• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 SX195 Newb!

osins74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone, appreciate all of the great information on this forum. New boater, and purchased a new to us 2018 SX195 in the fall and had it out on the lake once. Needless to say it was an adventure, ripping around the lake was fun but getting the boat back on the trailer was an experience. I’m thankful that I had a friend with boating experience with me, or I don’t know if I ever would have got the boat out! So after some reading on this forum the following are the add ones this spring;
  1. Cobra Jet Steering Super Ultimate AK
  2. Post load guides
  3. Replace Shorelandr bow roller and add retractable tie downs.
Now on to docking/mooring, we have a seasonal camp ground at the lake and we are planning on leaving the boat docked when we go home for the week. Any recommendations/suggestions when leaving the boat on the water? I’ve seen a few posts on fenders, still not sure what to use. When we purchased the boat the dealer included the contour fenders, anyone have experience them? I was thinking of using a combination of fenders on the boat and bumpers on the dock and would appreciate any recommendations.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
:Welcome: to the best forums on the interweb! Take some pictures of the boat and share them here.
We have the same boat, it was an upgrade from our previous '13 SX190, and we absolutely love the new to us boat! Your list is a good start and I'm sure folks will chime in with additions. As far as loading/docking the boat I was taught long ago that "slow like a pro" is a best practice. Also don't be afraid of going around for another try if things get sideway's, we all had to start from somewhere. With practice you will loading and docking like a pro in no time. If you can get out on the lake during off peak times and just make runs at the trailer or dock it will pay off in the long run. Also, we find it useful to stow the bimini prior to getting to the dock on our way back so if there is wind you don't have a sail pushing you along at the slower manuevering speeds of docking/loading.
My wife now loads the boat onto the trailer, and I winch the boat up. She just needed some practice and no audience for a couple of tries and now I'd put her up against anyone for loading, in the current, wind and in front of audiences! Good Luck!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hello everyone, appreciate all of the great information on this forum. New boater, and purchased a new to us 2018 SX195 in the fall and had it out on the lake once. Needless to say it was an adventure, ripping around the lake was fun but getting the boat back on the trailer was an experience. I’m thankful that I had a friend with boating experience with me, or I don’t know if I ever would have got the boat out! So after some reading on this forum the following are the add ones this spring;
  1. Cobra Jet Steering Super Ultimate AK
  2. Post load guides
  3. Replace Shorelandr bow roller and add retractable tie downs.
Now on to docking/mooring, we have a seasonal camp ground at the lake and we are planning on leaving the boat docked when we go home for the week. Any recommendations/suggestions when leaving the boat on the water? I’ve seen a few posts on fenders, still not sure what to use. When we purchased the boat the dealer included the contour fenders, anyone have experience them? I was thinking of using a combination of fenders on the boat and bumpers on the dock and would appreciate any recommendations.
Congratulations on the purchase! When it comes to fenders, my opinion is bigger is always better. I figured if I spent $40K on a boat then a couple hundred on fenders is a drop in the bucket. I bought 9” diameter Taylor Made fenders and a set of their fender covers as well. The covers are really a necessity if I was going to leave it on the water. That constant rubbing will end up scuffing the hull without them. Also the cleat placement on the 19’ boats is not great for fender placement. I added fender mounts near the front of wake tower and in front of the windshield to have the fender hit in the flattest part of the hull. That also frees up all the cleats for tying to the dock. If your in tidal waters you’ll need to do spring lines with the midship cleat. There’s a great video on YouTube with some young gal and her dad showing how to do that.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CJS Viper system works great on the 19 footers at all speeds and are easy to install. Do yourself a favor and throw out those cheap, useless fenders that come with the boat they are garbage. After a little practice the boat handles really good. Best of luck on the boat.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After trying for a year with 8" fenders on the side of my dock that I tie my boat when not on the lift and dealing with scuff marks from the fenders, I tried these vertical posts. Depending on the setup of your dock, these are adjustable up/down and only impact the boat on the rub rail. I highly recommend if your setup allows. Links below.

