• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 AR250 vs 252S

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on the wait list for a 25 footer at my local dealer. I am looking at either the AR250 or the 252S. I have used the comparison tool and I know the 252 has better upholstery, the sea dek flooring, an extra speaker, the different bimini, the fresh water shower, yamaha i drive and a few other thing but I find myself questioning the 20k price difference?

Am I missing something?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sliding rear seats, swim seats i believe, betting led lighting.
I would definitely go 252s over the ar250
If you can look at them both in person you will see many differences

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I just bought the 252S today. The different Bimini and and what I believe you are referring to as the i-drive or DRiVE is the actually on the 252SD (DRiVE)) which has electronic throttle control (not wire) and hydraulic steering vs traditional mechanical.

You mentioned most of the differences otherwise of the 250 vs 252S. I would only add, the 252S has a table and storage cubby behind the captains seat, more cushions on the rear transom area, larger Connext touch screen (12.3” vs 7”), comes with removed rear transom table and in water seat, nicer aluminum grab handles on the rear, dock lights, and certainly the available boat color differences.

For the ~$14.5k more I felt it was worth it…probably just made that list to re-justify to myself :). I really wanted the gray interior and don’t care for the baby blue on the 240 either.

I didn’t go with the 252SD because I don’t like the tower looks when the Bimini isn’t used and didn’t think the $9k adder was justified with the steering and throttle upgrades. Seems like the JetBoatPilot products help with steering a lot for $1k if needed.

Hope this helps!

***edited out my errors; changed 252SE to 252SD***

Last edited:

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Added some pictures for a better visual of the 252S…Yamaha’s marketing could get back to basics a bit I think.

I was in the clean out ports so I had removed the seat bottom cushions out back so those aren’t shown (last pic)9881C3FB-01AB-40C3-99B3-E540E7B00291.jpeg4480C278-0026-41AC-A427-D2170C428D97.jpeg423F315F-0CB0-4CFC-A00A-98B7C527C9AF.jpeg9D1AB3B7-3FE5-448F-BA11-41B70FDA9BB8.jpeg9941AE11-0916-4433-B6A2-E54B2DFBC752.jpeg2C309487-B859-4C7E-86F5-6C7BA3FAD44F.jpegFA697A04-3020-4171-B7E4-A9724832331C.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on the wait list for a 25 footer at my local dealer. I am looking at either the AR250 or the 252S. I have used the comparison tool and I know the 252 has better upholstery, the sea dek flooring, an extra speaker, the different bimini, the fresh water shower, yamaha i drive and a few other thing but I find myself questioning the 20k price difference?

Am I missing something?
I must admit I have not followed all the new developments, just hopping around various yammies, an old habit, at various recent boats shows (NYC, NJ, AC) - to me there is a pretty substantial difference between basic 250s and the upscale 252 models, with the nicest 252s (whatever the letters are) being very impressive to me.
the standard 250 is just so plain
1647570486044.jpeg

We got a AR240 in 2016, at the time I did not feel like I needed all the upgrades; also their fly-by-wire design was brand new - released that year for the first time (and it was not the system they have used in outboards for many years) so I didn't want to take chances on totally untested electronic package.

The big towers scared me and I felt those would be a liability on trips in rougher water like Bimini crossings... Boy, was I wrong about the towers, lol.

Those large towers with large biminis turned out to be outstanding value. I considered an upgrade a couple of years ago but it would had been about 15k plus the install, so that did not make too much sense.

The e-throttles also turned out to be great, albeit I'm very happy with mine after I added RideSteady - my mechanical throttles - best of both worlds, R-S is the best cruise control for water sports, and provide electronic engine synch and smooth as silk operation with a knob.

If I was in the market right now, I wouldn't even look at the AR250s; if I had to get one, RideSTeady would be the first mod; I think the upgrades in the top-level 252s are very substantial, especially the tower and e-throttles, also sliding aft seats etc. it feels like a different boat frankly.

I don;t understand the pricing structure/logic they use very well, and some of it especially in the "wake" segment models makes no sense to me, but I did not spent too much time trying to understand it, or to spec it, either.

All I know, the high end 252s have so much appeal to me, I was actually considering an upgrade this year...
well, that consideration lasted very very briefly; the moment my wife noticed what was going through my brain at one of those boat shows, our eyes met, and... We are keeping our 2016 AR240, lol.

