• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 Nissan Pathfinder / 2022 AR190

jon19288

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My father used to tow this with his 2018 RAM 1500 and I believe the hitch was a 2 inch drop. He is no longer able to tow the boat, and I am looking to see what kind of hitch I need to buy for my 2023 Pathfinder. Any help would be appreciated!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I always try to have the ball in centerline with the hub on your vehicle. My experience, this keeps the trailer level or slightly toungue high. IMO not a bad thing as water can drain from the drain plugs while driving. When I had my van, I needed a 6" rise and when we bought the Yukon XL, I needed a 4" drop. Luckily, my hitch was just that. I would have to imagine a 2" drop will be just fine. SUVs by nature sit much higher these days than they used too.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My father used to tow this with his 2018 RAM 1500 and I believe the hitch was a 2 inch drop. He is no longer able to tow the boat, and I am looking to see what kind of hitch I need to buy for my 2023 Pathfinder. Any help would be appreciated!
No need to guess - just measure it. Put the trailer level with the tongue jack on flat level ground, measure from the ground to the top of the coupler. That's the ball height. Measure from the ground up on your SUV to the same ball height and get the rise/drop needed to put the ball at that same height. It's typically somewhere around 18" above the ground. If the suspension of the SUV is soft and you have a heavy tongue weight, add an inch or two to the height to get the ball higher to account for sagging of the SUV. There's videos about how to do this too.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you towed with the pathfinder yet?
Just picked up a 2023 pathfinder. With factory hitch and 6,000 pound towing. I would probably only ever use it to tow should my truck kick the bucket or end up in the shop extended period.

jon19288

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you towed with the pathfinder yet?
Just picked up a 2023 pathfinder. With factory hitch and 6,000 pound towing. I would probably only ever use it to tow should my truck kick the bucket or end up in the shop extended period.
Why is that? It is 6,000 lbs and the boat and trailer is ~3000lbs ?? I am only towing it from a barn to the lake in the spring and from the lake to the barn in the fall..

jon19288

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No need to guess - just measure it. Put the trailer level with the tongue jack on flat level ground, measure from the ground to the top of the coupler. That's the ball height. Measure from the ground up on your SUV to the same ball height and get the rise/drop needed to put the ball at that same height. It's typically somewhere around 18" above the ground. If the suspension of the SUV is soft and you have a heavy tongue weight, add an inch or two to the height to get the ball higher to account for sagging of the SUV. There's videos about how to do this too.
my problem is that the boat in storage in Maine and I am in Massachusetts. Will be towing it for the first time when I pick it up at the end of the month

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Why is that? It is 6,000 lbs and the boat and trailer is ~3000lbs ?? I am only towing it from a barn to the lake in the spring and from the lake to the barn in the fall..
Just wondering how it performed. My boat and trailer are probably 4,200 lbs. Just want a first hand account of towing with the Pathfinder .

Select Friends

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wondering how it performed. My boat and trailer are probably 4,200 lbs. Just want a first hand account of towing with the Pathfinder .
I have an 18' pathfinder and tow my 21' foot Yamaha a couple times a year. It does fine towing on the highway and stopping. The only thing I wish I would have done is get 4 wheel drive. I got stuck on a slick steep ramp once and a steep gravel road once. It can be done as long as you are careful and not afraid of being embarrassed once in awhile.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ramps I use are all in good condition. All are concrete and deeply grooved. Not worried about front wheel traction. If the 2wd pathfinders where where rear wheel drive I might be. That summer slime is for real. My neighbor kayak ramp is not grooved and I have went ass over head a couple times. I always put my truck in 4wd, because I am paranoid. My neighbor (who I have been out with countless time) in his 22 and 25 foot never puts his truck in 4wd. It has never slipped ever.

Last edited:

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Been about week in this 2023 Pathfinder S (something ) with platinum package.
Last family ride was a 2017 Armada. I didn't think I would like the Pathfinder as much as I do. I liked the Armada, but the body roll sucked. It was great for long family trips, but I figure the difference in gas mileage will probably fund renting a van for the one or two times a year we would need something bigger.

Attachments