• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x for wakesurfing seriously?

You get the yamaha because it does everything very well, but not being a dedicated wake boat you sacrifice a little on that one area. The dedicated wake boat gives you the very best wake but sacrifices in EVERY OTHER catagory.

Expand on this please...not disagreeing...but..go on

Expand on this please...not disagreeing...but..go on
@lashburn1 I think what they are saying is inboards have a rougher ride, but not unbearable, need more draft, no beaching, things like that.

It just all depends on what you do with your boat. Bobbie goes out and surfs. That is what she does, so it makes since for her to get a boat that can do that efficiently. Where my family uses the boat for beaching, crusing, surfing, tubing, raft ups, shallow water areas, some fishing, so it makes since for my family to have a Yamaha. As we get older and the kids stop coming with us you better believe a Centurion is in my sights.

@lashburn1 I think what they are saying is inboards have a rougher ride, but not unbearable, need more draft, no beaching, things like that.

It just all depends on what you do with your boat. Bobbie goes out and surfs. That is what she does, so it makes since for her to get a boat that can do that efficiently. Where my family uses the boat for beaching, crusing, surfing, tubing, raft ups, shallow water areas, some fishing, so it makes since for my family to have a Yamaha. As we get older and the kids stop coming with us you better believe a Centurion is in my sights.

Gotcha...
As you know, I started with a 242LS 2013 - drove it everywhere in one season Including the Unpredictable Lake Powell waters.
133 hr in Just a few months

My next boat was an MC X30 2013, and I have an X30 2014 now (don't ask)

The 242 was/is there best riding and most comfortable Hull
The X30 rides Better...period, handles better at speed
It holds More people
It has AT least the same storage as My 242...we took everything from it and put it in the X30
It is quieter
You can and we have beached it, Tow boat owners consider this Taboo same as Salt Water usage.

Now..
It also cost 80% More than the 242 new
Its not as Fast
Dock, like a Jet boat is more of a challenge at 1st
There is no option for a PortaPottie (we installed in our 242 and never even pee'd in it LOL)
Extreme Shallow water boating is not safe.
Did I mention the Cost?

Remember I love Yamaha boats and what they offer, and the Price to value ratio is still the Best out there

@lashburn1 ....point I was making were pretty much summed up in the last two posts. Jets are, for me at least, easier to maneuver once you get past the learning curve, allow better access to shallow water, especially on a river, I feel with the yamaha I've been on the hull will provide a better ride. I see them more enjoyable for cruising with the family opposed to sacrificing some comfort with an inboard. Maybe it was just the models I was on but seemed as though they handled like a dump truck

@lashburn1 ....point I was making were pretty much summed up in the last two posts. Jets are, for me at least, easier to maneuver once you get past the learning curve, allow better access to shallow water, especially on a river, I feel with the yamaha I've been on the hull will provide a better ride. I see them more enjoyable for cruising with the family opposed to sacrificing some comfort with an inboard. Maybe it was just the models I was on but seemed as though they handled like a dump truck

You are right, until just a few years ago, Inboards especial Direct drives, rode really bad in mild chop.
Not so much the Case any more... but on average your statement is true...
We had a Large 242 LS...we now have an MC X30, The X30 is about a Foot LESS freeboard, so when you are at NO-wake speed in open Water- the Yamaha will be Safer...
Once at speed/cruising the MCX30 wins that case every day...and I have been in Rough water in Boats boats.

The big case for you is Shallow Water riding 3' or less, and Cost$$.
For some folks, shallow water is a Dealer Breaker. If you are in 4-8 of water on average a Jet will make your life easy.

@lashburn1 ...hope you didn't take me wrong as I'm not knocking an inboard boat. My kids are young and honestly I believe I would be the only one to truly appreciate a dedicated wake boat. I should clarify that at least for me the benefits of a jet greatly outnumber an inboard as I see my use as a family and what I would be doing with it. Maybe in five years I'll change my tune and look in a different perspective.

Go find some owners of both and ride in them and pick them over if possible and make your decision based on that, i had a ar210 and had it less than 2 season and now ive gone inboard, an axis a24 and no way i will ever go back to a jet boat some love it for beaching or shallow water but i don't need either. my axis makes the yamah feel like a 10' dingy in chop too as @lashburn1 said older dd and older inboards yea they will beat you to death but so will a yamaha until you ride in a newer inboard we usually fill our center ballast as soon as we get to the lake and it blast through chop i would almost stop and avoid in the ar210

My son in law has the Malibu 23 LSV. Extremely comfortable ride in flat water to mild chop. Plenty of room. Tiny bimini and a HUGE wake when he fills the ballast and a good sized one when empty.
He won't follow me up river when the water is low, so he misses out on all the flat glassy water. But that's OK because it disappears when his barge plows through anyway.
Not as fast as my Yamaha, but what's a few mph? :rolleyes:
All in all a lovely boat. But when me 3 year old grandson sees us pull up to them on the water he jumps ship. Must be the supply of Red Bull and Snickers on my boat! :eek:

And yes...$$$$$ compared to the Yamaha, and you can see where the money is spent.

If I wanted a dedicated wake or ski boat I would have bought one. My kids liked all the water sports, but not enough to do it all day long. They'd rather play in the morning and then go have breakfast and then play horse shoes or something.

The Yamaha is an

Shasta 011.jpg

One thing I will point out that everyone is missing, as far as the V drive wake boats, you can get a good deal on one a few years old however they are wake not surf. You will still have to invest in adding bags (unless the PO has already done so) to make them list so you can surf. If you want the Surf Gate tech, you are stuck buying a 2yo boat or newer and the price is steep. You can make a 212X surf able like @bobbie did or I am in the process of doing for less than 2K if you do the work yourself, if you pay to have it done, expect another 1K. Now that price does not include PP which @bobbie pointed out is not necessary for surfing, just ,makes it a little easier so it can be done in stages as I plan to do. Surf mods this winter, PP next. I looked at some older Nautiques etc. before I decided to get the 212X but the price to get one new enough that I could add the surf gate too or equivalent was still 30K north of what I got my X for. Boats are like bikes, you buy them then make them yours, to fit your needs etc. Its all part of the fun.

Perfect Pass

I will also add that there is no one perfect boat to do multiple things with but you can find a compromise to do enough. As others have pointed out the Yamaha is not a great wake surf, or wake board etc however it is capable of doing both amongst a host of many other things. I personally love anything yamaha marine, they have been my go to for decades. Now when I tire of the water sports etc. I will look towards a cabin cruiser type of boat eventually, something with a generator etc. as I plan on overnight trips and some traveling one day but it is no time soon. For right now the later 212X's with the twin 1.8's are fantastic boats. Loads of power, drive them with some sense and they are extremely efficient compared to other boats I have owned etc. I think your bottom line is you have to keep momma happy and you want it to do what you like to do and it can, you just have to be prepared to do a few mods and it becomes a great all around platform. Most importantly is to get out on the water and have fun. Hell when all I could afford was a 12' john boat with an 8hp motor I still had loads of fun on the water... its up to you to have fun, the boat is merely a vessel to that fun.

Last edited:
Back