• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE engines hours out of sync BAD!

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good News guys !! About a month ago , knowing that I was looking at a 2 week business trip and would not be using my boat , I contacted my dealer about bring it in while I was gone ? It needed the 10 hour service (no biggie) , but I had the dreaded BCU error the previous two outing when turning the wheel full lock and shifting from forward to neutral / reverse which is also well documented on this forum , and the engine hours out of balance when operating throttles in sync mode. Both issues have been FIXED but I will only detail the engine hours on this thread. There IS a firmware update for Connex. It is version 39 and it works !! The only bad part is the dealers can not do it. The Connex must be removed from boat dash and sent to Kennesaw , Ga. They flash the unit and send back to the dealer. I was on the lake this past Wednesday and put it to the test. Got both engines exactly the same hours , down to the tenths , within 3 seconds of each other. Put both engines in neutral and activated throttle sync. Ran at 6000 RPMs (about 33mph) for 1 hour. Both engines showed exactly 1 hour more and changed tenths about 3 seconds apart. Well satisfied with the update.
This is great news. Thanks so much for sharing!

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good News guys !! About a month ago , knowing that I was looking at a 2 week business trip and would not be using my boat , I contacted my dealer about bring it in while I was gone ? It needed the 10 hour service (no biggie) , but I had the dreaded BCU error the previous two outing when turning the wheel full lock and shifting from forward to neutral / reverse which is also well documented on this forum , and the engine hours out of balance when operating throttles in sync mode. Both issues have been FIXED but I will only detail the engine hours on this thread. There IS a firmware update for Connex. It is version 39 and it works !! The only bad part is the dealers can not do it. The Connex must be removed from boat dash and sent to Kennesaw , Ga. They flash the unit and send back to the dealer. I was on the lake this past Wednesday and put it to the test. Got both engines exactly the same hours , down to the tenths , within 3 seconds of each other. Put both engines in neutral and activated throttle sync. Ran at 6000 RPMs (about 33mph) for 1 hour. Both engines showed exactly 1 hour more and changed tenths about 3 seconds apart. Well satisfied with the update.
Is this still working correctly? Was GA able to correct the engine hours in the Connext to match actual Engine hours?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes , no issues with Connex since the unit was reflashed with the most recent firmware. Engine hours are the same and I have been running in throttle sync mode a lot since it was updated.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was GA able to correct the engine hours in the Connext to match actual Engine hours? I had a Connext replacement at one point so my hours on the Connext are about 50hours shy of actual hours.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was not aware or really concerned about matching the Connex engine hours to the "actual" engine hours ? The issue as I understood it was that when operating in throttle sync mode only one engine was registering hours in Connex. Other threads on this forum have members reporting big differences in port and starboard engine time on the Connex screen when they always start /stop engines together. The difference seemed to get bigger the more they operated in throttle sync mode.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was not aware or really concerned about matching the Connex engine hours to the "actual" engine hours ? The issue as I understood it was that when operating in throttle sync mode only one engine was registering hours in Connex. Other threads on this forum have members reporting big differences in port and starboard engine time on the Connex screen when they always start /stop engines together. The difference seemed to get bigger the more they operated in throttle sync mode.
Yes, what you explain is also my issue. I also had a Connext replacement at ~50Hr mark. These hours are missing from Connext, and now with the discrepency also between port and starboard, tracking actual hours has been painful.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Understood . While I'm satisfied the Connex issue has been resolved with latest update (#39) , pretty sure it does nothing to address the difference between real engine hours and Connex hours ? Sorry !

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Both issues have been FIXED but I will only detail the engine hours on this thread. There IS a firmware update for Connex. It is version 39 and it works !!
Luckily I did not have the bcu problem. I do however use the throttle sync feature any time I kick it up on plane. My hours were definitely desync'ing and I dont think they were accumulating properly on either side as when my dealer pulled the hours from the ecu's, they were probably 4-7 hours higher at 96 each. Connext showed i believe 92/89 and some tenths.

Dealer told me they were able to apply v39 fw update but that they had to send the connext unit to yamaha to update the hours to match the motors.

Should be good to go! Great info here as usual! Thanks!

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is all repaired now. They had to get a new updated Connext from GA. GA programmed the actual motor hours in to it as well as v39. Then dealer installed it and now I am good to go. The sucky part was it took two weeks between reading motor hours and getting connext installed. That was two weeks without a boat. But in that time I installed 2nd bilge, new pissers, secondary fuse panel, SimRad, and trim tabs. So time was not wasted.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another update. I have run the boat around about 20 hours more, and everything seems to be preforming as expected. I believe this fixed it for good.

shankska

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
does anyone know how to pull up the diag window that shows the firmware/software version connext system is on? trying to check if mine is on v39 or not

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
does anyone know how to pull up the diag window that shows the firmware/software version connext system is on? trying to check if mine is on v39 or not
I thought I read in at least one thread that you hold the SYS CONTROL button. Not sure all the years for which that would be valid and I haven't tried it myself yet. 🤞 I'm sure a more knowledgeable person than myself will be able to confirm this.

EDIT: Added src thread link.

shankska

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks tried the sys control but did not work. The gear icon worked. Or holding down the settings icon. Had an option for software. It looks like I have v37? Which does not have the hours fix right? I need v39

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They put a yellow sticker on the back side (helm storage area) of mine when they updated. Sticker just has "39" hand written ? Might want to update your profile ? 2011 AR21 didn't have Connext.

shankska

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check you software version in connext? Include pic and I will compare. I believe only versions I am aware of it 31, 37, and 39

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will next time on the boat. Boat is 100 miles away from my home and the weather is lousy !! Forecast for tomorrow and Monday not much better. May be the following weekend ?

shankska

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sticker on back of my unit shows version 37. which is what I was thinking based on the numbering on the connext diag screen

Attachments