• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212 Limited S Oil & Air Filters

LakeGuyNE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am looking for a substitute oil filter for the 2019 212 Limited S. Good quality name brand; such as Fram.
Also, has anyone found a source for substitute air filters for the same boat?

Thank you

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Fram has what they say is a reference - I choose to pay the extra money and use the factory Denso though.

You have the NA 1.8L; right? Fram PH6022

LakeGuyNE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fram has what they say is a reference - I choose to pay the extra money and use the factory Denso though.

You have the NA 1.8L; right? Fram PH6022

Thank you. I change oil and filter frequently so a good quality Fram oil filter will do just fine.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just my 2 cents, but I've been in the auto industry for 20 years and there's no way I would use a fram filter. They are junk. Use oem. Seriously that is with any thing, Marine engine or Auto engine. Is 2-4 dollars more going to really break the bank when you have something you want to last? BOAT=bust out another thousand. That is the price you pay if you want to get longevity out of something.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Just my 2 cents, but I've been in the auto industry for 20 years and there's no way I would use a fram filter. They are junk. Use oem. Seriously that is with any thing, Marine engine or Auto engine. Is 2-4 dollars more going to really break the bank when you have something you want to last? BOAT=bust out another thousand. That is the price you pay if you want to get longevity out of something.
Yep. The only aftermarket I'd use is a Wix...

I still use the OE filter

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For our vehicles and our boat, we always use factory oil and filters, they only cost a couple bucks more and spending 4-6 bucks a year is good coverage for any warranty claims down the road. Engine air and cabin filters are another story - we buy and replace our own air filters at local suppliers because the factory units cost 2-3x as much and they're so easy to change.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you. I change oil and filter frequently so a good quality Fram oil filter will do just fine.
Please define "frequently" - if it's more often than required, then you're just wasting money. The oil, filter and engines themselves are designed to work with the specified equipment and should be changed per schedule. Unless there's an issue, like severe age and wear, there's no reason to dump perfectly good oil.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If doing watersports using extra ballast or carrying heavy loads I'd change the oil more often than recommended.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
You can debate oil change intervals all you want. There is only one way to really know and that's an oil analysis.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If doing watersports using extra ballast or carrying heavy loads I'd change the oil more often than recommended.
Why? The engine isn't really working any harder - water density doesn't change with heavier loads. It affects acceleration, but not loading on the engine which is designed to rev and run WOT unlike a car. Even in a car the engine only revs higher when towing, but the tranny and driveline does work harder. I change AWD tranny, case, and diff fluids more often than scheduled due to towing. If I was towing heavy loads through mountains daily, then I'd change engine oil sooner due to greater revs and wear.

Last edited:

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can debate oil change intervals all you want. There is only one way to really know and that's an oil analysis.
That's correct, which is why it's a good idea in commercial vehicles that work hard daily. For typical car/truck owner use it's a non-issue. Change oil per manufacturer's schedule in the owner's manual and you'll be fine.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why? The engine isn't really working any harder - water density doesn't change with heavier loads. It affects acceleration, but not loading on the engine which is designed to rev and run WOT unlike a car. Even in a car the engine only revs higher when towing, but the tranny and driveline does work harder. I change AWD tranny, case, and diff fluids more often than scheduled due to towing. If I was towing heavy loads through mountains daily, then I'd change engine oil sooner due to greater revs and wear.
The engine does work harder the more weight is has to push through a medium. When you add a lot of ballast to a Yamaha the RPM's are much higher to sustain a given set speed than without the extra weight.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The engine does work harder the more weight is has to push through a medium. When you add a lot of ballast to a Yamaha the RPM's are much higher to sustain a given set speed than without the extra weight.
Sure it's reving higher, but it's not enduring greater hardship or stress on the engine than running WOT. Oil schedules are based on worst case conditions, so running higher revs during wakeboarding or running WOT do not shorten hours of use. You change the oil at 100 hours or yearly, whichever comes first. If you only toodle around in your boat, oil wear will be much less, but you still should change yearly due to age breakdown and moisture absorption as recommended by the manufacturer.