• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x for wakesurfing seriously?

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Things may be coming together for a used 2014 212x and I was looking for opinions on its ability to provide a decent wave for wakesurfing... I would plan on purchasing the Gantlin mod. Also interested in its wake for wake boarding...

Several factors make it an advantage for me and my wife. 1st the price (around $37500). 2nd we have quite few sandy beaches we can pull up to and water is shallow at the end of our dock (2 1/2 to 3 feet based on rain) . 3rd use to have the LS 2000 and are familiar with jet boats. However I had my heart set on Axis A22 after all my research but cheapest I can find is 50k+ for 2013 and above.

My wife is pretty set on jet boat though and I can't get her to agree to $50k+ boats. So I'm trying to convince myself that I will enjoy the 212x. I am an experienced wakeboarder, experienced surfboard riding kite surfer, but newbie to wakesurfing. I just don't like hanging on to a rope much any more but wish to have a family boat that can please Daddy and his wake boarding friends.

I also wonder which boat, Axis type or 212x will handle long runs through chop (1-2feet) better? I did get to demo the exact 212x last weekend and man it was smooth over chop and strong and fast and loud. Did not get to see the wake with ballast though...

The option here is for me to save the extra cash and push for the Axis type boat next Spring...

Good news, there's a member thinking about selling his well equipped 212x here, and another member selling his wake wedges here! :winkingthumbsup"

Wakeboard wake is great - not MC pro level, but fun none the less. You can always add/increase ballast. Everyone always likes the wakeboard wake, regardless of the level. Again - it's not an MC wake. But to be honest - some of those wakes are down right freakin scary big.
Surf board wake - it needs a little more ballast to consistently go ropeless. My kids can go ropeless with the stock ballast, but bigger guys and beginners need more. This weekend I had 8 guys on board (brothers and friends) and some heavy beverage coolers. Wake was big and long depending on where people were placed. Everyone went ropeless. Made me realize that I wanted another ballast bag to place around, maybe even another in the locker.
My son can go ropeless, but he prefers to hold on and carve all over the place, even up and over the wake - he carves it like he's on his skateboard. He thinks staying in the pocket is boring.

As for that Axis - it's made by Malibu. Bu's traditionally have somewhat flat hulls - meaning - they ride like a tank. By design, they do not ride thru chop like the 212x, they can't, they were designed to shape the water behind them sacrificing ride quality.
That said - they're great boats with a purpose. If wakeboarding and surfing is your thing, a Yamaha simply can't compete with a dedicated wake boat.

Each boat has pros and cons. I have friends with wakeboats - they're all nice. But I believe the Yamaha's have way more pros than cons. And so do some of my friends.

octavio summed it up much better than I could have. Don't discount what he said about the need for ballast. Even with the Wedge, you will need full ballast and a few chubby friends.

If you intend to do a lot of surfing or wakeboarding , be sure to plan for the cost of getting perfect pass. Speed control at wakeboarding speeds can be tricky as it is often right at the full planing speed. Not hard to hold steady speed at surfing speeds but very hard to make fine adjustments at those speeds to perfect the wave.

You said it yourself.
Your wife is set on a jet boat and doesn't want to spend 50k.:rolleyes:

Your getting a Yamaha.

Or, bachelorhood probably isn't all that bad.:D

@thegrapeguy or there is this picture of the wake we had last week with just ballast alone....same boat as video aboveimage.jpg

So what options are necessary to get Bobbie's success and how much are they?

@thegrapeguy I put in custom bags from wakemakers...a second pump and perfect pass. The perfect pass is nice but not needed for the wake. We put a 450 bag on the back deck. You can add wedges to clean up the wake but you will get huge push either way. I've gone ropeless for 32 min 45 seconds with that setup

@octavio3311 I'm guessing about 1100 a side. Much bigger than stock. River city boats did the install and literally sheared off anything that might poke then when filled. Wakemakers did a scan on the 212x so anyone can get those bags with my hull. Had to upgrade the pumps. Plus river city did discharge above water line which is so much better.

So therein lies the problem. So much customization at high price not to mention I have no one within 300 miles of me that can do that type of work...

Why not get the Axis and have it all be dialed in for say 55k?

Does the boat even run good with that kind of weight?

Extra bag on the deck? What about getting in and out easy ? Filling that bag?

Do you use the 212x for other purposes Bobbie? Like cruising or beaching it where getting an Axis wouldn't cut it?

You get the yamaha because it does everything very well, but not being a dedicated wake boat you sacrifice a little on that one area. The dedicated wake boat gives you the very best wake but sacrifices in EVERY OTHER catagory.

Hmmm...I don't find the wakeboats to sacrifice all that much. They tend to have good social layouts, nice stereos, water level swim platforms, etc. those that I have been on are a bit harder riding than a normal runabout, and of course you can't run in really skinny water.

Well...is 1-2 Chop is a consideration ...AXIS will not be a choice for you.
With some mods as shown above..you can surf a 212X.
And it looks like the Price is Right
There are some dedicated Tow boats in that price range..but they will all be pre 2010-2008 model years

Back