• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR195 Question

Wes G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen many threads on trying to make a wake with several types of devices. They all seem to be doing one side or the other. Has anyone bought 2 wakemakers and put ballast on both sides of the back? I'm picking my boat up this weekend. I will have to do a break in period but was going to try and figure out best configuration and setup before March

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Over the last year a number of 19' owners have played around with different set ups. @jcyamaharider Makes a custom ballast bag that sits on the swim deck and puts the weight right where you need it. In addition the custom bag you will want an additional 200-300 lbs in the bow.

Wes G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks I will look into purchasing the ballasts but should I get 2 for the rear of the boat or just one big one for the center rear. Seems like having one side would cause you to counter steer distorting the jet stream one way or the other. Do you know the weight for the rear? It looked like there was a 1200 lb limit plus 400 in gear so it can't be that much.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash or @jcyamaharider Do either of you know the exact weight for the 19' custom ballast bags? I thought they were are around 475 lbs but I'm not 100% sure. Keep in mind the Yamaha's have a shallow haul and don't really benefit from a lot of extra ballast. I believe that @haknslash has a video with 1,800 lbs of ballast in a 19' compared to the 1 ballast bag on the swim deck and the swim deck bag produced a superior wave. You will only want one bag and drive in a slight circle for the best results. If you tried two bags on swim deck you wouldn't be able to get up to plan.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
400 to 450 I believe

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The 19' swim deck bag is designed to be 490 lbs at full capacity.

Yes when I had 1400 lbs or whatever it was on the rear seats and side bench it was nothing compared to just the swim deck bag. Getting a clean wave on the 19' requires a little list. I think it would also do some good to have some bow and mid ship weight in our boats with that bag. It would get more of the hull down in the water since our boats don't sit very low to begin with even if heavily ballasted by comparison of a wake boat. The trick is to balance it out so you don't overpower the pump with a ton of ballast towards just the rear as it creates a lot of cavitation if you're not careful. You can always benefit from more ballast but placment will be important to experiment with depending on your boat and how many people are on it. Of course with this balance also means the jet pump nozzle may not be as submerged or pointed downward as much which means more jet wash, even for a 19' as it can knock down the top lip of the wave and weaken its power.

Just 19' swim deck bag....

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Versus roughly ~1500 lbs of ballast positioned over the rear seats and bench. Just goes to show that ballast placement is so critical on these boats to making a big difference. This wave was nowhere near the size or cleanliness as the swim deck bag.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wish I had the budget to try one of these 19ft bags. I'm not sure anyone has put one on a non-supercharged model. Hull shape is the same, I'm just curious if I could actually get to 11mph with that weight on the back corner. Too many other things on the list before I get into another sport :D

Wes G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like Yamaha tweeked the hull to make it more wake efficient. I had 2 people weighing around 500lbs in different combos and the best wake produced was in the center. That may change as it was cold and neither of us wanted to fall off the back so we were in the seats leaning over. I will get the 19 ballast. Does anyone have a link or spec they used when ordering?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank You. It will be the next thing on my list to buy. I'll post some videos once we have it. Appreciate the help

Thanks I'm going to have to wait till March for more boat toys. We spent several thousand dollars more than I expected getting everything.
Welcome to boat ownership :D :D