• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 212X - Watersports Beginner

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Friends!

I attempted to wakeboard during my last outing but was unsuccessful standing up on the board. What's the best approach from not only the boarder, but from the driver as it's her first time pulling anyone for that type of sport. Speed? How fast to accelerate, etc..?

secondly,

I just picked up my wakebooster package and will attempt to wake surf this Saturday. Any recommendations as far as speeds, weight, etc?

thanks for your help!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My advice is to watch some YouTube videos on getting up and riding. There are some great ones out there. Basic tips are, bend your knees, arms staight and let the boat pull you up.

As for the driver, creeping forward on and off the throttle to take the slack out of the line and giving the rider a little back pressure. Then when ready slowly rolling onto the throttle. If the rope is being pulled from your hands then it's too fast. Once up, most beginners are going to feel most stable around 18 mph.

Last edited:

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is how I teach the kids:

-Sitting in the water with the board in front of you (perpendicular to the boat) put the rope between your legs on top of the board. Use a double overhand grip.
-The board will naturally float in a good position for you to get in a seated or crouched position.
-When the driver rolls on the throttle you should immediately shift your stance so your left side is facing the stern of the boat.
I also tell the kids to “drop your right foot”/ put your right foot back and your left foot forward.
-Assuming the driver didn’t apply throttle too slowly (as in REALLY slowly) or too fast (as in before your wakeboard can get on plane) then you will now be wakebording and now get to work on balancing your body so you don’t fall over.

Wakeboards are basically just giant pieces of plywood that have no choice but to float. As long as you can get the balance down you’ll never have any trouble getting up.

I honestly believe I could get up behind an electric trolling motor...

Some people will start with the wakeboard submerged, almost like they’re standing on it underwater. I’ve never understood this, and it is just making things harder for no reason.

Speed for wakeboarding should be between 18-24, depending on how your wake is looking.
Your driver should probably plan on going to half-throttle initially, and get there gradually/intentionally in around the time it takes to count “one, one-thousand; two, two-thousand”

If you feel like you’re getting pulled head over heels; slow-down the throttle application
If you feel like you’re bogging down and drowning; speed it up

Last edited:

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My advice is to watch some YouTube videos on getting up and riding. There are some great ones out there. Basic tips are, bend your knees, arms staight and let the boat pull you up.

As for the driver, creeping forward on and off the throttle to take the slack out of the line and giving the rider a little back pressure. Then when ready slowly rolling onto the throttle. If the rope is bent pulled from your hands then it's too fast. Once up, most beginners are going to feel most stable around 18 mph.
Thank you for the insight!

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This is how I teach the kids:

-Sitting in the water with the board in front of you (perpendicular to the boat) put the rope between your legs on top of the board. Use a double overhand grip.
-The board will naturally float in a good position for you to get in a seated or crouched position.
-When the driver rolls on the throttle you should immediately shift your stance so your left side is facing the stern of the boat.
I also tell the kids to “drop your right foot”/ put your right foot back and your left foot forward.
-Assuming the driver didn’t apply throttle too slowly (as in REALLY slowly) or too fast (as in before your wakeboard can get on plane) then you will now be wakebording and now get to work on balancing your body so you don’t fall over.

Wakeboards are basically just giant pieces of plywood that have no choice but to float. As long as you can get the balance down you’ll never have any trouble getting up.

I honestly believe I could get up behind an electric trolling motor...

Some people will start with the wakeboard submerged, almost like they’re standing on it underwater. I’ve never understood this, and it is just making things harder for no reason.

Speed for wakeboarding should be between 18-24, depending on how your wake is looking.
Your driver should probably plan on going to half-throttle initially, and get there gradually/intentionally in around the time it takes to count “one, one-thousand; two, two-thousand”

If you feel like you’re getting pulled head over heels; slow-down the throttle application
If you feel like you’re bogging down and drowning; speed it up

I shall keep working on this. Good to know the speed range!

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is what is working for us with the new WakeBooster: (1) surfer MUST start from the side they will be surfing, (2) get to 10 mph quickly, (3) surf side engine around 7000 rpms and non surf side adjust rpms to keep speed at 10 mph, (4) 750lbs FATSAC on rear deck surf side. I posted a video on YouTube to show the difference between no ballast, stock, and additional ballast. Weight is a key contributing factor to any surf boat. Lastly, set stereo volume above 90% to keep the energy going 😊. If the surfer starts off in the center, they risk direct jet thrust.

Hope this helps and any recommendations are welcome.

WakeBooster Video

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Here is what is working for us with the new WakeBooster: (1) surfer MUST start from the side they will be surfing, (2) get to 10 mph quickly, (3) surf side engine around 7000 rpms and non surf side adjust rpms to keep speed at 10 mph, (4) 750lbs FATSAC on rear deck surf side. I posted a video on YouTube to show the difference between no ballast, stock, and additional ballast. Weight is a key contributing factor to any surf boat. Lastly, set stereo volume above 90% to keep the energy going 😊. If the surfer starts off in the center, they risk direct jet thrust.

Hope this helps and any recommendations are welcome.

WakeBooster Video
Were you ever able to surf without the rope?