• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Chaparral 223 vrx

opie311

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hello, I am new to the board and new to jet boating. I am looking at a 2018 Chaparral 223 vortex. It is in fairly good shape but has what I consider as having high hours on the Rotax twins, 850 hrs. I'm wondering if anyone has experence with what will need to be done to these engines to make sure they last longer. Or should I just keep looking for another boat? lol

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Trucon01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I was looking at the 223 vrx about 2 years ago. The biggest issue I had is that the superchargers had to be rebuilt every 200 hours or 2 years, at about 500.00 per supercharger (if you do it yourself, maybe double if you have a dealer do it). I believe pre-2018, you had to do it every 100 hours until they changed some parts...

Now to the engine hours... 850 hours for a 4 year old boat sounds extremely high. Unless you're getting this boat really cheap, I would look elsewhere, but that's my personal opinion.

Also, do you have a dealer nearby who services them? I believe as of 2021, they stopped making jet boats so I'm not sure how the support will be where you live.

After researching Yamaha and their engines and after owning a 2019 fx cruiser svho, I'm now a diehard Yamaha fan and in line for a 255xd...

Your money, your call at the end of the day! Good luck

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hello, I am new to the board and new to jet boating. I am looking at a 2018 Chaparral 223 vortex. It is in fairly good shape but has what I consider as having high hours on the Rotax twins, 850 hrs. I'm wondering if anyone has experence with what will need to be done to these engines to make sure they last longer. Or should I just keep looking for another boat? lol
:Welcome:
850 hours in four years is heavy use, even for warm climate states. But if it's been well maintained, might be ok - do a water test to ensure the engines are good. And search for the date when BRP updated to maintenance-free superchargers. If you're lucky you might have them already. If not, you can get your superchargers replaced with the updated versions I believe.

As mentioned, ensure you can get service from a local BRP dealer...BRP supplied the engines for Vortex and Scarab jetboats.

Donallen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 223 VR with less than 60 hours for sale if your still looking

Donallen

Reaction score
Boat Make