• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

222xd vs Monterey 255ss

TommyMcK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I moved recently to Southwest Florida but am still going to maintain a presence in Maryland. I could have just moved my 222xd with me, but I still have family on the Chesapeake and the Yamaha is really ideally suited for the upper bay and associated rivers. So, after looking at a bunch of options for my new home in Florida, I settled on a Monterey 255SS.

I've had Yamaha jet boats for over 20 years, but also have had outboard powered boats over that same timeframe. While I consider myself very proficient with maneuvering in tight spaces with the Yamahas, I always considered the outboards easier in most conditions.

I really (really) like the Monterey, but what surprised me is that in comparison with my new 222XD, I consider the Yamaha better when slow in tight spots. My 222xd is bone stock without any aftermarket mods.

In terms of comparison, the Monterey is more expensive (though not by that much). It has a real working head for what that's worth. For me, not that much, but you'd be surprised at how much that matters to the ladies just as piece of mind. It's more stable in chop than the Yamaha, but not light years ahead of it. It has a bigger boat feel though. And the Mercury 300HP outboard is whisper quiet and silky smooth. The boat in general has a smoother feel to it.

The Yamaha is light years ahead of the Monterey when it comes to the cockpit and standard features. The stock Monterey comes with a couple of steam gauges and doesn't even have a depth finder standard!

Looks-wise, it depends on my mood and the day as to which I prefer. The Yamaha edges it out though most days for me. Fit and finish is similar.

I've had to keep the Monterey at a high-and-dry marina while my lift was being installed, but that was just finished this week and I'll have home this weekend.

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_7963.jpg
276A3092.jpg