• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

21ft boat in a 20ft garage?

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm ready to get back into another boat. will likely pick up a 21ft seadoo. my issue is our garage is about 8" too short to store the boat directly in. boat on trailer should be around 21' 1", garage with door closed is about 20' 6". the garage is 20' wide. my question, how much of an angle will I have to park the boat, i.e., how much of the second half of the garage will I have to sacrifice to the boat? any of you guys have to park at an angle? is it a horrible pain in the neck?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is 21’1” with a folded tongue?

Jim

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since the boat is 8' wide, as you angle it the back corner will angle into the wall and at first it won't get any shorter as the center of the boat is forced out away from the wall. Just a SWAG but you will probably use about 1/2 of another bay. Old Pythagoras says the tip is almost 21-1/2' from the back corner and you will have to move it past the back corner into the empty bay before it even starts to get shorter. I had sort of that same thing going on once. Learned the hard way!
Cheers

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Since the boat is 8' wide, as you angle it the back corner will angle into the wall and at first it won't get any shorter as the center of the boat is forced out away from the wall. Just a SWAG but you will probably use about 1/2 of another bay. Old Pythagoras says the tip is almost 21-1/2' from the back corner and you will have to move it past the back corner into the empty bay before it even starts to get shorter. I had sort of that same thing going on once. Learned the hard way!
Cheers
so you are of the opinion that it's not worth the headache? i just can't bring myself to leave the boat outside year round...

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That sounds like personal advice that is above my pay grade! I agree I hate the thought of leaving it outside. I had ruled out the FSH because it is too tall for my garage, but my boss lady suggested we rent a covered slip and I am glad she did. And I really have a 12-month boating season so that factors in too. I would hate to be paying slip rental if I didn't use the boat 3 months a year. If you can spare the garage, or have a motorcycle to put in there too, then keep the boat inside.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That sounds like personal advice that is above my pay grade! I agree I hate the thought of leaving it outside. I had ruled out the FSH because it is too tall for my garage, but my boss lady suggested we rent a covered slip and I am glad she did. And I really have a 12-month boating season so that factors in too. I would hate to be paying slip rental if I didn't use the boat 3 months a year. If you can spare the garage, or have a motorcycle to put in there too, then keep the boat inside.
funny, first thing the wife said was that I would have to get rid of one or two of the motorcycles. there is boat storage place close to my house, but having the boat in the garage, clean and batteries topped off just beats going back and forth to a storage yard every time I use it. It's just the pain of moving that thing around/sideways is the only thing de-motivating me.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any chance it could clear if you jacked it up high enough. I’m not smart enough to figure it out but the theory seems to work when experimenting with my iPhone and tv remote. Ha!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I’ve always thought this was a viable option.
😂😂😂
But my wife doesn’t agree for some reason.

1712620527204.jpeg

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
i've actually been stressing about it all night. but decided i'm going to pull the trigger (if I can get the seller to agree to the price I want to pay) and either i will learn to live with it in the garage, or I'll park it in storage lot nearby if I can't.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do have a third bay garage with nothing behind it except my back yard (and a big drop because of basement). HOA can't tell me no if it's in the back yard, right?
Wrong, well it depends on the rule in place and somewhat on the rules the HOA could enact in the future. My cousin lived in an area with a HOA. He kept his boat in the backyard but got a few warnings and finally a fine over it because it was still viewable from the street. On the trailer it was taller than the fence blocking it. He couldn’t just raise the fence either because the fence had to be HOA compliant as well.

Gap22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has been in a storage shed since I got it in 2021. I go pick it up Friday afternoons, keep it in the driveway at night until Sunday's boating is done. Able to do whatever I need to the boat Friday and Saturday nights. A lot less hassle and stress of trying to move that sucker around like a puzzle piece to get it in a garage. Maybe try your garage when you get it but have the shed on standby.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Mine has been in a storage shed since I got it in 2021. I go pick it up Friday afternoons, keep it in the driveway at night until Sunday's boating is done. Able to do whatever I need to the boat Friday and Saturday nights. A lot less hassle and stress of trying to move that sucker around like a puzzle piece to get it in a garage. Maybe try your garage when you get it but have the shed on standby.
if the boat storage place had covered storage, it would be a no brainer, but they don't. it's just a parking lot. but it still may be a good option, at least during the busy summer months, then bring it home in the winter.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm officially back!! pulled the trigger last weekend on a Challenger 210 and decided to rent a storage space for it. pretty close to my house so very convenient. now, what do you guys do about maintaining batteries if boat is not being used for a few weeks? just bring the boat home the night before outing and hook it up to the charger over night? do you do anything special to the mooring covers to keep them maintained in good shape? and what do you use on the hull to keep from fading if it's sitting outside year round?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Charging: Keep the batteries plugged in to a NOCO charger constantly if you can, but frequently if you cannot. Even with battery switches in off mode, you'll still see drainage, and you don't want to deplete them more than 60% if you want to keep them in good conditions.

Mooring cover: If you have the OEM mooring cover, just slap it on and forget it. Mine sits in the sun on the boat the entire summer at my house and it's really maintained itself. I always recommend spraying the ratchet strap ratchets with a little YamahLube to keep them working well. Those covers seem to be worth every penny you have to spend on them.

Hull fading: If your hull is in good condition, keeping the exposed parts waxed regularly and the mooring cover on is all you'll need to do. If you already have fading, restore it first, then keep it waxed. A lot of guys go for ceramic coating, but I prefer a good 'ol natural hard wax. My boat is waxed about once a month in the 3-4 month season we get here.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm officially back!! pulled the trigger last weekend on a Challenger 210 and decided to rent a storage space for it. pretty close to my house so very convenient. now, what do you guys do about maintaining batteries if boat is not being used for a few weeks? just bring the boat home the night before outing and hook it up to the charger over night? do you do anything special to the mooring covers to keep them maintained in good shape? and what do you use on the hull to keep from fading if it's sitting outside year round?
Is there power at the storage facility? Battery tenders/chargers don't draw much power.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Is there power at the storage facility? Battery tenders/chargers don't draw much power.
there is NO power available at the storage place. I tried searching for some kind of "portable" battery operated trickle charges, but couldn't find anything.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Charging: Keep the batteries plugged in to a NOCO charger constantly if you can, but frequently if you cannot. Even with battery switches in off mode, you'll still see drainage, and you don't want to deplete them more than 60% if you want to keep them in good conditions.

Mooring cover: If you have the OEM mooring cover, just slap it on and forget it. Mine sits in the sun on the boat the entire summer at my house and it's really maintained itself. I always recommend spraying the ratchet strap ratchets with a little YamahLube to keep them working well. Those covers seem to be worth every penny you have to spend on them.

Hull fading: If your hull is in good condition, keeping the exposed parts waxed regularly and the mooring cover on is all you'll need to do. If you already have fading, restore it first, then keep it waxed. A lot of guys go for ceramic coating, but I prefer a good 'ol natural hard wax. My boat is waxed about once a month in the 3-4 month season we get here.
can't hook up a charger because there are no outlets at the storage yard. mooring cover is good quality and relatively new, so that's good to know. maybe just put a couple of damprid containers to keep moisture/mold to a minimum. Hull is in very good condition. i already bought some "spray-on" waxes and plan on applying every time I take it out/clean. sufficient? or is a real carnuba wax required every so often?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why didn't you just park it outside in your drive?