• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Yamaha ar242x questions

Travp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking at purchasing a 2019 yamaha ar242x. This will be the first boat I have ever owned. It will be used for chilling on the boat, tubes being towed, wakeboarding and surfing. No little kids will be on it. Boat is costing 70k, is there any other new boat comparable in price that will offer the same?

Thanks

Big T

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes there are. Wakeboading, surfing, tubing - that spells v-drive to me. Look at Moomba, Supreme, Axis, MB. $70K might be tough but you can get close. Keep in mind that a 24 foot Yamaha is about the same overall length as a 22 foot anything else, since Yamaha includes the swim platform in the length (it's integrated so that makes sense) where most other manufacturers don't. The use of space will be significantly different. With a v-drive you gain considerable towsports performance and give up some top speed. There are other puts/takes that are significant but in my opinion most of them favor the v-drive for the use case you summarized in your post. Caveat would be if you regularly boat in very shallow water, where jets have an obvious advantage (as long as the water doesn't have much in the way of surface vegetation or floating debris).

Travp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes there are. Wakeboading, surfing, tubing - that spells v-drive to me. Look at Moomba, Supreme, Axis, MB. $70K might be tough but you can get close. Keep in mind that a 24 foot Yamaha is about the same overall length as a 22 foot anything else, since Yamaha includes the swim platform in the length (it's integrated so that makes sense) where most other manufacturers don't. The use of space will be significantly different. With a v-drive you gain considerable towsports performance and give up some top speed. There are other puts/takes that are significant but in my opinion most of them favor the v-drive for the use case you summarized in your post. Caveat would be if you regularly boat in very shallow water, where jets have an obvious advantage (as long as the water doesn't have much in the way of surface vegetation or floating debris).
Thank You, will look in those boats, appreciate the reply and input as i am new to this.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before you get too far down the path on any one boat, I'd also strongly recommend getting an on-water demo of any you're interested in. That's standard procedure on wake boats for serious customers. I've heard less consistency regarding Yamaha dealers being willing to demo. Actually getting these boats out on the water tells you WAY more than you can gather by looking at them and sitting in them at the dealership or online.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I hate to do it but I am going to be " that " guy for a second. Keep in mind this is nothing personal and I do find value in what you say BUT remember YOU are on a jetboat forum. Not every post needs to have V-drive in it. I get it that you USED to own a Yamaha and you love this board but if the OP had a question about a tomcat then he would post it on that forum. We are not over there posting " Everything you say sounds like a Yamaha to me" Just because you switched to a v-drive doesn't mean everyone wants a v-drive. We are here to help current owners and people currently looking to own jetboats.

rant over.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To be fair, OP asked what other boats he should consider

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To be fair, OP asked what other boats he should consider
He did......but this is the straw that broke the camels back......let the jetboaters answer the question, we are all fair and we are quick to suggest different boats. It is almost every single thread. Like I said no ill will but I do get tired of seeing it come up ALL the time.

*Edit* Come to think of it, isn't that the typical V-drive owner comment. I want to do XYZ........V-DRIVE.....blah blah. Even when you see them on the water they act like they are much better then you are because they have an "ABC boat and I am awesome" complex. ( not all, and I am just venting frustration now towards stuck up inboard owners )

I guess I could blame it on cabin fever or not having my boat in my garage right now.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He did......but this is the straw that broke the camels back......let the jetboaters answer the question, we are all fair and we are quick to suggest different boats. It is almost every single thread. Like I said no ill will but I do get tired of seeing it come up ALL the time.

*Edit* Come to think of it, isn't that the typical V-drive owner comment. I want to do XYZ........V-DRIVE.....blah blah. Even when you see them on the water they act like they are much better then you are because they have an "ABC boat and I am awesome" complex. ( not all, and I am just venting frustration now towards stuck up inboard owners )

I guess I could blame it on cabin fever or not having my boat in my garage right now.
In all fairness, how many others on this forum can provide feedback on both a Yamaha and a V-drive boat? If I were going to spend over 75K on a boat it certainly would not be a Yamaha.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t see v drives coming up in every thread. I do see them mentioned where someone is asking for advice on the sport and if there are perhaps other boats to think about. I don’t think anyone is pushing an agenda and I would hope that I’m still welcome to post my honest opinions when I trade in my Yamaha this weekend. I think this is a great forum with a ton of knowledgeable people even those that no longer have Yamaha or jet bots still hang around to contribute and share thoughts, no matter how much it might not be jet-centric if OP is looking for honest opinions.

