• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR 190

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking for some performance mods to gain some top speed 34 mph @ 7800 rpm is what I’m at currently. I’m not looking to break the bank but my boat is the slowest thing on the river. I did the ribon delete and haven’t noticed much of a difference didn’t know if anyone has had any success with making these boats any faster.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking for some performance mods to gain some top speed 34 mph @ 7800 rpm is what I’m at currently. I’m not looking to break the bank but my boat is the slowest thing on the river. I did the ribbon delete and haven’t noticed much of a difference didn’t know if anyone has had any success with making these boats any faster.
Are you at elevation? 34mph is low for those revs. How does it launch? Does it spin up then catch, or just catch and go?

I get closer to 41-42mph with 7,600-ish revs on my '17 AR190. Only mods are ribbon delete and L13 cone (one spacer removed). Thing launches like a scared cat on carpet too.

Get as much weight as you can out of the bow. This hull/engine setup is super sensitive to weight placement. 4-adults in the cockpit and a giant yeti on the swim platform and I got 42mph. Same yeti, but 3 adults, 1 in the cockpit and 2 in the bow and speed dropped to 38mph on the way home. Just moving those two bodies to the bow dropped speed by 4mph, and we had "filtered" quite a few drinks out of the yeti over the course of the day.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new hull change for 2019 from previous years did take away from the top speed. My 2019 SX190 is only good for about 35-37, with 2-4 people on board and usually half a tank and I'm only at 600 ft elevation.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new hull change for 2019 from previous years did take away from the top speed. My 2019 SX190 is only good for about 35-37, with 2-4 people on board and usually half a tank and I'm only at 600 ft elevation.
I had no idea the newer hull design had that level of impact to top speed.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get closer to 41-42mph with 7,600-ish revs on my '17 AR190. Only mods are ribbon delete and L13 cone (one spacer removed). Thing launches like a scared cat on carpet too.
Are you happy with the L13 on your Ar190? I have a '14 AR190 and am thinking about it if it would make a noticeable difference in hole shot and popping skiers out of the water faster.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you happy with the L13 on your Ar190? I have a '14 AR190 and am thinking about it if it would make a noticeable difference in hole shot and popping skiers out of the water faster.
I am. It made a noticeable improvement. I have a thread around here somewhere with "before and after" videos the day I installed it. Will take some Google-Fu to track those down.

Can't find the thread. Here's the videos

Before:

After:

I got an equally good improvement from sealing the intake tunnel. Here's the thread for that

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am at 780 elevation and the boat hooks up and goes no problem. It’s really fast from a stop just not getting anywhere near the top speed I thought I would get but maybe it’s the haul change. I was at 30-31 with 2 ppl in the bow but got back to around 34 with them in the back of the boat. From what I read the lucky 13 would only give me a better hole shot not top speed? Also is there anything to help with high speed turning?

Inlikeflinn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2020 ar190 and 37/38 on gps w full tank of gas and my family of five (kids avg 75 lbs each). Heard the newer hull and CA CARB w 4 stars will be slower than pre 2019. On the flip side, the catalytic converter on these CA models makes harbor cruises and wake surfing close behind boat less carbon monoxide.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am at 780 elevation and the boat hooks up and goes no problem. It’s really fast from a stop just not getting anywhere near the top speed I thought I would get but maybe it’s the haul change. I was at 30-31 with 2 ppl in the bow but got back to around 34 with them in the back of the boat. From what I read the lucky 13 would only give me a better hole shot not top speed? Also is there anything to help with high speed turning?
I also installed the Lucky 13 cone on my SX190, hole shot is definetly better, no cavitation at all when I take off at full throttle. Installed it to limit cavitation when pulling skiers/wakeboarders from take off and through turns.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2020 ar190 and 37/38 on gps w full tank of gas and my family of five (kids avg 75 lbs each).
Same here. The fastest I seen was on the river at 40 (gps) with just me and my son. I plan to do the ribbon delete and lucky13 cone in the near future.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
talbert89, are those speeds gps confirmed?

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have checked my speedo with the gps speed on my phone and it has been accurate each time but have not tried this season yet I think I just got a slow boat lol. Id be happy to see low 40s like I thought I was getting when I bought the boat. That doesn’t seem very achievable with out wasting tons of money and possibly sacrificing reliability. Any input or idea is greatly appreciated but it looks like I will be looking to trade her in next season.

Last edited:

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like Crob83 said, might have to get a 195. Realistically, you should see mid to high 30s with people onboard on a 2019+ 190. You would probably do good selling it right now considering how the market is.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked mine on Saturday. '17 AR190, so it's the "previous" hull design. Only mods are a ribbon delete and L13 Cone with one spacer removed. Air temp was around 85degF, Water temp was around 60degF. bimini was up, and light to no wind. Myself, Wife, 2 boys (under 10), and a medium sized cooler, as well as 34 tank of fuel. Water was mostly smooth, but not glass.

