• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212x Bimini

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, we finally got around to trying some board sports on our 2019 212x today and ran into a problem. The Bimini top, when rolled up/stored doesn’t move down flush with the tower, below the tower row point. It’s probably an inch or so too long. When I force it, I can only get it down so that it gets stuck at the indent where the tow rope attaches. We had to take the Bimini off to attach a rope to the tower tow point. Anybody else have this issue, or know of a solution? I’m looking at @PJ73 or others that might have run into this.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2017 is the same way. I just lean it back and put in the back poles without opening it up.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to try that next time we are out. Seems like crazy bad quality control to have the Bimini in the way of the wake tower towpoint on a boat intended for watersports.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, that's new. I usually run with the top open and feed through the cutout to the tow point. However, now that you mention that, I will have to look at it when rolled up. I guess it could be an issue thinking about how it's rolled and stored. I'm sure one of us will find a solution to this issue. I'll be heading out Sunday (weather permitting) so I'll take some pics and a vid to see what can be done. @Jameson Clark idea might be the way around it. Jameson, do you leave it pretty much zipped up or do you need to undo it and let everything fold back?

Lakedogs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our 2018 212x is the same. In fact, with the bimini stored against the tower, it blocks the navigation light from the rear. We either have the bimini fully open or removed from the boat. Our dealer contacted Yamaha several times and confirmed both the tower mounts and bimini are correct for the boat. Yamaha will not offer any additional help or warranty stating that it is how they designed it. So, yeah, that is frustrating. Otherwise, we absolutely love the boat and just overlook this one issue.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, that's new. I usually run with the top open and feed through the cutout to the tow point. However, now that you mention that, I will have to look at it when rolled up. I guess it could be an issue thinking about how it's rolled and stored. I'm sure one of us will find a solution to this issue. I'll be heading out Sunday (weather permitting) so I'll take some pics and a vid to see what can be done. @Jameson Clark idea might be the way around it. Jameson, do you leave it pretty much zipped up or do you need to undo it and let everything fold back?
I don't take the bimini cover off of it. Just lean it back in put the rear support poles in place.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our 2018 212x is the same. In fact, with the bimini stored against the tower, it blocks the navigation light from the rear. We either have the bimini fully open or removed from the boat. Our dealer contacted Yamaha several times and confirmed both the tower mounts and bimini are correct for the boat. Yamaha will not offer any additional help or warranty stating that it is how they designed it. So, yeah, that is frustrating. Otherwise, we absolutely love the boat and just overlook this one issue.
Wow, that is massively frustrating. Looking at their manual, it looks to me like the Bimini is below the tow point when stored.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't take the bimini cover off of it. Just lean it back in put the rear support poles in place.
We haven’t gone out on the water like that yet, but tried setting it up that way. Seems like it will work. Have you had problems with people hitting their head on the rolled up bimini when going to the swim platform? Seems like it might be easy to forget it is there when not fully deployed.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We haven’t gone out on the water like that yet, but tried setting it up that way. Seems like it will work. Have you had problems with people hitting their head on the rolled up bimini when going to the swim platform? Seems like it might be easy to forget it is there when not fully deployed.
I don't leave it like that. It's rare we don't have the top up anyway, but this is my work around when needed. After we're done wakeboarding, I put it right back up strapped to the tower.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe that the 2017-19 212X's were designed to have the tow line fed over the top of the bimini, when it is open. PJ73, does the line hit the underside of the bimini frame or ride on the sound bar when you feed it up through the bottom? Do you by chance have any pictures on the water towing like this? Somewhere there is a stock photo (I believe from Yamaha) showing the tow line above the bimini.

Also, that's a great idea for using the tower with the bimini closed, Jameson--one that certainly hadn't occurred to me. Will give that a try next time out.

Jeff