• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR195 Water on spark plugs

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good afternoon,

Last year my AR195 engine left me stranded on the water several times. After leaving the boat in the water for 3 to 4 hours, water was getting on the spark plugs preventing it from starting. My fix was to remove the spark plugs, then crank the engine over until all of the water was out, then reinstall new plugs. Eventually it would start. The dealer had my boat for a couple of months last year for troubleshooting. They ended up replacing the block and cylinder head do to a cracked cylinder head. When I got the boat back it did the exact same thing would not start do to water on the spark plugs.

The boat is back at the dealership for further troubleshooting. Im assuming its a cracked head blown head gasket or cracked block. I am glad it is still under warranty. Sadly the boat only has 20 hours since it was replaced. the first motor had 32 hours on it.

Have any of you had similar issues with water intrusion on spark plugs from the boat sitting on the water? I truly like the boat but having to replace plugs to get it to start every-time i am on the water is extremely frustrating.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only time it's taken 2 or 3 tries to start is when I work it hard, shut it down immediately and don't let things cool before restarting (suspect fuel is boiling somewhere....).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you getting any water in the oil. ? if not you probably have water getting into your fuel tank or air cleaner because a cracked head would be putting it in the oil I have seen boats in general get water in their fuel tank via fuel vents. I also recall the intercoolers leaking water into the air intakes

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Wow..I’m getting somewhat nervous about my maiden voyage next week. A lot of posts on the forum about check engine lights, overheat warnings, fouled spark plugs, cracked heads
THESE ARE NEW BOATS! WTH YAMAHA!

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did have water in the oil both times. RobbieO have fun with the boat this weekend.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only time it's taken 2 or 3 tries to start is when I work it hard, shut it down immediately and don't let things cool before restarting (suspect fuel is boiling somewhere....).
I have the exact same boat as you. Same color. Im glad you are not having issues with yours. Truthfully, yesterday i went fishing. drove it at 4,000 rpm, ran the blower, let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it off. 2 to 3 hours later try to restart it and the plugs are saturated with water. It has happened to me several times with the first motor and a couple of times with my second motor. It is back at the dealer again for troubleshooting.

It is not fun having a new boat that is this unreliable.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you getting any water in the oil. ? if not you probably have water getting into your fuel tank or air cleaner because a cracked head would be putting it in the oil I have seen boats in general get water in their fuel tank via fuel vents. I also recall the intercoolers leaking water into the air intakes
the current motor did not have signs of water in the oil until yesterday. once i seen water i took it straight to the dealer. the boat does not have any issues starting on the hose or when we first put it in the water.

I think it has another cracked head. when it gets hot it allows water to enter the cylinder.

i think when it sits on the water for extended periods the crack allows water to seep in.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting I wonder if your exhaust system has some sort of obstruction in it like a broken baffle. this reminds me of a situation a few years back when someone had issues similar to yours and of course changing the engine did not solve the problem with that either, it took a while to find the issue with the muffler causing excessive back pressure and heating up the engine ..

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cobra Jet. That would make sense. The engine never over heated. It never got a warning light. I did shoot the top of the exhaust manifolds with a heatgun they all read between 106 to 111 degrees while running it on the hose. I have not noticed any issues with a blockage in the exhaust. it idles fine.

The last time it broke

I ran the boat around 8 mph to a fishing spot, i let it idle for a a couple of minutes and shut it off. 3 to 4 hours later i tried to start it and had water on the spark plugs. would not start. I pulled the plugs and cranked the motor. it shot water out of the #3 cylinder. the number three plug electrode was saturated with water.

I will keep you informed of what the repair is.

Thank you again for the ideas as to what it may be. do you know where the baffle is?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The baffles are inside the muffler. I have also seen exhaust manifolds have a leak in the gasket and let water in the cylinder, fortunately it is under warranty . I understand it is a pain in the butt to want to go out and the thing is broken I can tell you are like me in that sense however reliability is first and foremost. Hopefully the problem will be solved quickly.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealership is replacing the motor again. They said they found another bad cylinder head.

Any advise on what I should do when I get the boat back. This will be the boats 3rd engine.

The dealer swapped the intercooler and exhaust muffler the last time it was in there shop and the spark plugs were saturates with sea water again.

Rising68

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can the waterlock be leaking into the manifold causing mh issue.

I honestly thought it was a leaking intercooler.

There are only so man uh places for the water to come from

MarkO82

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can the waterlock be leaking into the manifold causing mh issue.

I honestly thought it was a leaking intercooler.

There are only so man uh places for the water to come from
I just started having a crank but no start problem this weekend after sitting for a couple hrs. I didn’t have tools or any idea to check the plugs for water, but came across this thread. I will be prepared to check for that next time I’m out. But, what ultimately was found to be the problem with your boat!?! I was finally able to get it to fire after tons of cranking, but I felt incredibly lucky I got to call off SeaTow.