1583416379945.png

Ducrotchy1098

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I Agree with [U]FLBulldogger[/U]:
We've all seen the makings of Divorces when boats are trying to be loaded up. Being hasty or trying to get on/off the ramp quickly inadvertently causes stress and accidents. Most of us have been mixed up more than once trying to load up. Trailer placement is key also, not getting it in too deep helps.
Allow yourself time to not only play on the water but if/when you have the ramp all to your onesie take advantage of it! You'll settle into a groove after a few dozen!

osins74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone, appreciate all the feed back. We are lucky that the lake isn’t crazy busy, and the launch is only for the campsite. I will take some time early in the season, during the week when really quiet to practice.

FLBulldogger, I will get some pics up soon.

Will definitely look at the Taylor Made Fenders and covers, as well as the dock mods that Patriot recommended.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @osins74! You came to the right place for advice, there's lots of knowledgeable folks to draw upon. The one thing I have an opinion on is fenders. The typical inflatable fenders are still a winner in my book. Deciding how and where to attach them is a continual debate.
largeimage-287.jpeg
The beauty is that as your boatsy moves against the dock the fenders can roll along the side with it without chafing. The contoured fenders are thin and risk damaging the gel coat with continual rubbing.

As for trailering and docking. Only come at the dock as fast as you're comfortable hitting it. Practice. Practice. Practice. For the trailer. Get it in just deep enough that you can coast it up on the bunks without hitting the bow roller. Then you can crank to finish if the last foot or so. For my AR240 on our ramp, that's deep enough that I can just see the tips of the forward most bunks breaching the surface. If you can come at the trailer with just a little but of momentum to help keep you on target it will help. Too deep and you'll hit the bow and can drift off the side. Not deep enough and you'll never be able to crank it the rest of the way to the roller. There's a hundred ways to do it, but that's been our strategy anyway.

Pics when you got'em! ✌

osins74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took a look at the Taylor Made Fenders, which leads me to my next question. Which ones?
  • Super Gard?
  • Storm Gard?
  • Hull Gard?
Also has anyone used the Taylor Made or similar dock edging?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I bought the Super Gards! They are nice and thick.

osins74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:Welcome: to the best forums on the interweb! Take some pictures of the boat and share them here.
We have the same boat, it was an upgrade from our previous '13 SX190, and we absolutely love the new to us boat! Your list is a good start and I'm sure folks will chime in with additions. As far as loading/docking the boat I was taught long ago that "slow like a pro" is a best practice. Also don't be afraid of going around for another try if things get sideway's, we all had to start from somewhere. With practice you will loading and docking like a pro in no time. If you can get out on the lake during off peak times and just make runs at the trailer or dock it will pay off in the long run. Also, we find it useful to stow the bimini prior to getting to the dock on our way back so if there is wind you don't have a sail pushing you along at the slower manuevering speeds of docking/loading.
My wife now loads the boat onto the trailer, and I winch the boat up. She just needed some practice and no audience for a couple of tries and now I'd put her up against anyone for loading, in the current, wind and in front of audiences! Good Luck!
Hey FLBulldogger, was looking at some older posts and noticed you added the CE Smith guide posts and pads. What size did you go with?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@osins74 bought these on AMAZON the 60 inch posts, the second pair we have installed for 19 footers ('13 sx190 and 18sx195). They work great, my wife is the one that loads the boat on the trailer after I back the trailer down to the ramp, and she swears by them. Abour a 30 to 45 min install! Put them as far back to the rear beam of the trailer. As well as adding the COVERS.
20200407_204504.jpg

Last edited:

osins74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@osins74 bought these on AMAZON the 60 inch posts, the second pair we have installed for 19 footers ('13 sx190 and 18sx195). They work great, my wife is the one that loads the boat on the trailer after I back the trailer down to the ramp, and she swears by them.
Awesome, thank-you for the quick reply.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I like fender of polyform; Polyform G Series boat fenders it can hold air superbly and puncture resistant. That fender better than Polyform A-Series Buoy, the second one color has the tendency to fade.

Last edited: