• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018-2019 242 adjustable bimini

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone found the adjustable bimini knob (screw) to work it’s way loose?

I’m not sure yet what happened to my bimini, while towing today, but I looked in the mirror as I was easing under an overpass and noticed that the front edge of the bimini was aimed much higher in the air than it should have been.

I’m wondering if that knob didn’t work loose then allow the top to free float and ended up with front end lifted high.

End result is me hitting a 12’ high overpass and breaking the tower mounts that hold the bimini frame in place.

I haven’t taken the cover off to verify whether I have any gel scratches from the main tower flexing, but the tower appears to be fine with the obvious exceptions and a few scratches.

185C0D88-EE14-4272-9CDA-430A211CCC1E.jpeg8CDDBC31-C4A9-49C1-9331-ABC7CF46BBCF.jpeg9E8DD175-F96D-48C5-8781-FE99448C8E30.jpeg

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Too soon to ask if you're selling the tower?

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What a shame! I did a 3 hr tow a month or so ago and didn't have any movement in the screw as I was sure to check everything after our first big excursion.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Too soon to ask if you're selling the tower?
A bit, lol. I have talked to the service mgr at the dealership. He’s going to start a Yamaha claim and we’ll see where that goes. I’m actually still on vacation, so have another week of boating w no shade ahead of me. I’ll drop off boat on my way home and see where that gets me.

He’s estimating that if Yamaha does anything it will require a whole new tower.

I guess if they decline, then we’ll be on to Plan B and C. Which at this point would be insurance on replacing the whole or partial tower, or just repair what needs repaired and live with it.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What a shame! I did a 3 hr tow a month or so ago and didn't have any movement in the screw as I was sure to check everything after our first big excursion.
Well, shame on me for not checking, I guess. In the last 3 weeks, I’ve towed about 24 hours. (In about 5 hour blocks) and boating in between. Have never noticed it bouncing an inordinate amount while on the water.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also don’t remember being this close to any trees. I was on 2 lane highways all day. Really have no idea where I picked up all these branches. Wonder if those could have jarred it loose. I’d think I would have noticed anything major though. Who knows...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to see that the adjustable knob seemed to be a great idea I’m 6’3 and have smacked my head on the front part of the tower a few times . I milled some aluminum spacers but didn’t have long enough bolts and thought that thing could flip down and smack someone. A safety cable would have been nice hopefully yamaha takes care of this.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone found the adjustable bimini knob (screw) to work it’s way loose?
SO sorry! That sucks big time.

I have not had any experience with those, and so far the X/E towers have been mostly trouble free as far as we know, but it is well known that the bolts they use in the locking mechanism of 2015+ AR240 towers are notorious for working themselves out. Those are hand wheel bolts, a little too short, a badly designed locking mechanism (AR240 - not the X/E/LS which all have a cross pin).

If your bolts worked themselves loose like the AR240 locking bolts do, it could happen during towing/trailering or cruising in rough water, doesn't matter.

Those should not be items you need to constantly worry about and keep checking, if this is in fact how your tower got wacked.

PM if curious how I really feel about Yamaha tower hand wheel bolts.

EDIT: I would check for any play on the main tower base on both sides, given the impact, and possibly tighten the three 3/4 inch bolts under the hull cap that hold your tower in place (need a very long socket and an extender).

--

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
PM if curious how I really feel about Yamaha tower hand wheel bolts.

EDIT: I would check for any play on the main tower base on both sides, and possibly tighten the 3/4 inch bolts under the hull cap (need a very long socket and an extender).
Oh, I’m aware. Lol. ;)

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get to those.

Once we get this sorted out, I’ll be putting some loctite on this. Since I figured out which setting I liked, I haven’t changed it, and don’t foresee the need at this time.

Even down, it won’t go in my storage. So, my alternate winter storage at my parents farm doesn’t have a height restriction worth mentioning.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I’ll see if I can get to those.
I would only worry about it if you have any play/movement on the bases, you will know if you just yank on those.

--

bhos13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. There's one somewhere on the side of I80 south of Chicago if you need a spare... or they're $90 if you have to order one. There should be a retaining clip that holds the knob/bolt in even when unsecured but my dealer didn't install mine correctly. I check it every time now before/after towing; new one has not become noticeably loose. I might start strapping it for towing just in case. Sorry that happened to you.

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine has loosened during rough water before, but that could be because it wasn't tightened enough. Yours shouldn't have loosened without the added drag of the canvas on the frame, but I'm not surprised that it happened. I actually had to have mine re-threaded because I couldn't lock the top in the lower forward position.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
First stop at about 15 miles to check for movement. Rode great the whole 4 1/2 hours!

D6ED43B7-56FC-43D2-969C-CC33CE85B101.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like a dangerous trio.

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My top has loosened twice, both times while on the water. The first time, the bolt actually fell in the floor. The second time, I noticed the tower making some noise and caught it just before it fell out. I would think this is somewhat of a safety issue. I think I’ll add blue Lo time to mine after reading this.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Happy to report that my dealer really went to bat for me, and Mother Yamaha agreed to cover this. I was told it was a long ordeal involving a number of back and forth emails with specific picture requests, video requests, etc. It sounds like they have plenty of information to make any adjustments that could be made to future towers, as complete as they were about analyzing this case.

I was without a bimini from 4th of July until the last week of September. We were essentially done for the season anyway, by the time the tower came in.

I had the dealer winterize, replace the tower, and adjust a squeak when you step on the fuel tank hatch.

We got it home, washed/waxed, cleaned the interior real good and have it stowed for the winter, yesterday. (Ceiling height is 10’2, door height is 9’10. You can see the rope holding the bimini at a more level angle. The stock bracket has the rear of the bimini sticking up too high. )

C4F001D2-29A3-4991-8337-9A57C767A4F6.jpeg

Can’t wait to start off next year with what feel like a new boat, again!!

Again, a big shout out to St Charles Boat & Motor in St Louis for being persistent and treating customers like family. We spent a solid 20 minutes shooting the breeze sitting in their 275, when I went down to pick my boat up. All those marketing pics don’t do that boat justice. It is really slick and huge inside.