• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR240 good buy or not?

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

New to the form and wanted to reach out to get some of your opinions on a boat I may possibly purchase. 2020 AR240 with 35 hours of use on it for $66,000. Boat is in good shape minus normal wear and tear consisting of some minor scratches on the hull. Upgraded kicker speakers throughout with added tower speakers and a 10" sub under the starboard rear passenger seat. The boat comes with a transferable 10 year extended warranty bought through a third party company at the dealer. Would I be overpaying for the boat at this price? Am I better off waiting until next year when the market may possibly calm down, or am I just better off ordering a new boat? I just don't want to overpay for a boat and be kicking myself in the you know what if the market comes way down in the next year or so. Anyways thanks in advance and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Feels high. If you can hang on, wait til next year. You should be able to get one brand new for less than 60k.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A new 2022 ar250 will sticker around 65k at least. A 2021 which is impossible to get now is stickered at 61k
So with the current market, 66 is a little high but close to what it will go for

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@Ismael Breton. Yeah that's kind of what I was leaning towards. Just on the fence. We have been wanting/saving to get a boat for quite some time now and now that we are ready turns out the market is at its worst. Lol. I'm thinking maybe just to put a down payment on a 2022. Thanks for the feedback.

@Neutron. Thanks for the price breakdown/information. Do you know if the 2022's are going to have any changes to them? I searched and cant seem to find any info. I'm not to into the 2021 color schemes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Grim1800 New model info usually isn't out to early mid August give or take so nothing really on rumors. Delivery may be the challenge and when is are only guestimates. What I would do, if you are ready to purchase, is to put a deposit now on a 2022 and get in line, which the lists at dealers are growing. Make sure your deposit is fully refundable if you decide to back out. I would then keep trolling around the use market as the summer and fall progresses to see if a good deal pops up, which you could consider. This way you are working both ends of the market at your convenience.

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors That is definitely my best option. I just need to find a dealer who will agree to a fully refundable deposit in case i find a good deal on the used market. I knew I would get some good feedback posting here. Thank you.

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make an offer you are comfortable with now and if the seller takes it….don’t look back at prices and “kick yourself”, just enjoy the boat. Life is too short.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Grim1800 - @HangOutdoors gives the best advice.

If you would wait until the end of August you will have an good idea of what new models are being released etc.
At those prices I would be personally looking at new. The AR240 is great value, budget purchase, even new. Especially inland, YJBs seem to hold their value pretty well relative to other brands.

BTW - I'm curious about that comprehensive 10 year warranty on a Yamaha jet boat.
The factory coverage is for one year, and after that there is optional YES from Yamaha for 2-3 extra years. Anything else, I would be curious to know what it is...
I'm sure there is someone who can sell a transferable warranty for just about anything, but I would double check with a Yamaha jet boat dealer exactly what's covered with the one at seller's hand.

--

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t think I have ever heard of a 10 year warranty on any kind of vehicle. Other than the “powertrain” on a couple of car models

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@swatski @Nightmare I was told that the warranty was sold through a third party vendor who worked with the dealer ( Bert’s Mega Mall in Covina California) I did not get the details and to be honest was kinda suspicious of it due to the fact that I too had never heard of any such type of warranty. It’s actually what made me consider the price of the boat to be somewhat reasonable. I will inquire more about the details of the warranty tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Price is high but if it's a legit 10 year bumper to bumper... well maybe not lol.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would really like to understand more about the 10 year warranty and how much it costs / was part of the price and the name of the warranty provider / underwriter.

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I am waiting on a response from the seller. As soon a they get back to me I will post the information they provide.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10 Year Limited Transferable Structural Warranty, from the brochure
Basically, hull warranty - covering for structural damage due to production defects?

I would make sense with cored hulls, not Yamaha FRP shell - it's a great hull, unless you hit something, lol.
--

Grim1800

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Update: The extended warranty is through a company called AEGIS Powersports. No fee to transfer and still waiting to hear back from seller how much it costed and what exactly it covers.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: The extended warranty is through a company called AEGIS Powersports. No fee to transfer and still waiting to hear back from seller how much it costed and what exactly it covers.
I have run into AEGIS Warranties before, they are garbage and try to squirm out of everything with all their disclaimers. Perhaps others have had better experiences.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have run into AEGIS Warranties before, they are garbage and try to squirm out of everything with all their disclaimers. Perhaps others have had better experiences.
That makes sense. I mean, that warranty sounded like total bs.

--