• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee good tow vehicle?

Cohenmd86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have the same setup but have a 15 summit with hemi..... got it used with 3k mikes on it for 41k sticker was 58k there are deal out there....pulls like nothing however the v6 will pull fine for little trips but more than 10-15 miles every now and then but I'd opt for the v8.... personally I would not pull with a v6 it's going to be working extra hard burning more fuel, I tow snow mobiles everything and the hemi does not make me question anything, like, I'll pull 10,000lbs and not think twice, just have good brakes and tires and you'll be fine

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 2017 212X, I also need a tow vehicle. Right now the one I like the most is a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, what do you guys think about this vehicle towing the 212x?
We have a 2016 GC Eco Diesel. VERY happy with its performance towing, and mileage, when not towing. Also this is towing the AR240 which is even a bit more that the 212x. Only downside the GC we've found is lack of interior storage cubicles and such. We were spoiled with her old 2010 Ram 1500 for interior space.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We have a 2016 GC Eco Diesel. VERY happy with its performance towing, and mileage, when not towing. Also this is towing the AR240 which is even a bit more that the 212x. Only downside the GC we've found is lack of interior storage cubicles and such. We were spoiled with her old 2010 Ram 1500 for interior space.
I was thinking about going to a GC Trailhawk 3.6 but said I like my EcoDiesel :)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely trying to stay away from the Hemi, I have a Tesla Model S now, so trying to get the best MPG possible on a vehicle capable of towing the boat
I tow my AR192 regularly about 100 miles with my 2011 Grand Cherokee. Mine is back from the 5-speed days and I would not be happy towing anything heavier with it. They upped the tow rating from 5000 to 6500 though with the addition of the 8-speed (or is it 9? I can't remember, but anyhoo). I see about 15-16 mpg while towing it. I bet the V8 would be the same or better mpg while towing. The rule of thumb I have heard is that you should try not to exceed 75% of your vehicles tow rating for optimal safety in acceleration, braking, and vehicle stability. My personal opinion is that V6's really lack the torque to tow anything more than about 2500 lbs.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow my AR192 regularly about 100 miles with my 2011 Grand Cherokee. Mine is back from the 5-speed days and I would not be happy towing anything heavier with it. They upped the tow rating from 5000 to 6500 though with the addition of the 8-speed (or is it 9? I can't remember, but anyhoo). I see about 15-16 mpg while towing it. I bet the V8 would be the same or better mpg while towing. The rule of thumb I have heard is that you should try not to exceed 75% of your vehicles tow rating for optimal safety in acceleration, braking, and vehicle stability. My personal opinion is that V6's really lack the torque to tow anything more than about 2500 lbs.
Unless you take v6 Diesels into account. Same tow rating as the v8's @ 7400 lbs, and twice the gas mileage. The trannys are 8 speeds btw.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unless you take v6 Diesels into account. Same tow rating as the v8's @ 7400 lbs, and twice the gas mileage. The trannys are 8 speeds btw.
Very good point. What I meant was NA gasoline V6's. A V6 diesel is perhaps the perfect power plant for towing small to medium sized boats as far as power and efficiency goes. I am surprised there aren't more options out there. The only one I am aware of is from Chrysler (Jeep/Dodge)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One solid point on the GC is the load leveling suspension and air ride. I have the load leveling on mine and I have no sag to speak of when trailering. The vehicle feels extremely well composed for having 3000+ lbs behind it an breaking is very good.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately the EcoDiesel option on the GCs isn't avialable right now. Hopefully by the time my lease is up and I'm ready for the GC it's back on the market.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very good point. What I meant was NA gasoline V6's. A V6 diesel is perhaps the perfect power plant for towing small to medium sized boats as far as power and efficiency goes. I am surprised there aren't more options out there. The only one I am aware of is from Chrysler (Jeep/Dodge)
Actually the F-150's are getting a V-6 diesel for the 2018 models. Not an SUV, but it is a light duty platform like many SUVs, and I can see it crossing-over quickly. Maybe Chevy is next?

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I own a 2008 Jeep GC Diesel (Mercedes CRD3.0) and I couldn't be happier with this thing. Pulls the boat loaded with a full tank of gas with 0 issues, the surge brakes on the shorelander trailer actually help quite nicely. Now it's not like pulling it with my buddies RAM 2500 Cummins which I could barely even tell the boat was present but that's another topic altogether lol.

Cohenmd86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have the same setup but have a 15 summit with hemi..... got it used with 3k mikes on it for 41k sticker was 58k there are deal out there....pulls like nothing however the v6 will pull fine for little trips but more than 10-15 miles every now and then but I'd opt for the v8.... personally I would not pull with a v6 it's going to be working extra hard burning more fuel, I tow snow mobiles everything and the hemi does not make me question anything, like, I'll pull 10,000lbs and not think twice, just have good brakes and tires and you'll be fine
IMG_7617.JPG

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just purchased a 17' grand Cherokee overland with the hemi preparing for my 600 mile journey to North Carolina for the eclipse. Had the explorer ecoboost v6 that was rated for 5000 pounds. It was getting 10mpg so I'm hoping the Cherokee can get me better mileage!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My wife has a Durango with the HEMI and 8 speed. It tows better than my 2500 with HEMI. The 8 speed seems to always be in the right gear, it rarely goes over 3500 rpms. Pulling hills or passing slow traffic is no problem. It tows better than any vehicle I have owned other than a Cummins. I think the V6 would be fine, not sure if there are optional transmission, but the 8 speed is the way to go.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I tow 252se which fully loaded is right at 6200 with a 2021 Jeep GC V6. No issue, but I never go faster than 60MPH and I always drive conservative. That said, I feel like 4x4 is a must on a boat ramp. I would love a truck with 9000lb+ capacity, but it’s just not in the cards. I would never recommend going over your limit, but being right at your limit fully loaded is fine. It’s silly when people say “ just because you can doesn’t mean you should” and cite sudden braking, acceleration needs, engine temperature, strain, etc. because this is exactly the test that goes into determining the maximum “safe” towing capacity. All of these test are performed to ensure it meets specific standards that are the same across all major manufacturers. Meaning if they told you you can tow 6200 safely, you can absolutely do that and do it safely. It’s already been proven. To say in another way, it feels great and more secure having thousands of pounds of excess capacity, but that doesn’t mean towing at capacity is unsafe either.