• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Scarab 195 G

Chatch92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hey everyone, I just purchased a used Scarab 195 and I’ve taken it out twice once with 3 adults and 2 kids and once with 6 adults. Both times it took very long to get out on plane (5+ minutes) and I can’t go full throttle, if I do the rpm’s shoot up really high and it sounds like the impeller is just spinning really fast and not pushing any water. This is my first jet boat I’ve had a Jetski and other inboard/outboard boats before. I’m mechanically inclined and able to work on it myself without having to take to a dealer, just looking for some direction on where to start.

It doesn’t seem that my reverse bucket is in the way, I started it on the trailer and pushed the throttle forward and my neighbor says the bucket is clearing the jet.

As far as I can tell it doesn’t seem that there is a gap between the wear ring and the impeller. Looks to be a fairly snug fit.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It's highly likely based on your description that it's a problem at the pump in one way or another. Without any pictures of the pump... I highly recommend removing the pump and inspecting things. If you still can't identify the problem, post pics of what you're seeing.

Things that come to mind... gap is indeed bigger than it should be (even though you say it isn't), impeller is damaged, drive shaft splines are damaged, intake grate is damaged/modified in some way and prevents water from getting in properly, etc.

But to help you, we'll need pics. Under NO circumstances should you try and remove the intake grate. It is NOT removable without going UNDER the engine to reseal the nuts. So don't do that.

This video shows the pump removal process quite well. It's actually very simple to do.

FYI, the forum as a Scarab section as well. For future posts, consider using it to get a more Scarab centric audience. But many folks with other boats know Scarabs quite well and can help too.

Chatch92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Luc thanks! I will remove the pump tomorrow and get some more pictures and post them here.

Chatch92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Luc I got it off and here are some photos.
The impeller this written on it (Lisi, 2012 GTR 215) I’m assuming this is is a used impeller from a 2012 GTR. And I can definitely see some space between the impeller and wear ring.

Drive shaft splines look good.

Let me know what you think, if I need to purchase and impeller and wear ring, do you have a recommendation of where to order one and how to find out what the part numbers are for this boat.

Attachments

Chatch92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Luc I just realized after looking through some more threads on here that there are pieces on my bucket missing. I’ll attach a picture of mine and the picture I found on here.

I believe this is causing the bucket to fall in front of the jet.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Sorry for the slow reply. I've had a crazy busy work day with new employees starting (=me training them all day) plus an unexected long meeting. Then my buddy actually just bought a 195 and REALLY wanted to go out tonight to try it out and learn the ropes. He's a brand new boater.... so I just got home. lol

So the good news is that I don't see anything particularly bad here. Yay? Bad news is this means we haven't found the cause. You can measure that gap but it doesn't look horrible, not enough to cause the symptoms you're describing.

The latching mechanism you're indicating is missing isn't actually missing. On newer boats, they decided it was no longer necessary. So they don't provide it anymore. Weirdly, the left the latching plate, so just the hook/spring isn't included. Another buddy of mine has a newer 165 and discovered the same thing. Older boats had this like mine. So I don't think it's this either. If your throttle lever is in the full forward position, that cable that pulls the bucket is definitely not allowing the bucket to come down. You'd know. It was cause the boat to submarine.

So other things to check, the intake plate under the boat. Take some good pics of that area to ensure the grate looks good. If that checks out, then yeah, maybe measure the gap between the imeller and the wear ring to see how big it is. Usually we use gauges for that if you have one or access to one.

If the gap is bigger than it should be, then regardless if it's the cause or not, we'll need to rule that out and indeed, replace the wear ring and potentially impeller if it isn't stock. The best way to do that is to order from a Scarab dealer directly willing to ship to you. Scarab engine related parts use Rotax part numbers and not Sea-Doo numbers, and there is no online system that allows you to reference those. So you're left working with a Scarab dealer or to find equivalent parts that people have verified working. Frankly, finding a good Scarab dealer is best here. Way less trouble and guess work.

Where are you in the world? Assuming you're like most here and from the USA, New Orleans Power Sports is a very big Scarab dealer and can get parts to you via shipping. If you're in Canada, St Onge Power Sports in Barrie, ON has been good with me as well for shipping things.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
0 mm to 0.23 mm (0 in to .009 in) is the gap for brand new. The limit is 0.35 mm (.0138 in) when it's time to replace things.

Chatch92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Luc, I purchased those missing parts from the reverse bucket and installed them and took it out and it got to plane so much faster. So I think that was my issue. Thanks for all your help.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
That seems very odd. But yay? Keep monitoring it and hopefully that was it or something related to it.

Top Bottom