• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212X Creaking noises from multiple places when turning sharply.

DetroiTodd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Today we were pulling our two little kids (<100 lbs total) on the tube from the tower, like we've done many times this year. At some point we started to hear unusual sounds when we did sharp turns, creaking would be the best way I could describe it. Neither my wife nor I could pinpoint it, but it seemed to come from both sides of the boat near the mid and aft. We then ran the boat without pulling anything and it would still make those noises during sharp turns at speed.

I called our dealer and spoke to whoever answered the phone in service, he didn't have any idea other than maybe the tower. Like I told him though I was hearing it from areas other than where the tower connects. He thought we should just keep using it and run the season out rather than lose it to service since they'd have to bring it in and sea trial it themselves(they won't do remote service).

I tried googling it like I usually do when I have problems with things and 99.99% of the time I can find someone who's had the same or very similar problem, but with this I can't find a single post anywhere for any issue like this. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any clue since I trust the collective wisdom of this group far more than the single unknown service guy I talked to. I'm not mechanically savvy but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what could cause this, my best hunch is tower or something to do with the fuel compartment like the tank coming lose and shifting if that's even possible.

I'll mention we keep it docked all season in the water. Another (maybe related?) problem is there has been a small amount of standing water in the ski locker since we put it in a month and a half ago that we can't get rid of. That issue I've seen discussed many times.

Thanks for any input.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My guess is the sharp turns are causing the hull to flex, which is either directly causing the noise, or the flex is causing a fitment issue which is the noise. Only a guess, haven’t had/noticed the issue. I did read somewhere on here that people going off shore have hit big enough surf to cause enough flex in the hull, that has resulted in the front window going past the frame and drops into the boat.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Today we were pulling our two little kids (<100 lbs total) on the tube from the tower, like we've done many times this year.
Just FYI - Yamaha recommends pulling tubes from the rear tow point which is the stainless steel handle on the swim platform. While the tower should be able to handle your tube with little kids, it's not recommended by the manufacturer which may void any warranty claims. Having said that, many here tow tubes from the tower without issue.
At some point we started to hear unusual sounds when we did sharp turns, creaking
Get some screwdrivers and wrenches, and go over all the nuts and bolts and screws on the boat. So far we've been lucky and had no loose screws in the engine bay, but did find a few loose screws/nuts in the windshield, behind the dash of the helm, and the center hatch. Locktite on these loose items fixes them up nicely. I'm betting your tower bolts are a bit loose or something similar - find the loose items, add locktite and you're golden.
:D

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I certainly have a different tower and a lot more joints...All my annoying creaking comes from my tower, especially when we hit waves (not pulling anyone) . Not so much when I'm towing with the tower, cause I have tension on it. I apply to all the joints at least twice a season to keep it quiet, white lithium, anti-seize and WD-40 Marine. I totally agree @212s and have experience many loose cleats, fittings, etc. Definetly take the time to go over the boat. The service dept. is certainly not going to take the time like an owner when they prep the boat from the factory to make sure everything is set...I've found scaps of fiberglass, clamps, wires, left over capet pieces, shavings all throughout the boat as I've explored and installed mods in all places..
Maybe the hatch that covers the fuel tank is flexing and rubbing on something as the deck and hull flexes?..I missed out on hinged seats, but maybe hit the hinges with some lube..I would lubricate all gaskets, hatches, and joints as much as you can and keep an eye out for any unusual or out of place wear marks...

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a similar noise when towing with my ar190, I tightened the light on top of the wake tower by hand and it solved my problem.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I‘ve had and heard those creaking noises and spent some time diagnosing, my conclusion they come from where the tower meets the boat on both sides. Appears there are some gaps between matting tower and base parts and when the tower flexes due to hitting waves, they rattle against the matting base there. I can’t find a good picture but here is one I found on the site. I plan to add some padding In this area to see if my theory is right and this can minimize the rattling noises. They are very annoying!

C92B38CF-33BB-44E8-8925-786D681D8A4D.jpeg

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t know if this will help the OP but @ZGhost on our series tower there is a set screw on the underside of the tower frame when it is folded down. It’s an Allen-screw that has a ball bearing on the end which applies pressure to the tower lock pins. I had rattling and squeaking from the tower in rougher chop, found and tightened this screw, and it has fixed the problem. May want to try it out.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t know if this will help the OP but @ZGhost on our series tower there is a set screw on the underside of the tower frame when it is folded down. It’s an Allen-screw that has a ball bearing on the end which applies pressure to the tower lock pins. I had rattling and squeaking from the tower in rougher chop, found and tightened this screw, and it has fixed the problem. May want to try it out.
Well, that would be a great place to start @Plpbecks, I just identified where the noise is coming from but honestly, have not yet begun the real hunt to fix yet. It’s hard to do anything when the darn boat has to go back to storage after each outing, sucks! One never gets to puts around the boat during the week to do projects like this. Anyway, I will look closer at this set screw and try that first, thanks for mentioning it.

DetroiTodd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We took the boat out today and the noise vanished! Didn't hear a thing, couldn't replicate it. Going to check all these suggestions if/when it comes back and maybe even if it doesn't.

My wife thinks it's maybe related to the Bimini top because when we heard it, it's one of the only times we've not had the Bimini top up. I'm not sure though because when we both got down on all fours to listen, it certainly sounded like it came from inside the hull.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Gotta love it when the boat fixes itself!

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have had rattles in my boat when the Bimini top is closed, there are some small set screws that I tighted and it went away. Also don't ever tell the dealer you pull tubes from the tower, my Ar190 has a sticker on the base of the tower and specifically says don't pull towables/tubes.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sorry, but in the manual, and I believe even on the stickers next to the tower (if they're still there), it says do not pull inflatables from the tower. Glad the sound went away!