• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S E Codes Coming Up on Screen

Kernsy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put my batteries on my NOCO Genius 2 trickle charger and one bank has a flashing green light.

I think one of my Interstate batteries has bitten the dust. It is reading no voltage. It is my house battery. My start battery is showing 12.2 volts on my screen. I am installing new batteries tonight.

I have been reading up on the forum & it seems to suggest a bad battery will throw codes.

My codes are Low voltage, GPS Error, Keypad Error.

When I turn on the switches, my blower comes on and screen lights up with error codes but I cannot start it. Throttles are in neutral. Clean out plugs in and hatch down.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Darren Kerns
2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S E

Hi Kernsy -

You may need to look at modifying the automatic transfer switch/DVSR as detailed in this thread:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/battery-switch-and-dvsr.36664/

If you don't, you risk your dual-bank charger actually directly connecting through the DVSR and that will kill batteries as well as the charger.

Quad
That is the little black wire that is connected on the negative terminal. I need to take that off? Right? I did this on my 2017 242 Limited S every time before I hooked up my NOCO Genius 2 bank charger. I forgot all about doing that.

Am I on the right path?

Darren

That's the one! There are some folks that have come up with creative ways of automatically disconnecting that (or just putting a switch inline) but as long as you effectively disconnect it, you're on the right track.

Thanks Quad. I don't know how old these Interstate batteries are on my boat. There is no stickers marked out on the top show that show. I told my wife and I just going to install new Interstate 24M-XHD 800 CCA 1000 MCA. These are the ones on it now. I talked to Stokleys Marine this morn too and he said a bad battery is the #1 cause of throwing codes on the screen. He said to replace both with new so I have peace of mind.

My wife and I have no paperwork on the age of these batteries so I am just going to replace both.

Thanks Quad for the help. I really appreciate. I still have so much to learn about my boat. I am getting there.
Darren

Quad
That is the little black wire that is connected on the negative terminal. I need to take that off? Right? I did this on my 2017 242 Limited S every time before I hooked up my NOCO Genius 2 bank charger. I forgot all about doing that.

Am I on the right path?

Darren
I just drilled a hole in the battery handle and put a toggle switch in it. Turn it on with the batteries and then off with them.

On my 2017 242 Limited S I just disconnected it every time. Then reconnected it before heading to the lake. More time consuming but I did not mind. I loved being on that boat every second I could.
Thanks for the advice.

If you follow the thread posted in the post that @Quad is referencing you have no need for a switch that you can forget. Its easy to access a ignition feed to activate the dsvr. Its a no brainer in my book

Update:
I installed 2 brand new Interstate batteries tonight and my engines fired right up. One of my batteries was completely dead. I mean NOTHING.

I then flushed each motor and I got an Error Code: Keypad Error on touchscreen.

I checked my volts when each engine was running and they were indicating 12.4 to 12.5. I was just idling. My keypad joystick did not operate at all. Nothing worked on it. My touchscreen worked. Is there something I must do to get the keypad (joystick) to work?

I have both batteries on my NOCO Genius 2 trickle charger tonight. I read up on the forum this lower voltage could throw an Error Code.

Also, I noticed my port shift gate was a little higher above the jet nozzle than the starboard side. It was not much but I did notice it.

Any thoughts or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Darren Kerns
2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-series

12.5 is low while running even at idle. Should be 13.5 or higher.
I dont know why one of your new batteries were dead. Did you charge them fully before install?
My batteries read 14+ while idling and 12.8+ at rest

It was one of my old batteries in it that was dead. I put my new batteries in and they will charge all night on the trickle charger.

Back