• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Shorelandr Trailer UFP A-60 Coupler Disconnect Issues

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe my 2019 Shorelandr trailer has a UFP A-60 coupler on it or at least that same style coupler with the trailer brake setup and such. When hooking up to it, I typically don't have issues. Sometimes I have to bounce the back end of the truck slightly to get the coupler to line up and allow me to lock it down in place.

However...

Almost 100% of the time when I have to unhook, say parking the boat in dry storage after each outing, I can never get it to just release from the ball by popping the pin and latch and jacking the trailer up. It literally stays connected, bringing the rear of the truck up up with it (we're talking a few inches) and then I have to basically put the truck in reverse and lightly "bump" it loose then freeing it up. What am I missing? Is that OK/normal? I tried to find videos or instructions as I've never used this style of coupler before but no luck. I don't believe my trailer is 100% level, however, which may be the real issue. If anything, it's probably slightly down at the ball but we're talking 1/2" to 1" maybe, although I suppose I could try and measure it. But, that may be putting just enough force on the ball that it won't break loose after jacking the trailer up 4-6"+ inches. But even then, if I jacked the trailed to make it level, it's still seem to be caught in the groove of the coupler and bumping it backwards appears to push it just enough back to free it.

Any suggestions/tips/tricks? While "bumping" it has worked every time and it's a very light bump to set it free, I still feel like that puts unwanted stress on the trailer jack that's planted firmly on the ground.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What he said! ^^^^
No joke, grease the ball. I also keep using a lot of CRC656 on the coupler which helps to keep it operating a bit more smoothly.

Also, you can adjust the latching mechanism inside the coupler to loosen it up but I personally prefer it to be on the tight end of things, don't want to risk it slipping off.
What I find helpful, most of the time, is to put the truck in neutral briefly before locking it in park w/parking brake and unlocking the trailer. But if you are on any kind of a slope that's a different story, need to chock the trailer wheels first before neutral.

In any case, this is one of the main reasons I switched the trailer jack to the XO750! I just couldn;t trust the POS.

--

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is your ball end free of rust? Try some hitch lube on the ball.
I don't think its rusty per say, however, I know there's ZERO grease on it on the coupler so I'll add some and see what happens.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is your ball end free of rust? Try some hitch lube on the ball.
Well damn sure enough, we took the boat out this weekend and the first thing I looked at was the ball. It was rusty as all out. I honestly never paid any attention to it before. For the time being I threw some white bike chain spray can grease the dealer sold me to lube the other metal parts of the boat that would be exposed to salt water and first time unhooking it, the trailer came off no issues. But, that spray can lube may be good for lubing the rear strap ratchet pieces and parts of the steering components but its only good for 1 round of trailering probably for being too thin. I'll get some actual hitch ball grease and see how it fairs.

Thanks again, such a better experience unhitching the trailer now.