• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 E Series Bimini

mrehmeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
towed my boat home after purchasing it with bimini up and no issues, towed out several times with no issues but decided to shift the cover from the lower position (front down slightly) to the upper position (slightly raised) and the cover came loose at 70mph... fortunately another car flagged us down and we stopped, only the light pole was holding it on. It had sheared through the wimpy front velcro strip and broke the wires from the solar panel but we managed to get it back on and I put zip ties in 8 places around the bar and over the strap so even if it comes loose, it shouldn't leave the bar...

I had never thought to check if the strap had loosened over time, but going forward I will add that to my checklist and if traveling at speed will tilt the cover forward to prevent any lift from passing wind.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The other thing to keep any eye on is the 2018 and up have a single adjustable Bimini knob A member posted that it backed out they didn't notice and hit an overpass and destroyed the tower. I tow with the Bimini 40 to 60 min drive but if its not on the frame is less likely to flip up if the knob backs out for long hauls.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not to stir up the pot, but I don't get the whole towing a long distance with the top on. All you do is create a big sail that you have to pull through the wind and risk having it ripped off...especially when it says 35MPH max. For the 5 minutes it takes to set up/take down vs. the cost of replacing it (and the drama in life) it is really worth it? Especially if that thing goes sailing away on the freeway and causes an accident?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not to stir up the pot, but I don't get the whole towing a long distance with the top on. All you do is create a big sail that you have to pull through the wind and risk having it ripped off...especially when it says 35MPH max. For the 5 minutes it takes to set up/take down vs. the cost of replacing it (and the drama in life) it is really worth it? Especially if that thing goes sailing away on the freeway and causes an accident?
Agree 100%

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s fine leaving it on and if it took 5 mininutes to take it on and off you are a miracle worker if you have some special technique please post it. There are two scenarios that come up that makes sense to not pull it off . The boat ramp is a narrow road and typically just to put ropes and bumpers on your holding up the line I like to hustle and expect others to as well slow pokes at the ramp suck. The second scenario is launch the boat filled with passengers and shuffle them all over as you try to mount it buckles swinging around as you realized it’s backwards the boat is drifting and swaying from other boat wakes . Routing the straps inside or outside under or over the person helping did it one way yours is the other way one is twisted. As I’m typing I realized the towers are different the 18 and up do not have additional aluminum poles that hold the solar charger panels and maybe it’s as simple as the boat cover unlatch and release . I can’t be the only one who has searched for a you tube video of how to install the Bimini top or looked at photos of the strap routing trying to figure out if it’s correct.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer sells and in many cases delivers boats in a three state area ( 100 miles or more). He told me they always install the bimini on the 242 (X & SE) before leaving the dealership. According to him just be sure the front edge is in the lowered position with the back edge of the bimini up. They do NOT recommend towing the AR or Limited S with bimini up as those tops are more easily stored in a boot secured to the tower itself and deployed upon arrival.