• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 yamaha 242 limited s e series release?

Shark Sugar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I'm in the market for a new boat and I'm curious if anyone knows when yamaha releases the 2018 models? I don't know if I should hold off to see what yamaha has to offer for the upcoming year. So if anyone knows when the new line comes out that would be a great. Thank you

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They are usually announced around August and they start to hit hit dealers end of fall/early winter.

Shark Sugar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you know if yamaha has released any info on their boats yet for 2018?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha stays tight lipped and won't announce anything until the annual dealers meeting.

Shark Sugar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well it's within the timeframe of when I'm looking to buy. So I guess I will keep an eye out for the new model info. Thanks for the insight.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You've got a 2017 242LSe and you're "in the market" for a 2018?
Yamaha's been busy the past few years, I wouldn't expect much more than new colors.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Considering the flagship 21 footer, the 212X, has the same engines that all the larger 24 footers have, AND Chaparral is winning pretty easily in the horsepower game, I'm hoping Yamaha will step up their game and deliver some higher performance engines for the 24' class soon.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Considering the flagship 21 footer, the 212X, has the same engines that all the larger 24 footers have, AND Chaparral is winning pretty easily in the horsepower game, I'm hoping Yamaha will step up their game and deliver some higher performance engines for the 24' class soon.
I don't think winning the HP game is their mission. If you look at the speeds of Yamaha boats, they are slowing down. I doubt there are any plans to for any significant upgrades.

Besides boattest.com shows the top speed of the Chaparral 24' equipped with twin 250 hp Rotax engines as 54 mph. Yamaha is 50. That's pretty negligible. You want them to slap on even more to the MSRP to make up those 4 mphs?

The Chap 21' with twin 205 hp clocks in at 52.9, and the 250 hp 19' Chap clocks in at 44. That 250 HP 19' Chaparral speed #s are comparable to the base level Yamaha 190 with only 180 hp.

Winning the HP game isn't really getting them better performing boats. Not sure what a 21' twin 250 hp would do though they didn't have one reviewed.

Shark Sugar

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would also imagine that chaparral with twin 250's GPH must be pretty low. I don't like paying fuel dock prices on long trips if I don't have to.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If the history of Yamaha's releases is anything, the 242 series is now "old" and will be upgraded/replaced shortly.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've read where several owners of the Chap 223 with twin 250hp supercharged engines were hitting 63mph. Fuel burn is bad, I'm sure, but hitting 60+ earns you some bragging rights. While looking at the Chaps, I thankfully asked about the supercharger's maintenance schedule and cost - about $1,600 + tax at 200 hours for a rebuild! :eek: While I like high horsepower, I do not like high maintenance or operating expenses and questionable reliability.

I had a '98 Yamaha 1200XL 2 stroker jet ski. The thing ran like a top and would run 55mph like a raped ape. It's because of that ski, that I'm interested in Yamaha again for a boat.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 223 with the twin 250 wasn't tested, so you may be right about that. That's also their 21' boat not their 24', your original post was wanting more performance out of the 24' line from Yamaha.

The twin 250 rotax in a 21' boat that the other jet makers offer may be where they separate from Yamaha performance wise, but all the other boats seem to be comparable, and some like in the 19' have really poor performance for the amount of HP they are supposedly packing.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Last year I had a scarab 21 footer with twin 250. I could hit 60+ in any condition. It was cool every now and then but sucked the fuel.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before i bought a boat i always looked at top speed. After i bought a boat i find us extremely rarely going wot... i still would not want a boat tha maxs at 35 mph but i dont put as much value in the overall top speed like i use too. (Thinks to self.... am i too old? Am i becoming my dad?)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before i bought a boat i always looked at top speed. After i bought a boat i find us extremely rarely going wot... i still would not want a boat tha maxs at 35 mph but i dont put as much value in the overall top speed like i use too. (Thinks to self.... am i too old? Am i becoming my dad?)
Same here. Top speed is overrated. My wife hates going fast. She would rather cruise along at a comfortable speed and anchor in a cove somewhere to sun bath. I don't think of us as too terribly old yet either at 33 and 34. I've been looking at wake boats and their top speed is lacking. I was worried at first but the more I think about it I think it would be just fine.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here. Top speed is overrated. My wife hates going fast. She would rather cruise along at a comfortable speed and anchor in a cove somewhere to sun bath. I don't think of us as too terribly old yet either at 33 and 34. I've been looking at wake boats and their top speed is lacking. I was worried at first but the more I think about it I think it would be just fine.
As a friend of ours who owns a beautiful Nautique puts it: "speed means nothing" in a wake boat.
The only reason Yamaha would need more power would be if they make a true wake boat.

--

Impeller>Propeller

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the history of Yamaha's releases is anything, the 242 series is now "old" and will be upgraded/replaced shortly.
That's what I was thinking. I know a 24ft overhaul has to be in the works. If not a 2018 model then 2019. The progression of yamaha over the years has been an real eye pleaser. Excited to see what's in store

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They may go to a 26 footer for the next big change before they go to bigger engines. Just a thought.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
at a little more than 4000lbs in the 242x, Yamaha is at a point where they will need to do something in the power range soon. I can noticeably tell a difference in my CARB 242x over my 232L-S when up at Lake Tahoe. The altitude affected both boats (a drop of about 1,000rpm) however, I notice the drop in horsepower more in the 242. It's that extra 700lbs over the 232.