• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 VRX 203 Electrical Issue/Mystery

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Have an odd electrical issue I am helping someone with on their 2018 VRX 203 with twin NA motors. I run a jet ski shop on the side and am very familiar with the powertrain side of these boats. But electrical is a different story. I've worked on the boat before (eReverse breaker issue 3 years ago) and now he had both batteries go dead on him and not taking charge.

Went to install two new batteries this evening and turned the main battery switch back on after the install. Turned ignition key on and the starboard motor immediately starts cranking over. Shut key off, still cranking. Battery switch to off, still cranking. Took physically removing all battery wires to stop it. Assumed a sticking starter solenoid at first...

Further troubleshooting revealed the main relay in the fuse box on STB motor activates when STB battery is connected, regardless of key position (I glossed over this bit initially when installing batteries). Swapping relays from other motor did nothing. The port motor starts/stops without issue. Leaving the main relay in STB fuse box out keeps it from cranking/starting. But when I do this and leave the STB battery connected the dash stays on even when key is off. It gets dimmer, but will not shut off until that STB battery is disconnected.

Started getting dark on me at his dock/lift so I couldn't do much else from there. My current hypothesis is something between the batteries-dash or dash-motors is the culprit. The motor side of the electronics appears functional. Something is stuck causing that STB motor to stay powered on and crank over. My lack of knowledge on the boats wiring harness side of things certainly isn't helping but with a little direction I can troubleshoot anything.

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
FYI was a issue in the main harness connector in front of both engines above the rear of the fuel tank. Had moisture/corrosion in it.