• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 FSH 190 1.8L Engine Performance Sources

CraigT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does anybody have a source for the "Ribbon Delete" kit for the 1.8? Also, once you've taken that out, you need a flame arrestor type filter installed. I was thinking of a K&N type reusable filter. Anybody know of a cold air kit that fits the 190? Also wondering if a throttle body spacer would be available, or even doable on this engine.
When I first got the boat, it would hit 41 MPH, after running it for 20 hours or so, I had a day where it only made it to 36 MPH, but usually it will hit 38 MPH now.
What else have you done to maximize your performance on the FSH 190?

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Usually performance drops end up being overfilled oil. It backs up through the crankcase ventilation system and clogs the air filter. Even just over filling the oil without clogging the air filter on these boats will cause a large decrease in performance. Filling to the second hole on the dipstick seems to foul plugs and cause the performance drop. Get the oil level between the 1st and 2nd full marks, and change the plugs, and you should see the performance go back to normal.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Does anybody have a source for the "Ribbon Delete" kit for the 1.8? Also, once you've taken that out, you need a flame arrestor type filter installed. I was thinking of a K&N type reusable filter. Anybody know of a cold air kit that fits the 190? Also wondering if a throttle body spacer would be available, or even doable on this engine.
When I first got the boat, it would hit 41 MPH, after running it for 20 hours or so, I had a day where it only made it to 36 MPH, but usually it will hit 38 MPH now.
Check to make sure your intake tunnel is properly sealed. Any weight in the front of the boat will also noticeably decrease top end. The ribbon on the newer boats has to be cut out, unlike the older boats where it was simply removed. I have also heard that the ribbon delete does not help any on the newer boats. It is also common for boats to be faster when you first buy them, but they tend to slow down when you add gear, audio equipment, coolers, people, and a full tank of gas.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What was the temp outside when you hit 41 and when you hit 36. Cooler temps and low humidity will produce better performance.
Fuel and weight load, wind, current, etc.. will affect speed

CraigT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What was the temp outside when you hit 41 and when you hit 36. Cooler temps and low humidity will produce better performance.
Fuel and weight load, wind, current, etc.. will affect speed
After I had broke in the motor and could fully wind it up, we could do 41MPH. So it was in September, temps were in the 70's humidity was low. Engine had just had it's 10 hour service. Later on in November, temps in the 50's, is when I really noticed the speed being down.

CraigT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Usually performance drops end up being overfilled oil. It backs up through the crankcase ventilation system and clogs the air filter. Even just over filling the oil without clogging the air filter on these boats will cause a large decrease in performance. Filling to the second hole on the dipstick seems to foul plugs and cause the performance drop. Get the oil level between the 1st and 2nd full marks, and change the plugs, and you should see the performance go back to normal.
I don't think that was it, but I'll have to inspect it a little closer in the Spring. It has since been winterized and serviced, so we'll be starting over as far as oil level goes.

CraigT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check to make sure your intake tunnel is properly sealed. Any weight in the front of the boat will also noticeably decrease top end. The ribbon on the newer boats has to be cut out, unlike the older boats where it was simply removed. I have also heard that the ribbon delete does not help any on the newer boats. It is also common for boats to be faster when you first buy them, but they tend to slow down when you add gear, audio equipment, coolers, people, and a full tank of gas.
Good explanation. I'll start over in the Spring and see where we stand. Meanwhile, I'll take a look at the intake and see how it's put together this Winter, from the warmth of the garage. I've had good luck adding performance to my vehicles by creating better air flow, to include a throttle body spacer. I've seen some generic type cold air intake setups that may possibly work. If I go that route, I'll be sure to post what I've done.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Top speed varies a lot depending on environmental factors and weight. I boat on the coast with heavy currents, wind ect.. and my top speed is effected in a different way every time I go out. I can usually hit 35-37 with a boat load, 38-42 by myself. Although, I have a different power plant. I guess the point is that I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions about the mechanical condition of the boat. If you a running the same configuration on a lake day in and day out without many other obvious factors, and are seeing a large variance in top speed, then i would probably start digging. In which case all the previous posters all have good recommendations to consider.

Jim190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Performed ribbon delete about a year ago, but just pulled the ribbon and rubber gasket, the ribbon delete kit I purchased did not fit. At the same time removed the factory air box and installed the K&N cone filter, you will also need an adapter tube.

The last thing I did that seem to help was change over to Royal Purple high performance full synthetic oil.

All three of these things made a bid difference - 40mph consistently up from 35-37mph.

Also, remember no wax below the water line!

Jim