• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

230 series - without tower - Mount a VHF antenna - With mooring cover

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious if anyone who has a 230 series boat, has mounted a VHF marine radio antenna that also uses the mooring cover. I am contemplating adding a marine radio and/or a ham radio. But, I don't know where to mount the antenna so that the antenna will not interfere with the mooring cover. I have an SX, so I don't have a tower.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am mounting mine on the rear rail on the port side. It will need to be rotated flush with the boat to install the cover.

I will post pictures when I mount it next week.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am mounting mine on the rear rail on the port side. It will need to be rotated flush with the boat to install the cover.

I will post pictures when I mount it next week.
In this spot?

Circled.JPG

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 242, but wanted to tell you I mounted mine on the starboard side just in front of the windshield so that the bow and cockpit cover are not obstructed. There is enough room to use the mooring cover as well but I had to reinforce the area that touched the antenna mount so it didn't rub a hole in the cover.

Good luck.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@steined Do you happen to have a picture?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok - no problem. I won't be doing this anytime soon. I am just trying to figure out whether or not it would be feasible.

Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, cool @Bruce . I am looking forward to seeing your pics! I hope your install goes well!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce did you happen to get any pics of the radio install?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis

I used a Shakespeare SHA-4188-S rail mount. Originally I ordered a plastic one but it never arrived so I had this one overnighted.

VHF_Antenna_Mount.jpg

This is the down position

VHF_Antenna_Down.jpg

And up

VHF_Antenna_UP.jpg

This is where I mounted the Standard Horizon 1700 radio

VHF_Head_Unit.jpg

It does not interfere with my cover.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the pics @Bruce ! Looks good.

Is having the GPS and MMSI worth it? I have been considering using a ham radio that has access to marine channels. But, I would not have the GPS and MMSI capability if I went that route. So, in your opinion, is the GPS and the MMSI nice to have or have you actually used it and benefited from it? I am certain, on the ocean, as with the trip to Bimini, if you needed that emergency button, it would have been invaluable.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the GX1700 for the automatic DSC (distress call) and built in GPS. Over 2012 and 2012 we spent three weeks in the Gulf then six days in the Atlantic this year. Even my four year old could open the cover and press the DSC button if needed.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, in other words the DSC, GPS, and MMSI features would only be used for an emergency? In other words, emergencies aside, you haven't used these features for anything else?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Raymarine Dragonfly on top of the dash has Gold charts and takes care of all of my need for GPS which I use frequently. Before I had it I used a phone with Navionics then a tablet with Navionics.

I have not used DSC or tracked another boat using MMSI.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, cool. Thanks for the intel. I have been on the fence about what radio to put in my boat. The only real time I think I might need the features of the radio you used would be the potential trip to Bimini. However, on the inland lakes I frequent, the GPS features of this radio are something that really aren't needed. I think my ham radio, with marine capability, would suffice. I would not have GPS lattitude/longitude or a automatic distress button with the ham radio. But, I don't think it is necessary on my local lakes. On the trip to Bimini, if I ever make it, would be GREAT to have it. But, I could look at different alternatives for that one trip.

Thanks again! Your install looks very nice!

SoFla David

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have mine mounted in front of the driver side windshield with a swivel mount.

I am also a ham radio operator, but opted for a true VHF radio for the following reason:

"In an emergency, just about anyone can operate the VHF radio. Two knobs, (volume and squelch) and a simple up/down channel selector. But good luck getting a non ham to operate a ham radio and get it on the right frequency for distress calling.

Just something to think about.

David
KE4TIN

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have mine mounted in front of the driver side windshield with a swivel mount.

I am also a ham radio operator, but opted for a true VHF radio for the following reason:

"In an emergency, just about anyone can operate the VHF radio. Two knobs, (volume and squelch) and a simple up/down channel selector. But good luck getting a non ham to operate a ham radio and get it on the right frequency for distress calling.

Just something to think about.

David
KE4TIN
I agree with you David. That is something to consider.

W2OCM

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I removed the satellite radio antenna in front of the helm and used that same hole for my VHF antenna, plus it was a short run for the cable. Now, this did aid in finishing off the 3 year old cover that I had last summer, so I got a tennis ball, drilled a hole in it and plop that over the mount when not in use. The "new" cover just slides right over it now. I can take some better pics if needed. IMG_0106.JPG

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't have the satellite antenna that you have. But, I appreciate you posting the photo. Looks like it is working pretty well for you!