• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 SX190

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long can these boats sit without use?

While I am just now learning about jet boats, I would imagine it is like anything else: if it is stored properly I would believe there shouldn’t be any issues.

Not storing it, just talking about sitting in a garage and haven't used in about 2 months. How long can they sit there?

Not storing it, just talking about sitting in a garage and haven't used in about 2 months. How long can they sit there?

The one thing I would be concerned about is the gas in the tank if it had any ethanol in it. I would probably suggest some stabil regardless, even if you have rec gas in the tank....

Probably the only other thing is possibly the battery. Maybe put it on a float charger.

Hopefully a few others will post up shortly!!!

Depends on fresh water use or salt water use. The gas issue mentioned is a concern .
You could try to go out and just start the engines once a month to help with valve spring compression and condensation in the cylinders that may have open exhaust valves.
The pump liners often swell from dissimilar metal corrosion and if the pump sits for a long time you may hear a ringing from the pump when you start it on the trailer this is the edge of the impeller striking high spots of the liner, in real bad cases the engine may not start if the liner swells up and makes a strong contact with the impeller but this is usually more common around salt water use. If you don't have time for the boat you are just too busy .

We have time its been about month 1/2 but have plans for fishings trips but guess I'm asking if it's just sitting in a garage until the next use how long should that be before any drastic measures need to be taken. Only fresh water use.

Fresh water is a lot easier on boats so if it sits a month you should just start it off the hose and then shut it off after a second or 2.

What about 2 months does it make a difference?

Probably won't hurt it but I personally start my engines once a week if I don't get to use them. I was going out 3 days a week but this red tide is messing that up and the rain we had this summer was ridiculous, and then there is a tropical storm forming in the Gulf of Mexico so damn If I get out once a week now I'm feeling like I accomplished something.

Here is a rule you may want to follow If the boat was sitting for a while check it out and start it BEFORE you hook up and go to the boat ramp. I see a lot of people doing maintenance work at the ramp when the boat wouldn't start when they arrived.

How long does gasoline last in these boats without stabilizer?

Back