• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR190 Bad ECM? Reprogramming?

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have spent 4 days with my Dad who is a recently retired master mechanic for GM, Volvo and Jaguar with 50 years experience trying to find the issues with my 2020 AR190. It seems to be the ECM is bad. All the safety switches are good, grounds are good, when we jump the ground pin ten everything activates except the ECM. All relays, fuses and grounds are good.

I have not been able to get a straight answer anywhere about the ECM and does it need to be re programmed or is it plug and play?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Whats wrong with the boat?

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry if I wasn’t very descriptive, the ECM isn’t firing spark or injectors when told, see above everything checked. The boat will not start.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Gotcha - no idea on ECM. A few guys have swapped them out here. Maybe search and find them, or call and ask local dealer?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have you owned the boat since new ??

we've only seen a few ECM replacements and it shows itself as keeping an injector open dumping fuel,

most have sent them off to be redone and when they get it back it's plug in and go,

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have owned it since 10 months old with 37hrs on it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When and how did this issue start?

Has the ECM been replaced or modified? Was the engine swapped?

Have you discussed this with a Yamaha dealer? An ECM failure would not be expected in such a new boat.

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
None of this, the boat is stock, it had a rough start a few times then all of sudden it wouldn’t start anything. It’s going in for diagnostic tomorrow, I did everything I could without having access to YDS.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A friend of mine is a a certified Yamaha tech, he said to have him test the pulser coil located within the generator assembly. I have had a few that the coil opened up causing a crank no start.

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A friend of mine is a a certified Yamaha tech, he said to have him test the pulser coil located within the generator assembly. I have had a few that the coil opened up causing a crank no start.
Thank you

slow84ta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what the mechanic had to say:

I’ve gotten it narrowed down to a few things that it can be; crank sensor, camshaft position sensor, faulty harness or either ecm. I have a 5v reference at the injectors and at the coils, but they aren’t being pulsed. I’m not 100% positive but I think they are pulsed by the camshaft sensor. But I haven’t changed it out because I can’t get a signal from the ecm either. When I hook up the YDIS it won’t even power up, so I don’t know whether it’s getting a signal from the computer or if there isn’t any power to the ecm. It’s been a head scratcher for sure!

I really think that it is the ecm. I just don’t like to throw parts at a customer’s boat without knowing for sure what it is first, but this one is being tough to figure out.”

Is it possible a bad crank or cam sensor cuts off power to the ECM? This is not normal in cars…..

Last edited: