• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

240 Sport Jet - Sticks in the Impeller

Freebird

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys, I just recently bought this aluminum Kellehan river boat modified from and outboard to a 240 sport jet. Pretty much for the sole purpose of being on the Fraser River here in Hope, BC Canada. Love the boat so far and the motor as well. Twice now I have picked up a small stick the size of your finger and it gets wedged in between the leading edge of the impeller and the housing, rendering my top speed to about 3-7 mph. Theres no way to rectify without the boat on the trailer. It's easy to pull it out once its out of the water and it doesnt do any damage but its a pain in the ass. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this and come up with any fixes. I have a couple ideas such as building a new grate for the intake with slighty less space between the steel slats, without restricting the flow too much. Or possibly pulling the impeller out and just in that certain 1 inch section of the edge of the impeller blades, sharpening it slightly so that it has a better chance of cutting through the stick and spitting it out the back. Obviously not a knife edge, but maybe a 45 degree angle leaving enough meat so it doesn't abrade too badly. Any thoughts??

Attachments

akozar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I've had it happen a couple of times and yes it is a pain in the ass. I try and shut the engines down as soon as I stop now and try not to idle in place. Hasn't happened since I started doing this.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thats not a Mercury grate that I.ve ever seen. Maybe a after market stomp grate missing something? It looks like it is articulated. There is a stainless rock grate that has less gap between the tines. I run one and very little gets though but it will clog with weeds pretty easy, never been a problem where I run. Can't even get my pinky finger in it. The one on the left.

Attachments