• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 ar190 feels sluggish

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it's not a 195 but the perfomance is a little less than I expected. I followed the break In procedure and have 2 hours on the boat. Should I get a little more out of her after a few more hours? I know sea doos pcms dont fully unlock until the 10 hour mark. With my wife and 2 kids. A 5 year old and 8 year old I hit 36mph on flat water and that was tops.
I also scuffed the rub rail on both sides of the boat coming on the trailer and smoking the trailer guides. Any tricks to cleaning the rubber up a bit? I was coming in under power and straight. Right before the trailer I threw it in neutral and that's when the bow began turning and hit the guide. Next time I'll keep the power on and come in hot. The bunks and bow roller should stop me. Its definitely a learning process. Totally happy with the boat otherwise. Beautiful day today. Who else is boating in January???

I don't think you'll get much more performance unless you fill up with 98 octane which I notice a significant difference over 91 or remove some excess weight. As for docking I rarely use neutral as it tents to spin the boat of and do funky things. What I prefer to do is leave it 'in gear' just above or below neutral for forward and reverse. This speed is controllable and with occasional hits of revers (only putting it into revers or extra revs) works nicely. As for the trailer aim for the middle with the centre line of the boat and let the front bump the trailer and align itself then give it a good belt to get it up the trailer.

No need to come in bit on the trailer but it is recommended you come in in forward so that you have thrust. No thrust means no steering on these boats. Use No Wake Mode and TDE in first setting to keep the bow in check as you approach.

As for too speed I’m not sure but I’d check making sure throttle cable is fully adjusted at the APS. What is your elevation or location? If anyone was in the bow it will also scrub several mph off the top speed.

36mph isn't terrible for a 190. I boat near sea level and with my wife and I, and a 2yr old and an 8yr old, we hit around 39-41mph depending on conditions. A head wind with the bimini up with scrub a mph or two, as will putting people in the bow. I've hit as high as 45mph on mine, but that was with just myself and a small cooler, on a COOOL spring morning, and the bimini removed from the tower, and the center windshield closed. 36mph is a little low, but you're not far off the mark depending on elevation. These boats just don't win drag races in general. They're also sensitive to loading, weather, and water conditions.

The top speed is extremely sensitive to bow weight. Last summer I had 4 guys in the cockpit and the largest Yeti cooler I've ever seen on the swim platform. Our little 190 did exceptionally well with that, and I hit 42mph. On the way back I ditched the guys and the cooler, and had two women in the bow. Easily dropped 400lbs of weight, but was only able to muster 39mph. Because you can't trim the thrust on these boats, there is no way to get the bow back out of the water and pick that speed back up. I think @SamCF added the trim system to his 192 from a waverunner. Here is that thread if you have some time to read. He was pursuing top speed runs and had some interesting results from that installation. It's been on my "mod list" for awhile, but keeps getting bumped down the list.

Two other things to consider. The Lucky 13 pump cone, and sealing the intake tunnel from underneath. While these two items didn't give me ANY additional top speed, they made the boat MUCH MUCH more consistent. I'll get that same 40-ish mph top speed regardless of load now, and it launches like a scared cat on carpet. The tunnel sealing is the easiest, and lest expensive. Here's where I sealed mine. These two mods will reduce cavitation to nearly zero. Think of cavitation like spinning tires in wet grass in your truck, you get some forward movement, but it's mostly noise and revs. Get some "traction" with the water, and you'll see better results.

I'm unsure how the '21 models are, however I also got a bump in consistency from removing the spark arrestor (ribbon) from the intake tract. Took all of about 20 minutes to do on my boat, and was worth the effort. Again, no real huge gains in mph on the top end, however the consistency increase has been noticeable.

In the end, these 190's just don't produce exceptional speed. With the L13 cone, Pump Seal, and Ribbon Delete my consistency is exceptional. The boat will plane with the heaviest of loads, and still has enough thrust to pull a skier up from a deep water start. It pulls tubes, boarders, and cruises really well and sips fuel while doing it. It's a great little boat......so long as you aren't trying to win drag races. If you want a rocket ship of a jet boat the 212S (or 212X) with dual N/A 1.8's is the fastest in the lineup (or find an older 212SS without a tower). Those will run in the mid-low 50's right off the factory floor :D

Same here with 2021 SX190, about 30h on the clock now. Throttle cable adjusted to hit the stop and 36-37 mph tops with two aboard in the cockpit, full tank of gas - regular or premium seems not to matter, smooth water/little wind. Sea level and that's taching around 7350 WOT. I expected it'd tach 7500 and doesn't.

It accelerates instantly and hard so I don't suspect any cavitation. No mods and each adult in the bow does drop that top speed by a couple mph.

Coming from a SeaDoo Sportster I'm now used to the different reverse behavior but not yet the total loss of directional control in neutral. Clicking back and forth between fwd/rev TDE with a notch or two of no wake mode - using that to control speed and as needed if a little windy is my docking and trailering recipe.

Thrust vectors also help though not as much as I'd hoped. They do keep the boat tracking straight when in a minimum wake area and passing larger boats' wakes would slide out the back end. In reverse I think they make the boat do strange things with the wheel at either stop. Half to the left or right only in reverse...

Sea level and that's taching around 7350 WOT. I expected it'd tach 7500 and doesn't.

I too would expect a few more revs. I think I'm up around 7650 or so at WOT. Not sure how to get you any more revs though aside from letting the engine breathe a little better.

No need to come in bit on the trailer but it is recommended you come in in forward so that you have thrust. No thrust means no steering on these boats. Use No Wake Mode and TDE in first setting to keep the bow in check as you approach.