THe 252s are like eye candy
1647571208351.jpeg
1647571231205.jpeg

And this X is pretty hot, too
1647571257646.jpeg

-

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m happy with my AR250. The seadeck flooring I’m putting in anyway, even if I had a 252S I’d replace the sound system anyway, the rear sliding seats on the 252 are too small for me but would’ve been nice. Too me it wasn’t worth the price to others it is. I’ll make the 250 my own with my own mods and use the extra money I save on a new vehicle.

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Last year, I was planning on going with the AR250. As a first time boat owner that was more than enough boat for me. My wife and I were looking at the AR and a new 252S was right next to the AR. My wife walked on the 252S and that was it. She liked the cushions, shower, and larger screen and who was I to argue...
We purchased the 252S and have been very happy with it.

socalyamahafanar250

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 2020 ar250. Tons of boat for the money. Small $200 Yeti cooler fits perfectly behind the driver. We didn't have any option to get a 252S when we bought it but I don't have any regrets. We were in the market for a 21' and are so happy we upgraded.

Paul Kalamary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Am I missing something?
Well that's the price of plug and play toys. I rather go with the AR 250 and get the aftermarket options. I seadecked my AR 250 for $ 1200.00 at the dealer. Im sure you can "Build the Bear" the way you really want, and of course for less than 20K

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had the 252SE for two months now and am so happy with the decision! It came available shortly after I made this original thread, we checked it out and fell in love. So far loving everything about!

Paul Kalamary

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had the 252SE for two months now and am so happy with the decision! It came available shortly after I made this original thread, we checked it out and fell in love. So far loving everything about!
Enjoy my friend.......

VOUSIM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We love our 2020 ar250. Tons of boat for the money. Small $200 Yeti cooler fits perfectly behind the driver. We didn't have any option to get a 252S when we bought it but I don't have any regrets. We were in the market for a 21' and are so happy we upgraded.
Which yeti cooler did you buy I’ve been looking but haven’t made up my mind yet

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which yeti cooler did you buy I’ve been looking but haven’t made up my mind yet
We have the Yeti Tundra Haul. The wheels are nice for transport. It fits behind the Captain’s chair and is accessible with the lid opening to the rear seating area of the boat.
Yeti Tundra Haul

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was in the same boat. Came to get AR250 ended up with 252SE.
AR250 is great boat, but I thought by the time I start adding sea deck, upgrading audio, and upgrading rest of upholstery with more cushions and underwater seating I will spend more time doing all this vs enjoying the boat.
I like the 12 inch display on 252SE though feels like navigation part could be better, and I like drive by wire for sure.
Could've saved some cash but I thought it was worth it.
Either one would be a great boat.

@sastocky Do you have a pic of how Tundra Haul cooler fits on the boat?

Last edited:

VOUSIM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have the Yeti Tundra Haul. The wheels are nice for transport. It fits behind the Captain’s chair and is accessible with the lid opening to the rear seating area of the boat.
Yeti Tundra Haul
Thank you @sastocky and if you have a picture of it in there like @zpaul said that would be awesome

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same boat. Came to get AR250 ended up with 252SE.
AR250 is great boat, but I thought by the time I start adding sea deck, upgrading audio, and upgrading rest of upholstery with more cushions and underwater seating I will spend more time doing all this vs enjoying the boat.
I like the 12 inch display on 250SE though feels like navigation part could be better, and I like drive by wire for sure.
Could've saved some cash but I thought it was worth it.
Either one would be a great boat.

@sastocky Do you have a pic of how Tundra Haul cooler fits on the boat?
it will look even better when I add SeaDek and matching cooler top.

I just bought my boat so I have only had it out once. All pros no cons. I won this cooler in a raffle so I already had it. I wave very glad that it fit.

It did not shift during heavy maneuvers and will not need tied down.

Attachments

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252SE has some additional storage and foldable table behind seat so I am limited to yeti 45 or similar height. I got RTIC 20 quart cooler holds ice whole day but limited in space inside. But fits very well behind the chair.

Ksantora

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
We are taking delivery on a 252SD this Saturday and definitely need to replace the cooler that comes with it. Do you have a pic of the yeti tundra 45 under the seat? I don’t have the dimensions on the space available yet