013 SX240. Both well maintained and come with a trailer.

2017 AR210, 180 hours, blackish water, $35,000
2013 SX240, 120 hours, fresh water only, $33,000

Which one would you buy and why?

Thank you!

Depends.
How many people do you plan on taking boating?
Do you need a tower?
Where do you plan on boating?
What do you have for a tow vehicle?
Have you thought about storage in the off-season?
What are the conditions of the seats?(check around the piping for any tears starting)
Galvanized or steel trailers?

Bigger boat, bigger engines, for less money? Yes please

I go for condition.....you can tell if owner took well care of these boats........now with that said I own a 2013 SX240 and I like the old school gauges and don't like messing with all the newer electronic dash packages. I do like the larger 1.8 engines and larger (24)ft boat.......but like all things the larger engines/larger boat it eats more fuel.

If both look like well carried for, I don't think you can go wrong hear. The only big difference between the 2 is their size. If you do a lot of water sports the arch helps I'm sure.

I'll never own another boat without a tower. They are way more handy than you would expect for more than just towing watersports stuff.

Depends.
How many people do you plan on taking boating?
Do you need a tower?
Where do you plan on boating?
What do you have for a tow vehicle?
Have you thought about storage in the off-season?
What are the conditions of the seats?(check around the piping for any tears starting)
Galvanized or steel trailers?
How many people do you plan on taking boating? 8-9 people
Do you need a tower? It would be nice to have one but not a must
Where do you plan on boating? in blackish water (Bush River, MD)
What do you have for a tow vehicle? We have a mid size SUV
Have you thought about storage in the off-season? I think 21' might fit our garage. Otherwise, it will be stored under carport with cover.
What are the conditions of the seats?(check around the piping for any tears starting) Both looks good
Galvanized or steel trailers? I believe both are galvanized.

Bigger boat, bigger engines, for less money? Yes please
But it's older? The SX240 is 3 hours away from us so we only saw AR210 in person. Posted this to see if I should make a trip to see the SX240 in person.

I go for condition.....you can tell if owner took well care of these boats........now with that said I own a 2013 SX240 and I like the old school gauges and don't like messing with all the newer electronic dash packages. I do like the larger 1.8 engines and larger (24)ft boat.......but like all things the larger engines/larger boat it eats more fuel.

If both look like well carried for, I don't think you can go wrong hear. The only big difference between the 2 is their size. If you do a lot of water sports the arch helps I'm sure.

The SX240 is 3 hours away from us so we haven't seen it in person. I was told it was kept inside even during summer and professionally maintained at the marina.

As for the AR210, we went to see it today and it had two noticeable dings (one on the side and one on the hull). This boat was kept on a lift year round. Some maintenance (winterization and oil change) were done by the owner. Seats looked fine except for one stain.

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I’d get the SX-240 if I we’re in your shoes. More size, less electronics to go bad, less cost. Larger motors. I have a SX230 similar use case to you. Let’s see some pictures!

I'll never own another boat without a tower. They are way more handy than you would expect for more than just towing watersports stuff.
We plan to do water sports but I am not sure how often. We have 2 daughters (11 and 4).

This is 2013 SX240

Attachments

• IMG_2053.PNG
    IMG_2053.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2052.PNG
    IMG_2052.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    971.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    863.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    825.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    826.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    890.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    932.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    871.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    851.3 KB · Views: 25
This is the 2017 AR210

Attachments

• IMG_2065.PNG
    IMG_2065.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2066.PNG
    IMG_2066.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2067.PNG
    IMG_2067.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2068.PNG
    IMG_2068.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2069.PNG
    IMG_2069.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2070.PNG
    IMG_2070.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2071.PNG
    IMG_2071.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
We plan to do water sports but I am not sure how often. We have 2 daughters (11 and 4).
Get a big mable and be done with it. Your girls will love it! Go for size go for speed and go for less money.

How many people do you plan on taking boating? 8-9 people
This right here answers the question. Buy the 24’ boat. 8-9 is doable in a 21’ but much more comfortable in the larger vessel. I’d rather have too much room than be crammed in something that just gets me by.

Plus you don’t have to deal with the gelcoat damage that you will need to address with the 21’ OR the use in salt by the previous owner with the 21’ (who may not have been diligent flushing)…

I agree with the others and would get the SX240 over the AR210. The SX240 looks to be in nice shape from the posted photos. Bigger boat, head compartment and dual captains chairs would be much more desireable to me than a wake tower.

Jim

This is 2013 SX240

I agree with what others have said, get the larger boat (more room & power) unless the tower is a must have. Make sure you take it out for a sea trail and all is well.

You mentioned brackish water, it does appear the 24ft has a painted trailer, not galvanized.

As an aside, if you go with the 24ft, replace the swim platform decking before it further adds and dries out with sea deck. The hydro turf starts to dry out, and comes off in many small pieces making it a PIA to remove. If you address it before it dries out, you stand a much better chance of it coming off in large pieces.

The 240 looks well cared for..............the hull damage on the 210 is PIA but looks in good shape otherwise. You might ask the guys out hear about the duel batt setup on the 240 I thought with the stators/generators these boat should have an Isolator circuit between the 2 batts, or it could be hard on the charging systems.......... Just a thought

Vitamin makes a good point the old hydro turf is a pain........mine flakes dust still looks good but the dust looks dirty and you drag the dirt into the boat when its wet.........just check in with Jetboat pilot today for some seadek replacement.

Good luck towing a 24 foot with a mid sized suv, unless it's a super higher end one

Good luck towing a 24 foot with a mid sized suv, unless it's a super higher end one

This is a very valid point!

For the new SX250 Yamaha has a dry weight posted of 5,134 LBS . Have to guess that loaded with fuel and other stuff this is about 5,750 lbs. I would think the SX240 may be a similar weight? My guess is that the AR210 on the trailer with fuel and other stuff is around 5,000 lbs.

Many mid size SUV tow vehicles max out at 5,000 lbs. To the OP, what is the tow capacity of the vehicle you currently have and if the capacity is low, are you planning on getting another vehicle?

Jim

Back