• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Yamaha 242 E-Series Engine Problem

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,

Today I pulled over a shallow area and felt rocks get sucked up through in-take. Shut down engines and drifted to deeper water. When I restarted engines I received check engine light/beeper and noticed the starboard engine guage showed in reverse, but all levers in neutral. The starboard engine runs but impeller does not engage when I move throatal either forward or reverse. It simply remains in idle. Additional the cover over jet outlet is in closed/reverse position and won’t open. Port engine operates fine. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may have a rock stuck in the reverse gate. I have had one get jammed in-between the plastic bucket and the side of the jet nozzle.

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Rob9550 you just saved my day!!! That was it. There was a very tiny sliver of a rock lodged between the bucket and the side of the jet as you said. All is good now. Thank you so much.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice save...that's usually the culprit when the buckets won't move.

Another change I noticed last year is that when on the trailer, with all power off, the buckets raise up to the forward position. After calling my dealer, they assured me this is normal and as soon as the servos get power, the buckets should drop. It was one of those unexpected changes I noticed when moving from my old 232.