As for too speed I’m not sure but I’d check making sure throttle cable is fully adjusted at the APS. What is your elevation or location? If anyone was in the bow it will also scrub several mph off the top speed.
About 1200 feet. No body in bow. Thanks for the info

36mph isn't terrible for a 190. I boat near sea level and with my wife and I, and a 2yr old and an 8yr old, we hit around 39-41mph depending on conditions. A head wind with the bimini up with scrub a mph or two, as will putting people in the bow. I've hit as high as 45mph on mine, but that was with just myself and a small cooler, on a COOOL spring morning, and the bimini removed from the tower, and the center windshield closed. 36mph is a little low, but you're not far off the mark depending on elevation. These boats just don't win drag races in general. They're also sensitive to loading, weather, and water conditions.

The top speed is extremely sensitive to bow weight. Last summer I had 4 guys in the cockpit and the largest Yeti cooler I've ever seen on the swim platform. Our little 190 did exceptionally well with that, and I hit 42mph. On the way back I ditched the guys and the cooler, and had two women in the bow. Easily dropped 400lbs of weight, but was only able to muster 39mph. Because you can't trim the thrust on these boats, there is no way to get the bow back out of the water and pick that speed back up. I think @SamCF added the trim system to his 192 from a waverunner. Here is that thread if you have some time to read. He was pursuing top speed runs and had some interesting results from that installation. It's been on my "mod list" for awhile, but keeps getting bumped down the list.

Two other things to consider. The Lucky 13 pump cone, and sealing the intake tunnel from underneath. While these two items didn't give me ANY additional top speed, they made the boat MUCH MUCH more consistent. I'll get that same 40-ish mph top speed regardless of load now, and it launches like a scared cat on carpet. The tunnel sealing is the easiest, and lest expensive. Here's where I sealed mine. These two mods will reduce cavitation to nearly zero. Think of cavitation like spinning tires in wet grass in your truck, you get some forward movement, but it's mostly noise and revs. Get some "traction" with the water, and you'll see better results.

I'm unsure how the '21 models are, however I also got a bump in consistency from removing the spark arrestor (ribbon) from the intake tract. Took all of about 20 minutes to do on my boat, and was worth the effort. Again, no real huge gains in mph on the top end, however the consistency increase has been noticeable.

In the end, these 190's just don't produce exceptional speed. With the L13 cone, Pump Seal, and Ribbon Delete my consistency is exceptional. The boat will plane with the heaviest of loads, and still has enough thrust to pull a skier up from a deep water start. It pulls tubes, boarders, and cruises really well and sips fuel while doing it. It's a great little boat......so long as you aren't trying to win drag races. If you want a rocket ship of a jet boat the 212S (or 212X) with dual N/A 1.8's is the fastest in the lineup (or find an older 212SS without a tower). Those will run in the mid-low 50's right off the factory floor :D
Thanks for all the great info. Temp was around 65 degrees outside no wind calm water nobody in the bow. I'd be happy with a max speed of 40. Maybe the engine just needs more break in time. What kind of top rpms should I be seeing? I think 7300-7400 was my top.

Same here with 2021 SX190, about 30h on the clock now. Throttle cable adjusted to hit the stop and 36-37 mph tops with two aboard in the cockpit, full tank of gas - regular or premium seems not to matter, smooth water/little wind. Sea level and that's taching around 7350 WOT. I expected it'd tach 7500 and doesn't.

It accelerates instantly and hard so I don't suspect any cavitation. No mods and each adult in the bow does drop that top speed by a couple mph.

Coming from a SeaDoo Sportster I'm now used to the different reverse behavior but not yet the total loss of directional control in neutral. Clicking back and forth between fwd/rev TDE with a notch or two of no wake mode - using that to control speed and as needed if a little windy is my docking and trailering recipe.

Thrust vectors also help though not as much as I'd hoped. They do keep the boat tracking straight when in a minimum wake area and passing larger boats' wakes would slide out the back end. In reverse I think they make the boat do strange things with the wheel at either stop. Half to the left or right only in reverse...
Thanks great info! I would be happy with 40mph. Maybe I just need more break in on it. You bring up a good point the tank was full that's a good 200 pounds. I saw 7300-7400 rpms.

Thanks for all the great info. Temp was around 65 degrees outside no wind calm water nobody in the bow. I'd be happy with a max speed of 40. Maybe the engine just needs more break in time. What kind of top rpms should I be seeing? I think 7300-7400 was my top.

May want to check the spark plugs, at the very least at the 10 hour maintenance. Our engines are very sensitive to plugs. When I did my maintenance at 10 hours, I had a couple with the gaps off significantly. Also they are VERY sensitive to oil level. I keep mine, warm, halfway between low and mid. Anything more and you will lose RPM's typically. Check your oil, no telling how it left the dealer. Finally the throttle stops.

36 is about right. You may flirt with 38 to 39 with the boat loaded right and flat water. The 190 isn’t about being the fastest 19 footer on the water. Simplicity; no supercharger, one engine to maintain and a bit quieter. Enjoy your boat!

When the Kid on the SUP board passes you, you know you have some speed issues:)

Are the newer boats heavier?

I was hitting 39 on GPS yesterday @ 1100' with 4 adults (about 600 lbs total) and all my gear/stereo/dual bat.

@Tobes Do you recall the RPM's?

7600 maybe slightly higher. 7650.

I know the TR-1's should be able to hit 8000, just not sure if they ever do or how to get it there.

Back