• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR190 Owners

31BVeteran

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hello!

So I previously posted about getting a 2019 212X, unfortunately, I’ve decided to dial it down a notch and get a 2019 AR190 as a first boat to get familiar with since I’ve never owned a jet boat in my life. Initially I was going to use my VA disability to pay for a 212X, but decided to be a little more responsible and start off small and work my way bigger in a few years. While I’ll use the boat for leisure as well as to learn, what have you enjoyed and hated about the new 190!?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Amazing boat, we loved ours.

We upgraded to a 212X after 2 years because my Fiancé got into surfing. When I priced out all of the upgrades we wanted to do to make it more surfable + all of the other things I knew I was going to want to do over the next 5 years (sound system, sea deck, rear remote, ballast, etc) we found that we were easily going to spend 3,000 last year, and probably another $1,000 - 2,000 on upgrades each year for a while..... the new boat was definitely more expensive than that (especially considering such an early trade cycle) but once we put the value received by spending the $$ on the 212X vs upgrading the AR190 we decided to take the jump.

All that said, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED our AR190 and there are even some days where I wish we had just stuck with it. The size was awesome, easy to handle, enough space for 90% of our use cases, great on fuel, more than fast and powerful enough, comfortable, fun, and affordable.

With that boat, I never felt like we didn’t t have enough boat and always had lots of fun, congrats on your choice, I’m confident you will totally love it!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 2017 AR190. It's an excellent entry level boat IMO. Plenty of space, tons of storage. We get about 42mph WFO with a light load. Most often we cruise around the 35mph range or so. Seems to be nice and comfy for everyone, and it's plenty fast enough for us. We've had as many as 8 adults on board, that's getting cozy with one another. Our typical load is 2 adults and 2-3 kids and it's fine for that. Even with 4 adults and 4 kids it's not really crowded. Still enough seats in comfy places for everyone. With 8 adults and 3 large coolers I was able to get on plane, and maintain about 36mph. I would consider that a very heavy load for this boat though, so I'm happy with that result. Tower makes tow sports easy, although the jet takes some light touches to get the speed stabilized once they're out of the water.

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We purchased a 2018 AR190 at the end of last season so I only had it out a handful of times. My family absolutely loves the boat. I boat at higher elevations so I had Yamaha put the high altitude impeller on it this winter. I haven't tested it out yet this year but think that will make a huge difference. We usually go with 2 adults and 2-3 kids and have more than enough room. I have been upgrading things this winter and can't wait to try everything out. It is easy to tow, easy to store, and easy to handle. Use the no wake mode when docking and putting the boat on and off the trailer and that will help you figure out the slow speed handling of the boat. If that doesn't work for you there are a couple of options to help the slow speed steering. I would highly recommend the AR190.

aicmichael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I am new to Yamaha boats but considering buying one in the next 2 months to bring to my little island overseas. Please provide pros and cons of owning this boat in an isolated overseas island where parts would have to be ordered from the USA or Dubai at a cost plus shipping and waiting time to get them each and every time.

What is the service interval and what is included in each service?
How reliable is a new 2020 or 2021 Yamaha SX190 in gulf salt water?
What spare or replacement parts should I buy and bring to my island with along with this new boat?
I am pretty technical and have performed all the required services on my 2005 Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E duo prop sterndrive up until now.

Any other user experience and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 19 SX190 and like it a lot. The new bigger 19 hull has decreased top speed a bit (1-3 mph). Most conditions you will struggle to hit 40 mph. Its also a pretty noisy boat. I love everything else about the boat. I love the roominess of the layout. Uses regular fuel, easy to tow and store, and easy to maintain and winterize. My boat hasn't been back to the dealer in 2 years.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you. Could you tell me about the service requirements....10 hrs, annual. What spare parts should I buy to bring with the boat?....
Oil, Oil filters, Spark Plugs, Grease, salt flush and sockets etc. Spare parts is a tough one. If there is debris in the water, I would consider taking impeller, wear ring, and tools. I personally don't expect to replace much for a few years. The big advantage of the jet boat is its simplicity. Buy the maintenance guide and ensure you have all the tools and supplies needed for the annual maintenance and probably removing the pump to clear out debris. Not sure if you need to store or winterize at your location.

aicmichael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oil, Oil filters, Spark Plugs, Grease, salt flush and sockets etc. Spare parts is a tough one. If there is debris in the water, I would consider taking impeller, wear ring, and tools. I personally don't expect to replace much for a few years. The big advantage of the jet boat is its simplicity. Buy the maintenance guide and ensure you have all the tools and supplies needed for the annual maintenance and probably removing the pump to clear out debris. Not sure if you need to store or winterize at your location.
Okay thanks. No winterization as it is warm here year round. Is the Maintenance Manual online in the form of pdf?!

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well if you want something uncomplicated and easy to work on then the AR190 is for you. One engine, no supercharger and not a lot of electronics. I also have a Formula with twin diesels and all the systems and challenges that come with a 43’ cruiser. It’s somewhat refreshing when it’s just me and my wife taking our little boat out for a few hours. The marina guys drop it in the water, gas it up and away we go! It’s a great boat boat and a lot of fun to operate. Yeah, a jet boat has some challenges at first getting accustomed to maneuvering it but all it takes is some concentrated practice sessions and you’ll nail it.

aicmichael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if you want something uncomplicated and easy to work on then the AR190 is for you. One engine, no supercharger and not a lot of electronics. I also have a Formula with twin diesels and all the systems and challenges that come with a 43’ cruiser. It’s somewhat refreshing when it’s just me and my wife taking our little boat out for a few hours. The marina guys drop it in the water, gas it up and away we go! It’s a great boat boat and a lot of fun to operate. Yeah, a jet boat has some challenges at first getting accustomed to maneuvering it but all it takes is some concentrated practice sessions and you’ll nail it.
Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. I'm told there is a wait list for the 190....

aicmichael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I have a hardcopy maintenance manual and internet where I work on the boat I didn't try downloading. There are only a few key pages so I would probably just do a screen capture. Not sure why they don't make it easy. Maybe someone else has found a better way.