• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212 Limited S vs AR 240

itsalexg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All -

I have been following the forum for a few months now as I prepare to purchase my first Yamaha jet boat.

I have narrowed down my search to 2 different models, 2018 212 Limited S and 2018 AR 240. I have been able to negotiate great deals on both and needed some guidance before I made the purchase.

Some background: I live in Miami, FL and will boating in the bay areas primarily with my kids (sandbars, tubing etc). Although I have no plans of going out in the open (for now), I want a boat that is safe and comfortable for my family. When comparing the AR240 with 212 limited S it appears that the AR240 is only heavier by 200 lbs. What makes for a more comfortable ride, the extra length or weight? Is it worth spending an extra 5k for 3ft and only 200 lbs? Aside from size it appears that the only difference between the 2 models is 2 extra speakers and teak floor matts (which I can always add later).

Secondly, I am not a big fan of trailering the boat around specially since all the ramps in Miami are crazy and jam packed. I found a great marina with a wet slip on the Miami River (fresh water) but I have read contradicting opinions about wet storage and wanted to get your opinion. Is it safe to keep the boat in fresh water? I am spending 50k+ on the boat so I want to make sure I take care of it and take all necessary precautions to make it last.

Appreciate your input and time and look forward to learning from you all.

- Alex G.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All -

I have been following the forum for a few months now as I prepare to purchase my first Yamaha jet boat.

I have narrowed down my search to 2 different models, 2018 212 Limited S and 2018 AR 240. I have been able to negotiate great deals on both and needed some guidance before I made the purchase.

Some background: I live in Miami, FL and will boating in the bay areas primarily with my kids (sandbars, tubing etc). Although I have no plans of going out in the open (for now), I want a boat that is safe and comfortable for my family. When comparing the AR240 with 212 limited S it appears that the AR240 is only heavier by 200 lbs. What makes for a more comfortable ride, the extra length or weight? Is it worth spending an extra 5k for 3ft and only 200 lbs? Aside from size it appears that the only difference between the 2 models is 2 extra speakers and teak floor matts (which I can always add later).

Secondly, I am not a big fan of trailering the boat around specially since all the ramps in Miami are crazy and jam packed. I found a great marina with a wet slip on the Miami River (fresh water) but I have read contradicting opinions about wet storage and wanted to get your opinion. Is it safe to keep the boat in fresh water? I am spending 50k+ on the boat so I want to make sure I take care of it and take all necessary precautions to make it last.

Appreciate your input and time and look forward to learning from you all.

- Alex G.
Alex - welcome! I don't think you can go wrong with the AR240, it's probably still the best "value" in the Yamaha line up, if trailering and/or storage capacity are not limiting. 3ft makes a big difference in space/capacity, storage, and rough water handling.
That said, 212s are awesome, and have a better tower with a safer locking mechanism.
Wet slipping is doable, but not great for these boats. Could you get a lift?

--

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the 240 and never look back. If you can swing the extra money, the extra size is nice. I have a 23 foot and at 6 people on board it gets a little tight. A 21 foot would be worse still depending on how old your kids are.

Chris Jordan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd go with the AR240. That extra space does make a big difference and makes for a better ride. The problem with wet storage on jet boats is that the engines lay horizontal unlike outboard engines that remain vertical. So the water is always sitting inside the engine which accelerates the eventual damage, especially if you're in saltwater.
As long as to store the boat out of water and flush the engine thoroughly after every trip, they will last well past 10 years.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve never been on a 24 ft, but am completely happy with our 21 foot, for us it was a great balance between size and space, I’d love a 24ft, and wouldn’t steer you away, but if the 212 has the features you like and the price is right, they are still a great boat.

For us, it was a combination, I wanted the upgraded stereo/fixtures/upholstery twin captain seats, hydro turf etc. I also felt that 21 feet was a good fit for our storage and as we trailer/launch every time, I liked the size. As for space, I felt that the 21 was sufficient for our needs, I’m not sure about the space on the 24, no doubt there is more and there are some features that would be great, but for us, to get everything we wanted in a turn key package, we would have had to look at a 242X and that was out of our budget.

Best of luck, I am confident you will LOVE either boat!