Top speed of 43mph @ 7650rpm. GPS confirmed. Even a light touch on the steering wheel would drop it back under 40, and down to ~7550rpm or so. Had to essentially let the boat "drive itself" at speed to keep the nozzle from interfering with speed.

Cruised most of the day at ~30mph around 6,500-7k rpm depending on conditions.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really need to do the lucky 13 and ribbon delete mod on mine.

Inlikeflinn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checked mine on Saturday. '17 AR190, so it's the "previous" hull design. Only mods are a ribbon delete and L13 Cone with one spacer removed. Air temp was around 85degF, Water temp was around 60degF. bimini was up, and light to no wind. Myself, Wife, 2 boys (under 10), and a medium sized cooler, as well as 34 tank of fuel. Water was mostly smooth, but not glass.

Top speed of 43mph @ 7650rpm. GPS confirmed. Even a light touch on the steering wheel would drop it back under 40, and down to ~7550rpm or so. Had to essentially let the boat "drive itself" at speed to keep the nozzle from interfering with speed.

Cruised most of the day at ~30mph around 6,500-7k rpm depending on conditions.
Which of the three spacers did you remove and what was your top speed before the L13?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which of the three spacers did you remove and what was your top speed before the L13?
I removed the red one from the stack. No idea what that thickness is. Overall VERY little difference in that change. Possibly a slight increase in pump blowout while turning, but no major change in top speed or top revs from the full stack.

Before:
1622574861704.png

After:
1622574883618.png

Top Speed is largely unchanged before and after the L13. I've hit as high as 45 in excellent conditions (419' above MSL in 45deg dry weather, going UP river on the Ohio, likely had a water speed around 48 assuming a 3mph current) with a light load with the L13. Without the L13 top speed was 42-43 in near perfect conditions. So, perhaps 1-2mph total change before and after. The L13 was purchased and installed largely to combat cavitation issues. I could easily blow out the pump on hard turns when tubing, or on hard acceleration pulling boarders out of deep water starts. The boat was also very sensitive to load in terms of cavitation. The largest benefit, by far, was consistency of performance. It launches like a scared cat on carpet now with or without a load. Doesn't matter if it's 120deg in the shade with a full crew, or just me and the dog in 50deg weather, it launches the same, pulls the same, and tops out the same. I should say that I felt a similar value in sealing the intake tunnel with marine adhesive. I would highly recommend sealing the tunnel and testing before spending the cash on the L13. Here's where I sealed mine.

Checked this past Sunday afternoon. Decent conditions, got 42mph@7650rpm@537' above MSL. Same "small" stack as shown above, sealant hasn't been touched or examined this season, new plugs and fresh oil change. Myself, Wife, 2 kids, 50lb dog, and 3 coolers aboard as well as normal running gear. I might throw the large spacer back in before we head to the Gulf in 2 weeks, but otherwise I'm considering this to be running about as well as can be expected for the boat/engine combination.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I removed the red one from the stack. No idea what that thickness is. Overall VERY little difference in that change. Possibly a slight increase in pump blowout while turning, but no major change in top speed or top revs from the full stack.

Before:
View attachment 152068

After:
View attachment 152069

Top Speed is largely unchanged before and after the L13. I've hit as high as 45 in excellent conditions (419' above MSL in 45deg dry weather, going UP river on the Ohio, likely had a water speed around 48 assuming a 3mph current) with a light load with the L13. Without the L13 top speed was 42-43 in near perfect conditions. So, perhaps 1-2mph total change before and after. The L13 was purchased and installed largely to combat cavitation issues. I could easily blow out the pump on hard turns when tubing, or on hard acceleration pulling boarders out of deep water starts. The boat was also very sensitive to load in terms of cavitation. The largest benefit, by far, was consistency of performance. It launches like a scared cat on carpet now with or without a load. Doesn't matter if it's 120deg in the shade with a full crew, or just me and the dog in 50deg weather, it launches the same, pulls the same, and tops out the same. I should say that I felt a similar value in sealing the intake tunnel with marine adhesive. I would highly recommend sealing the tunnel and testing before spending the cash on the L13. Here's where I sealed mine.

Checked this past Sunday afternoon. Decent conditions, got 42mph@7650rpm@537' above MSL. Same "small" stack as shown above, sealant hasn't been touched or examined this season, new plugs and fresh oil change. Myself, Wife, 2 kids, 50lb dog, and 3 coolers aboard as well as normal running gear. I might throw the large spacer back in before we head to the Gulf in 2 weeks, but otherwise I'm considering this to be running about as well as can be expected for the boat/engine combination.
Are you seeing 45mph on GPS/ridesteady or the Yamaha analog speedometer?