• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252SE Yamaha Cover vs. Custom Cover

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a snap on custom canvas (2-piece) made for my 252S...Love it! It was $2500. Removed, stored, and reinstalled last weekend for first time and it was a breeze! Go with custom...$900 is a STEAL! And from what I hear, the Yamaha covers are not worth it, and a real pain to put on if you're wetslipping or putting on a lift.
agree…
Get the custom! Snap on cover is awesome!

usmc6175

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we ordered our 252SE back in August we also ordered and paid for ($1,200) a 2 piece snap on cover because we plan on wet slipping. The boat was delivered in September and the dealer has been storing it for the long Ohio winter. Since there is no forecasted delivery of the Yamaha cover I have an appointment to have a custom cover made at a local Amish shop at the end of June. It would be a 2 piece snap on cover made of Sunbrella, cost $600 and take a week to make.

We have a plan for the Admiral to make a temporary one piece cover to use until we are able to get either the Yamaha cover or the custom cover. It will be cumbersome to use but functional.

So I'm looking for input on what to do ... wait for the Yamaha cover to appear some day and cancel my appointment for a custom cover, or cancel the Yamaha cover and go with the custom cover? This tarp shop has a first class reputation in our area and has a waiting list of about 4 months. This is our first Yamaha so I'm not sure about the quality of a Yamaha cover as compared to a custom Sunbrella cover.

Thanks in advance for any input!!
I am in SE Ohio and just got a quote for a bow and cockpit cover from a company in Aurora for $1,800. DO you mind sharing the contact info for the place you went?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
1800 is not a bad price IF the shop does really nice premium work. if you haven't seen really good canvas work to know the difference then you need to shop around a bit and do some research so you know what your paying for. 1800 could be reasonable or it could be steep.

usmc6175

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mrcleanr6 No doubt! However, I was hoping to get the price for someone using Sunbrella. That price was for Aqualon Edge for which I have never actually seen nor do I know anyone that has it. That makes me nervous because I have no clue how it will hold up.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
@mrcleanr6 No doubt! However, I was hoping to get the price for someone using Sunbrella. That price was for Aqualon Edge for which I have never actually seen nor do I know anyone that has it. That makes me nervous because I have no clue how it will hold up.
I believe I paid about $2400 for snap-in bow & cockpit Sunbrella covers. It looks nice and fits very well...it's easy to put on and take off.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
yes i am not familiar with that product either. sunbrella is almost an industry standard. not that the aqualon isnt any good but your right, without any feedback you have no idea. keep in mind its not just the sunbrella you need to ask for. they should be using tenera thread. its teflon i believe and uv resistant. be sure the person is reinforcing the snap edge with a product that does not shrink. if it shrinks then over time each snap will be progressively tighter and tighter to get on. after 5 years you could end up with a cover that you cant get on. a good shop will also sew in something soft like evolution car cover material everywhere it contacts your boat and vinyl. lastly when the cover is installed there should not be a wrinkle in it anywhere. should be tight like a drum

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
there are some good pictures in this thread of my cover just after i picked it up from the canvas shop last winter. the grey material is the evolution material. the black edge reinforcement is like a heavy dump truck tarp material. its totally non shrinking. i have seen alot of canvas guys around here use the clear vinyl that they use for the windows, etc. that stuff is a no no and shrinks bad. so does the nylon strapping material which is used often as well. look out for those when shopping.