• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR210 vs. 2013 SX240

luxehomes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi,

We are in the market for our first boat. We are looking at a 2017 AR210 and 2013 SX240. Both well maintained and come with a trailer.

2017 AR210, 180 hours, blackish water, $35,000
2013 SX240, 120 hours, fresh water only, $33,000

Which one would you buy and why?

Thank you!

Hi,

We are in the market for our first boat. We are looking at a 2017 AR210 and 2013 SX240. Both well maintained and come with a trailer.

2017 AR210, 180 hours, blackish water, $35,000
2013 SX240, 120 hours, fresh water only, $33,000

Which one would you buy and why?

Thank you!
SX240. Bigger boat with bigger motors. But also the 210 has a tower and the other doesn't. Do you need a tower for towing boarders? Some people don't like the TR-1 engines in the AR210, say its slightly underpowered. You just have to understand the limits of the boat and you'll be happy. @HangOutdoors has a AR210, so he might be able to tell you more about the TR-1.

I wouldn't let the brackish vs. fresh water only effect your decision too much. As long as they were flushed regularly, it shouldn't matter.

I don't have a problem with the Tr-1's in my boat. Of course it will not go as fast as the SX240. I top out at 44mph and fully loaded with 9 or 10 people with gear 36-38 mph. Both boats can tow a tubes or watersports the same. The AR of course will have the tower which is nice. The 240 has a bit more room. Is a bit cheaper and has less hours. It is also older.

Really need to know how you plan on using the boat and where (what type of water) and how many people usually on board, which will help in others giving you an opinion.

Really need to know how you plan on using the boat and where (what type of water) and how many people usually on board, which will help in others giving you an opinion.

This. Do you need a tower? I'm one of the few folks on here with the SX240 (no tower). It's perfect for us, we don't do water sports and didn't need the extra expense.

Coming from someone who went from a 17' boat to a 24' boat, the space really makes a difference. It's plenty of room for 2 couples and their kids/dogs/coolers/whatever.

Your tow vehicle and storage situation may also influence your decision. good luck

SX240. Bigger boat with bigger motors. But also the 210 has a tower and the other doesn't. Do you need a tower for towing boarders? Some people don't like the TR-1 engines in the AR210, say its slightly underpowered. You just have to understand the limits of the boat and you'll be happy. @HangOutdoors has a AR210, so he might be able to tell you more about the TR-1.

I wouldn't let the brackish vs. fresh water only effect your decision too much. As long as they were flushed regularly, it shouldn't matter.
I wish we can see both boats in person but the SX240 is 3 hours away from us. We did try the AR210 today. We were ok with the engines and power. A tower is definitely a plus but not a must.

I don't have a problem with the Tr-1's in my boat. Of course it will not go as fast as the SX240. I top out at 44mph and fully loaded with 9 or 10 people with gear 36-38 mph. Both boats can tow a tubes or watersports the same. The AR of course will have the tower which is nice. The 240 has a bit more room. Is a bit cheaper and has less hours. It is also older.

We tried the AR210 today and it was fast enough for us. We have two small kids (11 and 4) so we plan to do wakeboarding/tubing and just cruising. We would probably have just our family (4) or another family so 8-9 people. The boat will be used in blackish water (Bush River, MD).

There were two noticeable dings. One on the side and one on the hull. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
This. Do you need a tower? I'm one of the few folks on here with the SX240 (no tower). It's perfect for us, we don't do water sports and didn't need the extra expense.

Coming from someone who went from a 17' boat to a 24' boat, the space really makes a difference. It's plenty of room for 2 couples and their kids/dogs/coolers/whatever.

Your tow vehicle and storage situation may also influence your decision. good luck

We plan to do water sports. We saw a 19' and it was too small for us. We were ok with the size of AR210 but we haven't seen a 24' in person. We wish we can see both but the SX240 is 3 hours away.

@luxehomes Yeah those dings need to be looked at and resolved. Should be able to knock down that price a couple few thousand or more at least I would try. The second one looks like it is through the gel and fiberglass. Can't tell where on the boat that is? Is it above the rub rail? Unless you feel comfortable, I would have a shop repair both. Now way to tell from pics if there is any other structural damage.

TBH, I wouldn't, nor most people this forum for the most part use their boat with that kind of damage for any length of time. No telling how long they have been like that. Also goes to show how the guy took care of the boat in general.

If he is selling a boat with damage like that... RUN

Back