• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR240 Cam Position Sensor check engine light

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After a short first ride of the year and sitting on the lake for about an hour, when starting for the second time I got a check engine light and warning to shut down the starboard engine and contact the dealer. The starboard engine went into limp mode and limited rpm to 3600. I shut down and cycled the batteries and keys several times, including disconnecting the battery cables. A couple times the warning cleared, but each time came back after starting the starboard motor. The service manual indicates a faulty cam position sensor is related to the displayed codes. I plan to check the appropriate connections and test the wiring voltage per the service manual. Honestly, I'm hoping it's a faulty sensor and just a part swap.

Has anyone seen and repaired this problem? Any thoughts or tips? Can other problems throw these codes? Will the codes clear when the wiring fault is corrected or faulty sensor is replaced? Is there any calibration required with a new sensor?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After a short first ride of the year and sitting on the lake for about an hour, when starting for the second time I got a check engine light and warning to shut down the starboard engine and contact the dealer. The starboard engine went into limp mode and limited rpm to 3600. I shut down and cycled the batteries and keys several times, including disconnecting the battery cables. A couple times the warning cleared, but each time came back after starting the starboard motor. The service manual indicates a faulty cam position sensor is related to the displayed codes. I plan to check the appropriate connections and test the wiring voltage per the service manual. Honestly, I'm hoping it's a faulty sensor and just a part swap.

Has anyone seen and repaired this problem? Any thoughts or tips? Can other problems throw these codes? Will the codes clear when the wiring fault is corrected or faulty sensor is replaced? Is there any calibration required with a new sensor?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorry, it's the port engine.

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, it's the port engine.
In case someone else finds themselves in this situation, it was an easy fix. I was able to get a new OEM part off ebay. The other sources I checked were on a 60 day back order...which would have been 1/3 of my boating season.

I simply removed the plastic engine cover to expose the cam position sensor on the top rear of the engine. From there the swap was straight forward and took a few minutes. After starting the motor the associated codes cleared, the motor was no longer in limp mode and ran perfectly.