• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 AR240 Depth Finder Failure

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone!!

I've searched on this topic, but everything I've found on it talks about failure with error messages, this is not that. I just get a flashing "0" on the depth readout like it's searching for the depth. This has been going on the last three times I took the boat out. Can I safely assume this is a transducer failure? I'd hate to buy a new one as expensive as they are and find out it's likely something else.

Also, I'm thinking of just adding a chart plotter in front of the mechanical tachs, as I never look at those anyway; I always use the digital tachs on the display. Any thoughts or advice on that? I really miss having a breadcrumb trail of where I've found a safe passage on the river. I would easily spend extra if I could get a unit that could find the depth under more adverse conditions, like dirty shallow water--if such a thing exists. Fish finding capabilities would be nice, but not really a big deal. Primarily I need to know I'm not going to hit the bottom if I come off of a plane and how much room I've got while idling. Secondarily I'd like a breadcrumb trail of where I've been. Detailed maps would be nice, but not a big deal. Fish finder capability would be my last concern.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same issue, I get flashing zeros and occasionally I get a reading for a minute or two, than back to flashing zeros. I did notice something that made it work for like 5 minutes though...

I was connecting a phone to the stereo and the stereo crashed, I got a message saying system rebooting or something like that. Once the system came back up, the depth gauge worked for a short time. I'm not sure if there is a button combo that could reboot the system, maybe you'll have better luck with a reboot?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've searched on this topic, but everything I've found on it talks about failure with error messages, this is not that. I just get a flashing "0" on the depth
It might be a transducer failure or it could be something else, hard to say without detailed more info. Maybe inquire with your dealer to see if they've heard about this issue?
...found a safe passage on the river. Primarily I need to know I'm not going to hit the bottom if I come off of a plane and how much room I've got while idling.
If you're in such skinny water that you need to be concerned about hitting the bottom coming off plane, then you're in way too shallow water. Don't forget that although jetboats don't have a lower unit hanging below the keel, they do have intakes that act like vacuum cleaners and will suck up all kinds of debris including sand, gravel/rocks, bottle caps, wood debris, etc., and will damage the impellers and pump liners. All jetboats should be in at least 3 feet of water to operate safely and without damage.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same issue, I get flashing zeros and occasionally I get a reading for a minute or two, than back to flashing zeros. I did notice something that made it work for like 5 minutes though...

I was connecting a phone to the stereo and the stereo crashed, I got a message saying system rebooting or something like that. Once the system came back up, the depth gauge worked for a short time. I'm not sure if there is a button combo that could reboot the system, maybe you'll have better luck with a reboot?
Thanks for the info! I've turned off the batteries of course, that doesn't seem to help. I can't find any other way to reboot the system?

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're in such skinny water that you need to be concerned about hitting the bottom coming off plane, then you're in way too shallow water. Don't forget that although jetboats don't have a lower unit hanging below the keel, they do have intakes that act like vacuum cleaners and will suck up all kinds of debris including sand, gravel/rocks, bottle caps, wood debris, etc., and will damage the impellers and pump liners. All jetboats should be in at least 3 feet of water to operate safely and without damage.
I'm not going to disagree with you, but crossing sandbars is part and parcel of a jetboat's life here. I definitely don't push the Yamaha to the point like I would a Duckworth or similar jetboat, but the Yamaha can safely navigate sandbars much shallower than three feet. With my old Duckworth I used to run up and over exposed sandbars, LOL. You had to carry enough speed to slide back into the water. Obviously that would have severe consequences with a Yammy. I keep a bit of water between the sand and the keel for sure. On a plane you don't suck up much sand, but you do get some which will eventually wear the pump. Pump maintenance is simply part of the cost of doing business.

Rudy09

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the same issue, diag was a transducer. Dealer ordered it under warranty ( its over $800.00 for the part), there is none within the U.S. We called Yamaha, they confirmed this and agreed they were pulling 300 of these for customers including us at the conclusion they said give them three weeks and check back with dealer. Three weeks come and go, we called dealer no part, called Yamaha ( spoke to same rep's) and we were told somehow we miss understood them, and they could not recall the conversation and actually got rude with us when we detailed back to them what we were told. this time they added there is a issue with a malfunction in the transducer chip. As of today we have no idea as they suggested we try back at a later date or consider aftermarket options.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue, diag was a transducer. Dealer ordered it under warranty ( its over $800.00 for the part), there is none within the U.S. We called Yamaha, they confirmed this and agreed they were pulling 300 of these for customers including us at the conclusion they said give them three weeks and check back with dealer. Three weeks come and go, we called dealer no part, called Yamaha ( spoke to same rep's) and we were told somehow we miss understood them, and they could not recall the conversation and actually got rude with us when we detailed back to them what we were told. this time they added there is a issue with a malfunction in the transducer chip. As of today we have no idea as they suggested we try back at a later date or consider aftermarket options.
Thanks Rudy! yeah, I found the same info from another user on another thread. His dealer also diagnosed it as a transducer issue. I may replace it at some point, but right now I think I'm going to go with a chart plotter depth sounder combo for not much more money.