• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 SE front bow speaker crackling

Krsmith870

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so my boat has about 4 hours on it so pretty much new. The problem I’m having is the front right bow speaker is crackling. I’m not real good with audio can anyone tell me where to start looking for a bad connection? Or have anyone had this same issue? Just very annoying. Thanks!

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Haven’t had the same issue, is this issue the same across all audio sources? (BT, Radio, etc.)

If so, I would start by wiggling the audio output wires from the amp in the starboard helm locker, see if you can duplicate it there.

if that’s not it, you may have to pull the speaker out and check the connections at the back.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the speaker connection, on our 2017 I found the factory spade connector was loose.
Actually it was installed incorrectly from the factory (no surprise).
The male speaker spade was between the vinyl cover of the female spade and the spade....rather than actually in the female spade....so it was crackling.

Krsmith870

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Haven’t had the same issue, is this issue the same across all audio sources? (BT, Radio, etc.)

If so, I would start by wiggling the audio output wires from the amp in the starboard helm locker, see if you can duplicate it there.

if that’s not it, you may have to pull the speaker out and check the connections at the back.
I will do so thanks!

Krsmith870

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check the speaker connection, on our 2017 I found the factory spade connector was loose.
Actually it was installed incorrectly from the factory (no surprise).
The male speaker spade was between the vinyl cover of the female spade and the spade....rather than actually in the female spade....so it was crackling.
Thanks for the info!

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Couple of more things to try if the previous suggestions don't help. With the crackling speaker removed, get about 15 or so feet of 14 gauge two lead wire and run it from the output channel of the amplifier which goes to that speaker (right or left) and see if the speaker still crackles. If so, then try pulling the other bow speaker out and hook it up to the original wires on the crackling speaker side. If it still crackles, then the problem is either the amplifier or something coming to the input side of the amp.

At that point, I'd be considering warranty work, because the problem is either the head unit (unlikely because apparently the other speakers on the same side of the boat aren't crackling), wiring on the input side, or the amp itself. These Wet Sounds systems use DSP amps with no ability to adjust or test the input side, unless you cut into the wiring on the input side which goes to the plug in the amp. You don't want to be doing that. If you go to the dealer under warranty, they can switch parts out (like the input harness, amplifier, etc.) until they find the problem.

Chances are it's a loose connection on the output side at the speaker, as noted above. Or a bad speaker, or the wire itself going to that speaker is broken or compromised inside the insulation. One of the suggestions you've received in this thread will isolate it.

Please let us know what you find.

Jeff