• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 ar240 Bimini top bar keep popping out

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the bars on my Bimimi top keep popping out of the mounts on the tower. I slide them in and turn the screw as far as can but they later will pop out at speed most of the time it's the same bar but I did have a different one do it this weekend. Is there an actual locked position I just turn it is there a point were it will securely lock that I'm missing. Also my canvas isn't as tight as I think it should be I'm used to it being extremely tight when deployed there is a little looseness in mine. Also in all fairness am I just being to hard on the boat I don't typically slow down for much I will take wakes at speed but at angles to prevent heavy banging.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the bars on my Bimimi top keep popping out of the mounts on the tower. I slide them in and turn the screw as far as can but they later will pop out at speed most of the time it's the same bar but I did have a different one do it this weekend. Is there an actual locked position I just turn it is there a point were it will securely lock that I'm missing. Also my canvas isn't as tight as I think it should be I'm used to it being extremely tight when deployed there is a little looseness in mine. Also in all fairness am I just being to hard on the boat I don't typically slow down for much I will take wakes at speed but at angles to prevent heavy banging.
Yes those bars are telescoping and you can shorten them in increments to get a tighter fit. The locking mechanism is a small rod with a cutout - almost like a cam clamp idea. You will see when you turn it. You only need to turn it about 1/4 turn to lock. Once it locks it does not pop.
Those bimini tops are little tricky at first, but I am starting to like mine. You can definitely make them tight, shorten the bars and then just pull back the rear part of the frame to stretch the canvas and lock the bars ends.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski thsnks I will shorten the bars as the are fully extended right now. I currently turn the clamps atleast a quarter turn probably closer to a half turn. Right now they are usally set in the notch when lock should they be turned to where the bar is fully solid for them to be locked? I have not been able to get them to turn the far with the bar in.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski thsnks I will shorten the bars as the are fully extended right now. I currently turn the clamps atleast a quarter turn probably closer to a half turn. Right now they are usally set in the notch when lock should they be turned to where the bar is fully solid for them to be locked? I have not been able to get them to turn the far with the bar in.
Ah - I think the trick is to pull on the bar down hard so that the "ball" (at the end of the bar) sets tight into the cavity - then you should be able to turn the little cam-like rod to lock it (while, holding the bar down).
I think.

--

Patrick L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once the cam is in the correct location to lock it is also spring loaded. The entire rod moves in/out as well as turns, not much but enough for it to lock in place.. I forget if you have to push the rod in or pull the rod out to turn the cam. When I was on the boat orientation walk thru I noticed that the side the dealer did the rod looked different than the one I did. The dealer said yes those are spring loaded. I went back over to the side I did and turned it slightly and the rod locked in place.

Yes you need to be pulling down on the back support while you lock the cam/rod in place to take tension off the ball/socket. Like anything else once you get it right the first time you will say to yourself that was easy.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You probably don't like to stand on your seat but I recommend you stand on the seat to get above the clamp and see how it works and visible see it lock. It has a cut out side that allows the shaft to enter and a non cut out side that locks it. Very easy to see from above.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may have to get a video and show you guys what I'm doing as so far I'm pretty much doing exactly what you guys are saying and the still come out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the sequence, my video is not uploading, will post later. Good topic.
IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski that is perfect. So I noticed the same thing it feel like they should turn until its nothing but solid bar but mine are not turning that far with the bar in even with me pulling down on the bar I will have to grab a pair of pliers or something and see if I can get it to make that last quarter turn. The one bar that has been the problem child the lock on it I have only been able to get it to turn to about your third pic.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski that is perfect. So I noticed the same thing it feel like they should turn until its nothing but solid bar but mine are not turning that far with the bar in even with me pulling down on the bar I will have to grab a pair of pliers or something and see if I can get it to make that last quarter turn. The one bar that has been the problem child the lock on it I have only been able to get it to turn to about your third pic.
That should be it than!
Maybe give it a drop of some lub, too, to help the persuasion.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And here is the clip:

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys! Went down this morning mine were to tight to do a full turn by hand so I had only been turning them as far as I could by hand so I grabed a pair of pliers and locked them in also lower the bar one notch and now the bimini top is tight thanks!