• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2017 Yamaha Speaker replacement question

jmilford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi folks,
I purchased some Wet Sounds Recon 6's (taken out of a Mamba on the showroom floor) to replace the Polk Audio speakers that came on my 2017 Yamaha 212 Limited a few years ago, but never had time to install them. I finally got around to replacing them last year and only the front speakers work well. I only purchased 6 speakers, because that's all he had and simply left the Polk speakers on the swim deck. Clearly, I should have done more research, etc...but we're past that now. I thought it was going to be a "plug and play" situation and am fairly handy. No doubt the connections are good, but I'm guessing I may need to rewire, etc.

Ultimately, I could barely hear the Polk Speakers when we were underway and it was driving me nuts. I know an amp and new system would be the optimal way to go, but simply wasn't in the budget. So, here I am.

Any thoughts as to make this set up work? Or, should I put the old Polk's back in until I get 2 more Wet Sounds and rewire it?

Thanks for your input.

Is there an amp in your boat? I’m guessing there should be but I’m not sure. If you have have one it’s probably under the seat where the batteries are, That’s where it is in my 212X, same year as your boat.

On my boat, the speakers are wired in series which effectively cuts the power in half. I would definitely get my multimeter and confirm this. On my boat, I completely rewired everything and moved the amps under the helm using Knu Konceptz wire. The stuff Yamaha uses is not great.

Good wire is not cheap but you can probably use some of the existing wire and run some new stuff to convert from series to parallel. That should help I believe.

The other thing you can do is to check the gains on your amp assuming there is one. The settings on my mine were all messed up which I recall was pretty common at the time. Lots of threads on how to do that. Let me know if you can’t find them.

I’d also check to make sure your amp
Is working properly, My amps are Polks and they’re decent when working properly but theyre not true marine amps and prone to failure. I have 3 of them and all 3 have been repaired. I wouldn’t spend much money doing this though, it’s not worth it.

Not sure what boat you have but these boats are loud combined with wind noise. You need a multi amp system with subwoofers. Great info on the site of systems with details of exactly how to set them up. I have always used regular car audio amps some have been second hand if your on a budget plenty of people sell car audio equipment cheap.

Back