• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212X tower lowering

Daren Humphries

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was just wondering if anyone has lowered their bimini tower, especially for towing. I have removed my pins and lowered it as far as the steel rope lanyards allow but can these be removed? If they are removed what does the front of the tower rest on?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had my dealer in Manchester, TN remove those steel retainer wires from the base of the tower so I can fit my 212X into my garage. There's actually a simple bolt at the base of each side that'll release the retention mechanism. Once released, the tower will come crashing down, so be careful! My dealer provided me with a tower stand used for shipping their Tige wakeboats - he had a bunch of them laying around.

With all that said, don't tow with your tower down. It's not made to be towed this way. The trailering cover doesn't fit properly with the tower down anyway. The splattered bugs on the tower are a nuisance, but if you keep some wax on that surface they'll simply wipe off. Also, be sure to turn your sound bar to where the speakers are facing backward when towing down the road. I can't imagine 70+ mph winds and bugs hitting all those speakers would be good for it.

Daren Humphries

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had my dealer in Manchester, TN remove those steel retainer wires from the base of the tower so I can fit my 212X into my garage. There's actually a simple bolt at the base of each side that'll release the retention mechanism. Once released, the tower will come crashing down, so be careful! My dealer provided me with a tower stand used for shipping their Tige wakeboats - he had a bunch of them laying around.

With all that said, don't tow with your tower down. It's not made to be towed this way. The trailering cover doesn't fit properly with the tower down anyway. The splattered bugs on the tower are a nuisance, but if you keep some wax on that surface they'll simply wipe off. Also, be sure to turn your sound bar to where the speakers are facing backward when towing down the road. I can't imagine 70+ mph winds and bugs hitting all those speakers would be good for it.
Perfect. I appreciate that. The garage thing is important to us too. I actually use that new Topcoat F11 and bugs just wipe right off. We will be towing from TN to FL in June and I’ll just take the Bimini and sound bar off. Worth the 5 minutes I’m sure. Thanks again.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’d leave the sound bar on, just turn it backwards. You’re at more risk to screw it up removing, storing elesewhere, and transporting it somewhere else than it’ll be when mounted where it should be.

How was your trip to Tims Ford?

Daren Humphries

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’d leave the sound bar on, just turn it backwards. You’re at more risk to screw it up removing, storing elesewhere, and transporting it somewhere else than it’ll be when mounted where it should be.

How was your trip to Tims Ford?
Already removed the bar to do a modification. Tim’s Ford was great. A bit chilly when we went so it will be better later. We went East towards Dalton on Harrison lake last week and that was perfect.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Can't believe there isn't a third party solution for a tower cover for these boats. Wouldn't be hard or too expensive for a canvas shop to do one up I wouldn't think.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can't believe there isn't a third party solution for a tower cover for these boats. Wouldn't be hard or too expensive for a canvas shop to do one up I wouldn't think.
Agreed, not sure if this would work but it would be ideal if it could cover the bimini cover as well. As many people have complained about the bimini cover as well. My thought is use the bimini cover provided by Yamaha and then have a cover for the tower that covers the cover. At this point I think I’m just going to try the Top Coat.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As others have said, leave the tower up when towing as without a support it's not designed to be towed in the down position.

Bugs on the speakers it always fun. I read in another thread that some of the guys put painters tape on the front edges of their tower and then just remove it at their destination.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to hi-jack this one, but I have a question about those support cables for the tower. Are they supposed to soften the lowering of the tower? I bought a 212x at the end of last year and only put 6 hours on it before winter storage, but it seemed to me that there was no damping of the tower and if I just let it go it was going to smash down pretty good. Is it supposed to lower softly when you pull the pins?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Buckeye Boater There are no dampners on them. I think only the newer 24' Limited and maybe newer E-series gets a small gas shock. The cable is simply there to attach to the big washer under the gunnel to stop the tower at a set height. Do not let it drop without walking down the tower as it would just fall.

The cables are like the ones from the forward swept AR towers like mine. This thread shows how they are used and also how I got mine to sit lower inside the boat https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-get-your-2016-ar192-or-ar195-in-a-garage-less-than-7.10369/

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The tower will definitely come crashing down if you remove the pins and 'let-er-go!'

The first time I was looking at a '17 212X, the dealer was demonstrating how the tower collapses. He removed the 2nd pin and the tower came crashing down and nearly took off the head of a 2nd salesman! They both thought it was dampened, but learned a lesson quickly. No damage was done however.

aug0211

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anyone have a video or photos of what it is like to lower the tower? In the early research phase (this is post 2!) before purchasing and would like to understand more about lowering the tower on an AR series, for storing in a garage.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Does anyone have a video or photos of what it is like to lower the tower? In the early research phase (this is post 2!) before purchasing and would like to understand more about lowering the tower on an AR series, for storing in a garage.
You have to hold onto it the whole time, it is not a gas shock or anything like that. So it's basically a 2 person job, 1 person unscrewing the pins with the other holding the tower up. And then gently lowering it down. It all depends your garage height/what size boat you want, wether it will even be possible. If you go with a 19 footer, it should fit in a standard garage door. Just follow @haknslash link above, its very easy

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have always lowered the tower by myself on my ‘17 212X. It’s not hard, but it can be a little heavy. Just don’t let go of it.

if you check out JetBoatPilot.com, I think they were researching and bringing to market some damper system for the towers.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This past summer I instructed a passenger to "hold the tower" as I released the pins. She thought she had to "push the tower down" after the pins released. Tower with racks and 2x JL 8.8's came crashing down on my wife as she was holding the boat in position! Super scary - luckily it was a grazing shot and she survived with just a bump on the head and a headache. Putting the tower down is for sure a two person job. Lesson learned: always confirm with your helpers what you plan to do before going ahead - assume nothing!

If doing it by yourself, tie a docking line to the tower, run it through your transom ski tow point and you'll be able to hold the tower until you can get under it.