Yes cabin fever is in full effect for me as well. Let’s not let that stifle anyone’s opinions just because they have moved on to a different drivetrain and propulsion. I think having this kind of open community is what separates it from others. It would be a shame for it to be anything other than honest feedback or opinions. I think having people on here who have gone both directions is invaluable and an asset.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No worries. I get it. Cabin fever here too! My apologies.
This is why I hate to even say anything at all because you always have something positive to say because you have been on both sides and I enjoy reading your posts.

(Building house stress also in there)

Back top the OP question.

There are many brands of boats out there that will fit the bill for less money, and honestly if it is your first boat i wouldn't go new. I would find a great used boat with plenty of mods for far less.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Two suggestions.
First, see if there is a boat show close to you and make a visit.
Second, even though they are really advertisement vs reviews, check out the videos in Boattest.com

Its almost like asking someone to pick it your clothes for you. Everyone's tastes are different.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are applications where jet boat isn't a good fit,

Where are you located?
where will you primarily be boating?
When you say you want to surf are your talking about just as a passing hobby or as a serious endeavor?
Will you do your own maintenance?
Will you have plenty of additional money after the purchase for modifications and tubes and boards and....

Dont' buy anything without a test ride or don't complain about your $75k mistake,

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I guess having a jet boat forum is a thing of the past..... I guess we should call this generalboaters.net now.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In all fairness, how many others on this forum can provide feedback on both a Yamaha and a V-drive boat? If I were going to spend over 75K on a boat it certainly would not be a Yamaha.
I can.... I have surfed behind most major inboard boat manufactures out there and probably posted about it here.

This isn't fair to the OP.....I am starting my own thread.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plenty. If not most.
Many, if not most, members here owned a non-jet boat before a jet boat first.

And most of those who surf have done it first behind a “proper v-drive wake boat”!
(being facetious of course)

:)

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Looking at purchasing a 2019 yamaha ar242x. This will be the first boat I have ever owned. It will be used for chilling on the boat, tubes being towed, wakeboarding and surfing. No little kids will be on it. Boat is costing 70k, is there any other new boat comparable in price that will offer the same?

Thanks

Big T
Everyone has their opinion and mine would be to check out the Chaparral Vortex!!! I have the 2430 VRX...Amazing boats...High quality finish and ride amazing in the water. Closed loop cooling system on twin 250HP Rotax engines...I got mine brand new with less than 2 hours (2017 left over) for 67K OTD!!! Dealer is doing the first 2 services for no cost and many other things for me...I had a Yamaha but had issues with the engines as I ran in salt and brackish alot...I always rinsed the engines after going out and that did not keep one from failing...I love the closed loop cooling system. 6D93159B9864FD90918BA6F2F97707BD.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone has their opinion and mine would be to check out the Chaparral Vortex!!! I have the 2430 VRX...Amazing boats...High quality finish and ride amazing in the water. Closed loop cooling system on twin 250HP Rotax engines...I got mine brand new with less than 2 hours (2017 left over) for 67K OTD!!! Dealer is doing the first 2 services for no cost and many other things for me...I had a Yamaha but had issues with the engines as I ran in salt and brackish alot...I always rinsed the engines after going out and that did not keep one from failing...I love the closed loop cooling system. View attachment 89486
I think those big chaparrals are the best looking jet boats, and that color scheme is just outrageously cool!!!

Yamaha 1.8 engines have had the timing chain failures but that’s not related to salt. BRP drivetrains still have raw water cooled exhausts that are vulnerable. I think few here would pick a BRP jet boat over a Yamaha for reasons of better reliability, as the track record still favors Yamaha. At least for now.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Everyone has their opinion and mine would be to check out the Chaparral Vortex!!! I have the 2430 VRX...Amazing boats...High quality finish and ride amazing in the water. Closed loop cooling system on twin 250HP Rotax engines...I got mine brand new with less than 2 hours (2017 left over) for 67K OTD!!! Dealer is doing the first 2 services for no cost and many other things for me...I had a Yamaha but had issues with the engines as I ran in salt and brackish alot...I always rinsed the engines after going out and that did not keep one from failing...I love the closed loop cooling system. View attachment 89486
That's a good looking boat!